Game 8

The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Re: Game 8

Post by The Real Louis on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am

revvaughan wrote:To bolster Stuarts point on the recovery in game 2... I took over England in 1733 and ran it up until the end. In the time that it was under my care the economic engine produced amazing results every year. I replaced every ship in the massive navy in a two year time frame to modernize and the bank balance still didn't take a hit. The military alliance with Prussia was bolstered by Britain sending roughly 20 million pounds per year to keep the Prussian army and the Riechsarmee in the field. Even with these expenses the economic bottom line was about 1.4 to 1.5 Billion when the game shut down. If I am not mistaken that was with an EH of 6.

Shee!! What a Face
one grain of grain
Baron
Baron

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:58 am

The Real Louis wrote:Is 8 a really dull game? (compared with 9 & 10) Or are we just more "serious" (or guarded) players, less inclined to frivolous jokes about haggis and the Russian navy, lest they be misinterpreted? Answers on a postcard, please..

Well as for my part I have not found the game dull and boring!, however after taking over a position and being a Newbie at TGoK I am not sure if I was left in a good or bad position ? but I am sure that I have made plenty of mistakes that impacted my position in a negative way, I always have a mental image of Richard rubbing his hands together in glee as he mutters you "foolish newbie".
The end result is that I have had to put down a rebellion and try and fish my EH from beyond the S-Bend of my Royal Commode. which has put a dampener on my pyromaniac tendencies towards the unbelievers own commode's.

I also find it tedious to constantly have to lick the jam and cream of my fingers so as to sign orders dealing with Rumelia's tiresome troubles! Hence not much gets done until the month of Ramadan.

One Grain.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 am

The Turn has arrived.

My admittedly biased take on the news:

Mostly it was a quiet month.

-The Ingrians hang a English nobleman as a spy. Might have something to do with being mad about an English fleet on your shore.

-Sweden laughs at Russia for buying a pig in a poke. Ok, maybe that's just my interpretation of "You guys knew what you were getting, don't blame me!"

-Much hazzahing by Russian troops about avenging Tsar Peter... who they all hated anyway.

-Emperor Pedro wakes ups up from his drunken stupor to yell at a Cardinal. This exhausts him enough that he decides to take a nap.

-Russians apparently sent 6.2 trillion orthodox emissaries around the world to try to get all the Orthodox and their patriarchs to make nice nice with him as the number 1 Orthodox. Never mind that the first among equals of the Orthodox is the Patriarch of Constantinople, and that the Russian Patriarch ranks a mere 5th in seniority.

Take your time with the turn though. Responses aren't due for a bit over 3 weeks.

Last edited by Deacon on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1704
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:48 pm

I do wonder if things might get a bit nosier soon...if the French carry on poking the English the way they are, I can see the Royal Navy stopping off at the French coast after they've sunk Ingria Wink
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:58 pm

I think that will depend upon Ingria. My limited military experience is that these things take way longer than you think they should, so the English may be on station there for a long time.

Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:59 pm

As a reminder as people are working up their may turns, the royal wedding of the hispanic crown prince and his cousin the austrian princess is scheduled for June in Lisbon. Ambassadors and other notables who plan to attend should be in transit. Wedding will likely be late june, weather and travellers permitting so you still have time to send someone if you were thinking of it.
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 am

The Royal Navy has plenty more where those come from. I just hope it will not be necessary to strike in such a way. Spies are necessary, but at least make sure they are good and counter intelligence has to work a little hard next time. Oh... When caught fess up and take your lumps!

We shall send someone to the wedding and hope that all goes well.
The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am

Jason wrote:I do wonder if things might get a bit nosier soon...if the French carry on poking the English the way they are, I can see the Royal Navy stopping off at the French coast after they've sunk Ingria Wink

Poking the English? Mais non! We fastidious French would never stoop to such a thing...
The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:22 am

revvaughan wrote:Spies are necessary, but at least make sure they are good and counter intelligence has to work a little hard next time. Oh... When caught fess up and take your lumps!

Well, if France had any spies in England they would be highly-trained... But taking lumps (in any circumstance) is not something we French contemplate!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1277
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:07 pm

The Real Louis wrote:
revvaughan wrote:Spies are necessary, but at least make sure they are good and counter intelligence has to work a little hard next time. Oh... When caught fess up and take your lumps!

Well, if France had any spies in England they would be highly-trained... But taking lumps (in any circumstance) is not something we French contemplate!

The alternative is make sure your agents have a good cover story and blame someone else.

I notice in G10 that when a French Agent was caught in the UDP he claimed he was a poor Protestant exile forced to spy on his hosts by nasty men in France who had power over his wife and his dear little daughter.

The court actually extended mercy to the poor chap.

But if you are not so fussed about what happens to your agent I suggest you use recuits from other Nations (Italians & Irish seem to be best) so you can deny that they are anything to do with you.

For agents with really confused back stories I dont think many games match G7 were I am sure that many agents are double if not triple agents. With the British state totally inflilrated by Jacobites, HEIC/Orange Order, Blackbeard/Sons of liberty as well as by foreign powers which have also infiltrated the Sons of Liberty etc.

Of course all this coat turning does not make them much different from many of their political and military leaders.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1704
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm

The Real Louis wrote:

Surely the fact that any of these theoretical French spies would sound like the cast of "Allo Allo" might make them easy to spot however Wink
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:25 am

Well... One of the chaps was English and rolled very quickly on his handler when we was snagged with some documents in an unmarked case on the streets of London. The handler copped to it, but refused to name any others. However, the incriminating evidence found on him and at his place of domicile has led to additional arrests. Counter intelligence is a tricky thing.
The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Post by The Real Louis on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:31 am

revvaughan wrote:Well... One of the chaps was English and rolled very quickly on his handler when we was snagged with some documents in an unmarked case on the streets of London. The handler copped to it, but refused to name any others. However, the incriminating evidence found on him and at his place of domicile has led to additional arrests. Counter intelligence is a tricky thing.

This is a "no comment" comment - as anything direct I might say might count as "playing outside the game". But kudos to the rev.
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Thu May 31, 2018 6:09 pm

June 1708, and Major Bartholomew Yorke made the newspaper again! Well... His horse, Queenie, did at least.

Quite the equine feel to this latest turn. What with horses and carriages being gifted backwards and forth in Lisbon. And major incidents being only narrowly averted while gathered royalty go out riding. British cavalry goes to war. While Russian Cossacks suffer fatal attack. And, just for variety, over in Poona it is revealed that "brace of dead rats" is off the menu.

cat (there wasn't a rat emoticon)

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1277
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:50 pm

On subject of counter int in games do players prefer agents or watch units?
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Everything you can afford, of course.
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Paying well to be well informed! Any combination that works. The main thing is that it will cost money to have good sources in every corner of the globe. It also takes time before they are reliable and don't get caught.

king
The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Post by The Real Louis on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

Have to admit to being a bit in the doldrums with this game. It was fun dragging La Belle France up to what it ought to be from five year's of mouldering unattended, but then what am I to do with it? The Economy is fixed, Honour is high, we have whatnots of this and that and everything I could think of invented and distributed. Poking the English in the Press is fun, but barely makes up for the tedium of moving-around grain and bayonets and up-dating drill-practices. What might I be missing? (Answers not on a postcard, please, to this address.)

jamesbond007
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

From my perspective, I agree with the above. There comes a time when the above is mundane.

I prefer war and takeovers. Or to put it another way. Growth. If I played France. I would look to rule the entire Americas or wage war with either Spain or England.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

From my reading of the forums, that's how a lot of French players have gotten into trouble. France is a big, powerful position. But invincible it isn't. I think a lot of players have overplayed the position and the coordinated response has been more than France could handle. Add to that my own experience is that even things that ought to be silly easy, aren't.

I'm sure those who have played in more games than I will have a better perspective on it.

Taking that lesson, I've had more limited goals for Hispania in game 8. I have found that Richard throws stuff at you as a large position, and I'm not sure I want the problems that conquering more stuff would bring to just the logistics of organizing a large position. I'm still thinking about it... Twisted Evil

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Maybe the French problem is the same for some of the other "Big positions" On the one side players see they have a large powerful position & are prepared to throw their weight around a bit,afterall, why have a huge military force unless you are going to commit it . Some do it well, some over do it & bite off more than they can chew.

Viewed from the other side of the fence, other players know that the big positions like France are powerful & that makes alliances to counter them easier to form.

Historically we have all read the books about French expansion & react accordingly
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

I think the bit about alliances is probably important. I think a lot of the things I've read suggest that when France tries to do it all solo they often end up in trouble.

My Hispania turns are quite expensive. I'm sure it would get much worse if I was trying to fight a war against multiple other players who were coordinating against me.

count-de-monet
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 am

My experience (and throw into the mix my in-game paranoia!) is that France is the hardest position to play in terms of diplomacy. It does start as the largest and most powerful single nation, well in Europe anyway, and as a result it tends to be targeted. I think it is natural for humans to aspire to be "the best" and so France begins with the big target on its chest. Nations will aspire, rightly, to be better than France and that can means alliances to counter it, actions to reduce its power and resource.

I agree, France is not invincible and any French ruler trying it alone will make life tougher for themselves but my over-riding sense is that France is THE nation to be challenged from day 1.

jamesbond007
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

France starts off as the strongest power without doubt. But I think in game 8, two nations in particular have just about caught them.

I get the impression the French player wishes to bring La Glorie days back to France.

count-de-monet
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am

I have definitely seen other nations, in game, clearly over-take the power of France and dis-lodge them from being the single biggest power. It is achievable.

French rulers need to understand and accept that too, otherwise they are heading for a big head-ache !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm