Game 8

jamesbond007
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Re: Game 8

Post by jamesbond007 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am

In game 8. I would place France third on my list of strongest powers.
Rozwi_Game10
King
King

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am

The Real Louis wrote:Have to admit to being a bit in the doldrums with this game. ... but then what am I to do with it?

I know you've not asked for answers on a postcard, but ... if it was me, and using my experience playing Rozwi, I'd go for a bit of colonial adventure in Africa. The continent is huge, with vast swathes of land and whole npc countries for you to mix it up with without involving any other real-world players. No doubt there'd be diplomatic storms in tea cups over the action, with various allegations thrown at Louis no matter how you justify the decision. But if you pick the correct African location to mess with, you'll have the fun of fighting a war against Richard and if you're successful the rewards will only be lots of Black African heathens and not much else - no gold, no diamonds, not much in the way of ivory, yes some zebra skins and Big Cats, but nothing else. It'd be something to do, though. And if France already has treaties in place with Portugal, not to attack each other's properties or territories, then West coast or East coast of south of the Equator Africa, I'm sure you'd have no European issues to deal with while you have a bit of fun in Game 8.

[edit: the Black African heathens bit should be best viewed in the historical context of the game. it isn't me being racist]

The Real Louis
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Real Louis on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Lots of very thoughtful responses there, much appreciated, which have helped to clarify my (slight!) discontent. The (or a) "problem" with France is that no player-king is likely to attack it unprovoked, but if France actively inveigles herself into a war with another player, all the rest are likely to join in against her - making any such aggression inadvisable (especially for a cautious player). So, I can attack non-player realms with (relative) impunity - but as pointed out, like Spain, I really don't want an even bigger territory to rule - it's cumbersome enough already. Or I could indeed aim for some small tribal wars in Africa,but I know from past experience that is not a particularly easy or satisfying option (Richard is too tricky, and European armies are a poor match for guerrilla forces). I'm looking for interest, not frustration. But your answers have certainly set me thinking along some new lines, and I'll see what I can come up with for my own continuing entertainment. Thanks all again.
Rozwi_Game10
King
King

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

The Real Louis wrote:...European armies are a poor match for guerrilla forces...

I very much hope so Twisted Evil I'm trying my best to not have to fight any other players...but if some gun-wielding Whites do turn up, then Rozwi will be resorting to the methods of asymmetric warfare.

Still haven't decided what I'm doing, next turn, in Game 8.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 am

Game 8 has dropped.

The Hispanic wedding has finally happened. damn the weather and wind for all the delays.

Apparently I'm so conniving I don't even know my own plots since apparently my ambassador has offended the Elector of Brandenburg and been ejected. I am not sure whether I should be amused, or declare war. At least it gives me something to contemplate after the exhaustion of getting the wedding done! Though perhaps my ambassador was spending too much time with young Prussian officers or something. All that cadence marching and men in fancy uniforms does lead to a fair bit of vice.

Matters between Sweden and Russia seem to be heating up a bit. I think the new Tsar is justifiably annoyed that he had to pay so much to get Tsar Peter killed when there were so many who would have been willing to cut him quite a deal on that.

Russia is working hard to bring together all the Orthodox. I wish him luck with that since my experience from Game 3 was that for every 2 orthodox there were 3 opinions on a subject.

William Kidd seems to be loose in the Caribbean and seems to have a sizeable fleet of 11 cruisers.

The Danes have claimed the Nicobar islands. A lot of disease there historically, but Richard always keeps us guessing so we'll see if it ends as badly as it did the first time...
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 706
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 am

Somewhat shocked at the Prussians kicking out your Ambassador as well.

One more Royal wedding come up and hope that we can make it through the winter without gun smoke filling the air. We shall see.

Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 am

There is a certain protocol to it all, isn't there? You make a public accusation, mention the ambassador's habit of beating up widows and doing anatomically improbable things with livestock, that sort of thing.

Or at least write a letter telling me how much I smell of elderberries.

But one thing I've learned with Richard is to not to leap to conclusions. The elector of brandenburg could have said he wanted to move us into a bigger embassy and that got translated into "move them out." Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1358
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Deacon wrote:
There is a certain protocol to it all, isn't there? You make a public accusation, mention the ambassador's habit of beating up widows and doing anatomically improbable things with livestock, that sort of thing.

Or at least write a letter telling me how much I smell of elderberries.

But one thing I've learned with Richard is to not to leap to conclusions. The elector of brandenburg could have said he wanted to move us into a bigger embassy and that got translated into "move them out." Very Happy

Did you forget to send a Wedding invite to the Elector? Or did the bride and groom not send a thank you note for the Wedding gift sent by the Elector?

Damn have never charged a Envoy with beating up widows and sheep worrying........clearly need to up my game.

Think the worst I have done to a proper envoy was as Spain in G7 I threw out a Jacobite Envoy (former player not current Jacobite player who is exact in such matters) in disgrace and called him a cad and a bounder when he handed over a letter which gave James II the title of "Most Catholic Majesty". May have been a accident but it might not have been since I never got a sorry for this blatent case of title napping!

Rather more nasty to the courier who passed on order to Bey of Rumelia ordering him to execute possible rival to the new Sultan (who just happened to be the Bey's Nephew) plus transfer a lot of Rumelia land to the Sultanate. Courier's head got set up on a stake outside of Constantinople with offending message nailed to his head.

Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

Well, I had thought not getting invited to a wedding you just cursed the bride (sleeping beauty).

I clearly need to pick up an ottoman position or something like it. All these traditional European powers are far too effete to properly dismember an annoying courier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:27 pm