Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Game 8 - Page 31 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by revvaughan Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 am

That is a nasty rumor... There is not such secret weapon... I mean unit. There is nothing to see here please move along!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Well, my turn is submitted nearly 2 weeks early.

I was already doing way too much and letting it sit around wasn't going to improve things on that score. In my down time at work, I generate all sorts of hare brained ideas.

Now I slowly begin the process of building next month's turn even before I see results and I'll be back in the same boat all over again! affraid

I am feeling a bit like the wicked witch though for reasons that speaking of might run me afowl of the rules about not doing diplomacy on the boards...

hope others plots and machinations are bearing fruit. Or something.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Must admit just done the same as you and returned mine...was also turning into a large list of orders...

I'm still focusing on a bit of catch-up, trying to get things developed quickly...no evil plots going on...honest... Suspect
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:29 am

Hi,
    I have had to go overseas due to a family bereavement and will miss a turn or two. So anyone expecting diplomatic action from Rumelia and turn reviews from the Sofia Scribbler they will be delayed until my return.

Thanks,
    One Grain. Game 8 - Page 31 627167562
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:41 am

one grain of grain wrote:Hi,
    I have had to go overseas due to a family bereavement and will miss a turn or two. So anyone expecting diplomatic action from Rumelia and turn reviews from the Sofia Scribbler they will be delayed until my return.

Thanks,

Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to you and yours.

One of the reasons I do my turns electronic is so that when travel happens, business or otherwise, I don't miss out. Might be an option for you to distract you from the difficulty of the time.

We buried my father last month, and I was looking for things to distract me on the trip east (most of my family is on the east coast of the US, and I'm on the west.)
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:45 am

Another turn of thinking up new ways to improve my position, another turn of not succeeding Very Happy

I'm skipping any crazy projects this month, but have a hare brained idea to propose for next, I'll update you then on that one.

So this last turn, I thought, "Hey, didn't they start paving roads around this time? Why can't I invent road upgrades to really improve travel in my realm?"

While it is true that the improvements began in period (late 1700s), most of the big breakthroughs happened at the beginning of the 19th, so out of period. Still, I thought I'd ask.

But... I find out that I can attempt to research them (likely a long project), but first I have to implement turnpikes.

Some of you might like to know about turnpikes in game. They cost a road upgrade to implement, but afterwards you never have to pay for road repairs again. The repairs being funded out of the tolls charged to use the roads.

The downside, naturally, is that you now have toll roads which apparently can cause rioting and other unhappiness with your population. I personally suspect it should have some minor negative impact upon trade, but the description didn't mention that.

Since I'm not so stuck for cash that I mind paying for road repair, and don't want my darling little peasants to riot, No road upgrade program for me. If I were a smaller more cash strapped nation, maybe.

If somebody ends up doing this and invents road upgrades, drop me a note in game and we can talk Very Happy

But my loss on this project is your gain, since now you all know too.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:00 am

I have tried the Turnpike roads in one position and yes, the peasants rioted. They calmed down after a while and all went back to normal, have no idea if there was any positive effects apart from not worrying about road repairs.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2564
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:27 am

Its potentially worse than a just a riot.

Historically some "rioters" dressed as Women to smash up the turn pikes.

Do you want your country known for cross dressing and sexual devents????

You may be left with France or at a push Scotland & Rumelia as your only natural allies.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Its potentially worse than a just a riot.

Historically some "rioters" dressed as Women to smash up the turn pikes.

Do you want your country known for cross dressing and sexual devents????

That's the Welsh for you Wink
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Just to show you people what stupid things I waste my in-game time on, I present:

Dentistry
    In 1700 dental practice could involve bleeding, using leeches, extracting teeth, and drilling teeth to
    fit gold fillings. Treatments for tooth decay and jaw fractures were also employed. Barbers and
    surgeons typically performed dental work.

Historically in 1723 the first systematic method of treating teeth was produced by a French surgeon,
    Pierre Fauchard. This covered oral anatomy and explained how the bite functioned, as well as
    detailing operative and restorative methods, as well as the use of dentures. This can be researched
    by a suitable academy, and if available is known as the Fauchard Dental System.

In 1746 Claude Mouton introduced two developments; root canal operations, and the employment
    of white enamel to improve the look of gold crowns. In the game this research development, taken
    together, is known as the Mouton Dental System.

PS. Fauchard works for us, and soon we shall have the finest ivory dentures in the known world! Because that's how we roll. clown
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:53 am

Deacon wrote:Just to show you people what stupid things I waste my in-game time on, I present:

Dentistry
    In 1700 dental practice could involve bleeding, using leeches, extracting teeth, and drilling teeth to
    fit gold fillings. Treatments for tooth decay and jaw fractures were also employed. Barbers and
    surgeons typically performed dental work.

Historically in 1723 the first systematic method of treating teeth was produced by a French surgeon,
    Pierre Fauchard. This covered oral anatomy and explained how the bite functioned, as well as
    detailing operative and restorative methods, as well as the use of dentures. This can be researched
    by a suitable academy, and if available is known as the Fauchard Dental System.

In 1746 Claude Mouton introduced two developments; root canal operations, and the employment
    of white enamel to improve the look of gold crowns. In the game this research development, taken
    together, is known as the Mouton Dental System.

PS. Fauchard works for us, and soon we shall have the finest ivory dentures in the known world! Because that's how we roll. clown

It will certainly now give your position more Bite.! Lol. Very Happy

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Am quite impressed by this Deacon Smile Have been hoping in a couple of games to develop dentistry.

Used to work at the dental museum in London so have a bit of an interest Smile
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Jason wrote:Am quite impressed by this Deacon Smile  Have been hoping in a couple of games to develop dentistry.

The nature of my work is a bit intermittent, so I often have time at work to surf the web about game period stuff. It gives me lots of crazy ideas!

I often look for scientific advances during the period to give me ideas of things that could be usefully researched.

I hadn't realized until last week that steamships (paddleboats on rivers) were actually period, the first one being built in the late 1700s. Not sure they'd be of all that much use as just river transport, but thought it was interesting that the first ones came so early.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Jason wrote:Am quite impressed by this Deacon Smile  Have been hoping in a couple of games to develop dentistry.

The nature of my work is a bit intermittent, so I often have time at work to surf the web about game period stuff. It gives me lots of crazy ideas!

I often look for scientific advances during the period to give me ideas of things that could be usefully researched.

I hadn't realized until last week that steamships (paddleboats on rivers) were actually period, the first one being built in the late 1700s. Not sure they'd be of all that much use as just river transport, but thought it was interesting that the first ones came so early.

*shakes fist*  damn you sir, stop pinching my ideas Wink  

But seriously, have had the same thought in game, and have had academies looking into improving steam engines with this in mind. For river transport, tugs and coastal work they would be useful. Unfortunately none of the positions I have started the research in have lasted long enough.  Possibly I have been going about it wrong but my plan has always been to first of all improve steam engines and get them reduced down in size from a Newcomen-size then get hold of paddle wheel technology from the Chinese...I wonder if, to make it work in game turns, you would also need a secure source of coal.

The other thought I had was, if using them on canals for example, you would need to undertake work to strengthen the side banks to allow for extra wash damage?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:43 am

Hydraulic cement was invented in period as well Very Happy

One of the fun bits about playing a big position is that you have the cash to waste on academies to do speculative things.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:26 pm

I hadn't realised that about the cement! Useful to know Smile

It is one of the fun things about this game, being able to do that sort of research Smile I think it can benefit smaller nations too, am sure it has helped with my honour in the past...plus always the chance you might come up with something that can really benefit you in a way out of all proportion to your national size...
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Yes, though if you're a smaller nation, you really have to stay focused. You don't have the wealth to pursue lots of different options.

(Strictly speaking, hydraulic cement was reinvented, since the romans knew about it.)

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am

Oh, you're competely right Smile I tend to see the steam power developments as being the one a small nation can do-it can lead to useful developments as well as being a little bit off the wall. In G6 as Scotland I managed to quickly develop an improved engine for mines that I was certain could also be the basis for a smaller version that, with a few years development, could have been the basis of something interesting Wink
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 am

Hi all,

Back so will try and catch up on letters and such, Sofia Scribbler should be at his desk in Jan 1707,

Cheers,

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Welcome back!!! Game VIII is a very interesting LGDR World.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:16 am

Welcome back One Grain. Hope the trip was as stress-free as such things can ever be.

We look forward to your scribbling.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:46 pm

revvaughan wrote: Game VIII is a very interesting LGDR World.  

Ah, good to hear (I'm contemplating taking part - Hi, Jason!).  What makes 8 "very interesting"?  How does it differ from the other current games?
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Game 7 is very warfare orientated, so I've heard.

Game 10 is looking like it will all kick off soon. [Upcoming WSS. Savoy invaded Milan, WSS issues with the Duchy of Milan, and also HREmpire questions. Bits and Bobs happening in Africa; France doing a lot of diplomatic missions recently. Portugal starting to build up its East Africa colony. Me, Rozwi, banging the drum in preparation for war.]

Don't know about Game 9.

Game 8 seems to be very peaceful, at least for the moment. Lots of Royal Tours. Hobnobbing. Who's got the biggest, best palace. From memory, the newspaper has been dominated by stories from Europe, India and China, recently. But in truth, since I'm only playing a Swashbuckler character, I'm not really paying too much attention to much.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 am

Good to see you back One Grain Smile

G8 is interesting, I feel, as in it Europe seems to have largely avoided war completely. British unification has been achieved peacefully and I can't recall a conflict on the mainland. Infact the conflicts I can remember were a Spanish campaign against the Corsairs, the Great Monghul's on-going struggles with some of his subject princes, and the Chinese conquest of Brunei. I am a little concerned as an Omani naval force has turned up in one of my (Persia) ports without warning...but I am trying to be positive as I am certain Oman is inactive and am holding to the belief that inactive positions don't launch unprovoked attacks on attacks on active ones...
    Do jump in Tom, the water is lovely Smile

Game 9 is turning hot as England has just declared war on France following some 'provocations' including the forming of a Jacobite army on French soil. I think we're getting a cold war between the Dutch and the Russians, over dredgers (isn't that how all the fun and games in G7 started?)
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2564
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 pm

[quote="Rozwi_Game10"]Game 7 is very warfare orientated, so I've heard.

I blame the French for everything! I mean what type of Govt declares war on my friendly, peaceable and generally loveable position plus x2 others the second an inherited treaty runs out!! Just because Hapsburg Spain is run mostly through a Elderly Catholic Cardinal, A young mother of 4 children and includes two female viceroys etc do the French think Spain in G7 is a walkover?

[quote="Rozwi_Game10"]Game 10 is looking like it will all kick off soon.

Again I blame the French for everything.

[quote="Rozwi_Game10"] don't know about Game 9.

According to reports from Jason.......Its the French again. Any yes in G7 it all kicked off over Dredgers......or to be exact it kicked off when English NPC Government failed to honour Dredger Contract signed by earlier player character govt. Louis XIV sent new English player Govt the bill for his canals & new English Govt told him what he could do with his bill.

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Game 8 seems to be very peaceful, at least for the moment. Lots of Royal Tours. Hobnobbing. Who's got the biggest, best palace. From memory, the newspaper has been dominated by stories from Europe, India and China, recently. But in truth, since I'm only playing a Swashbuckler character, I'm not really paying too much attention to much.

What is wrong with G8.......does it have a defective French Govt?Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 am