Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
count-de-monet
baggins
6 posters

Revolution!?

baggins
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-09-04

Revolution!? Empty Revolution!?

Post by baggins Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Has anyone experience of players deliberately starting revolutions in their own country and then "switching" from the government to the revolutionary leadership once the revolution is underway?

High risk but if one survives one might harness the power of a modern state and the levee en masse once the Ancien regime is ditched (if you survive)
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Revolution!? Empty Re: Revolution!?

Post by count-de-monet Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I see where you are coming from with this idea but I must say my first gut instinct is "are you crazy?" I suspect this would be an absolutely mammoth undertaking and bring lots of frustration and upheaval.

You would have to be firm in your plans and be ready for a long struggle.

It should certainly be possible, and the closest that I can come to an example is England in Game 2 where a Catholic Stuart sits on the throne.....I didnt see it happen but I cant believe that was easy at all.

I think my advice would be to have a Plan B to all out revolution Very Happy

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Got to be honest, I'd go with the Count's gut reaction...I'd love to see it, so long as it happened nowhere near me! Twisted Evil

I would have thought you would suffer so much game wise in terms of economy and standing I wonder if it could work...
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 617
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 pm

In the short term. You would weaken yourself greatly. Loss of trade, taxes.You would have to restart an aggresive building campain, to repair damages. You would lose large numbers of recruits,population.Thats the good news.The two bad things would be the total unpredictabilty of the whole scheme.Any result could be possible, and the biggest point. Rival players could wait and see what you are doing too yourself, then pick you off. You could end up with a strike on your capital, or any colonies you may have. Or perhaps, if you weaken yourself enough, someone may try to take you out completely. So it would be a hell of a risk.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:15 pm

I think if you wanted to do this, you'd be better to create an alternate position in the nation in question rather than play the nation, and start as the revolutionary!

the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:19 pm

James Bond's comments could be describing the French revolution. France survived and, in the eyes of some, went on to great glories. It would be a very risky undertaking but who knows. Imagine the satisfaction if it succeded. But not near me please.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

heard of this in anpther game where the French went all Republic only for it all to go pear shaped and the Royalists make a sharp come back it was not pretty as the country was so divided and prey to foregin invasion and take over, not a good move if you are thinking of it, most nations have a royalist attitude.....
    baggins
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-09-04

Post by baggins Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

well i guess i have my answer, dont do it!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:18 pm

I think you could, if you really wanted, but I think the answer is to do it over a long, long period.

You'd have to build a political infrastructure that would support it before you did it. Establish a parliament or the like to 'advise' the king. create some public education so that the commoner is informed enough, etc, etc.

Otherwise, I'd guess as the Kingmaker suggests, people would just get upset and confused and want a King back....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am