Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

G7 - France vs. England - Page 43 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by Regor Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Basileus, Jason; "mint sauce' to you both! No wonder this games going to hell in a handcart.

Fortunately Stuart is keeping us appraised of the situation but it really makes no sense. I dont get the reason for Spain attacking France, the peace conference - with everyone wanting a different slice of different pies and not wanting to speak to some candidates.....

The HWIC seem to be less English and more Spanish but James and William just don't know what is going on? James is a new NPC and William is a prisoner of errr, someone.

How the marrying off of children is going to help this game heaven alone knows.....

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Bah, just you wait to I unleash my highly trained flocks of war sheep...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:12 am

Regor wrote:Basileus, Jason; "mint sauce' to you both! No wonder this games going to hell in a handcart.

Fortunately Stuart is keeping us appraised of the situation but it really makes no sense. I dont get the reason for Spain attacking France, the peace conference - with everyone wanting a different slice of different pies and not wanting to speak to some candidates.....

The HWIC seem to be less English and more Spanish but James and William just don't know what is going on? James is a new NPC and William is a prisoner of errr, someone.

How the marrying off of children is going to help this game heaven alone knows.....

I think the reason Spain has finally started to march North to join up with Pop Habsburg and the Dutch is that Spain has spent the last ??? years saying of "course we are on your side and would love to be getting stuck in against the Frogs but sadly we have signed this non aggression pact and just can not do anything so dishonourable as to break our word."

Sadly for Spain the war dragged, 10 pages in the forum went by, then 20, then 50 etc etc until finally both the French Government had gone and the 5 year non aggression pact had expired and Spain had to put up or for ever be viewed as the cowardly black sheep of the Hapsburg family. Rather than one of the big, tough mountain sheep mentioned earlier.

Sadly however when it comes to England and who is to be Queen my crystal ball seems to be on the blink. But I am fairly sure no one is marrying a three year old. Not unless Richard is being even more unkind than normal.

Finally in consideration of rather odd Hussian posts - if the Spanish & Moldavians link up with the Austrians and the Dutch will we have the Battle of 5 Armies?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:26 am

I don't think I'm stepping out of line in saying that while I played the Jacobites, I never entertained any offers to marry any 3 year olds!

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Regor wrote:Basileus, Jason; "mint sauce' to you both! No wonder this games going to hell in a handcart.

I think the reason Spain has finally started to march North to join up with Pop Habsburg and the Dutch is that Spain has spent the last ??? years saying of "course we are on your side and would love to be getting stuck in against the Frogs but sadly we have signed this non aggression pact and just can not do anything so dishonourable as to break our word."

Sadly for Spain the war dragged, 10 pages in the forum went by, then 20, then 50 etc etc until finally both the French Government had gone and the 5 year non aggression pact had expired and Spain had to put up or for ever be viewed as the cowardly black sheep of the Hapsburg family. Rather than one of the big, tough mountain sheep mentioned earlier.

Sadly however when it comes to England and who is to be Queen my crystal ball seems to be on the blink. But I am fairly sure no one is marrying a three year old. Not unless Richard is being even more unkind than normal.

Finally in consideration of rather odd Hussian posts - if the Spanish & Moldavians link up with the Austrians and the Dutch will we have the Battle of 5 Armies?

I understand the Moldavians are not from their national army (so Moldavia is not at war with France) but mercenary units in the service of Spain
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Deacon wrote:
    I don't think I'm stepping out of line in saying that while I played the Jacobites, I never entertained any offers to marry any 3 year olds!

In La Gloire du Roi the only possible bride mentioned to date for James Stuart was the Comtessa di Pavia nothing at all said about Spanish Child Brides.

In some ways its a pity the Jacobite position has now had to meld with the English Government position since seeing how your active Stuart King could have managed active player run houses of Lords & Commons would have been interesting. Mad

However I look forward in due course to the Whigs, Tories and the HWIC trying to sort out a suitable Queen for their King. Mind you they may not have sorted out who is King yet.

Perhaps they have been inspired to follow the Polish Model and in future England will be an elective Monarchy.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes, it was disappointing I had to drop when I did. I think it would have been interesting. But I think a few months of the position not being played and it probably won't be a tenable position any more. Pity.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Please do not insult some of the finest runners in the nation that is called WALES!!!(ok a principality really)
    Those mountain sheep will actually soon be donning the red jerseys of Wales so as to ensure we will actually win the rugby world cup as our current team have lost their manliness and elan, . What happened to the backbone that aussie was supposed to have installed.
    Anyway, 3 years in carmarthen with a load of sheep sounds like a perpetual leisure heaven, remmeber they will never take you to the csa! anyway i digress.

Les Miserables is now premiering so the french will naturally be distracted by Anne Hathaways charms not to mention her sylph like body and thus I cannot see them getting their act together against a 3 pronged allied attack upon the very nerve centre of france! Then cap it all a week later the Hobbit premieres so basically the French high command will be nowhere near a smelly dirty battlefield if they can help it. Profiteroles and a red carpet, they couldnt miss!!

Regarding the Moldovans, they wouldnt know a decent premiere cru from the pig swill they drink in their damp misty crags they call home.

Lastly with regard war crimes, I would put TRKL up first in the dock as the doyen of utter bad taste, which is a criminal offence in french hedonistic circles.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm

[quote="Stuart Bailey"]
    Deacon wrote:

In some ways its a pity the Jacobite position has now had to meld with the English Government position since seeing how your active Stuart King could have managed active player run houses of Lords & Commons would have been interesting. Mad

However I look forward in due course to the Whigs, Tories and the HWIC trying to sort out a suitable Queen for their King. Mind you they may not have sorted out who is King yet.

Perhaps they have been inspired to follow the Polish Model and in future England will be an elective Monarchy.

I would like to see players championing the HoL and another the Commons. What larks would result? And as for the KIng do I read it that William is now under virtual house arrest and that James is running the show. Are either Kingly positions NPC's now? If both are then the Sons of Liberty seem to have done well for themselves. It'll be amusing to watch the marrying off of ladies to an NPC. (This must have happened in other LGDR games??) And what of the HWIC - are they really English? What do they do?

Giz a clue....
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Dear Hessian,

I watched a match on S4C - brilliant the commentary was exciting and unintelligible much preferred to Moore-O or Barnsey. And sheep medicines were advertised in Welsh and English at half-time. Superb. Bring on the war sheep.....

Best of all the great Gareth Edwards was there - speaking Welsh.

Perhaps we could play a welsh position in LGDR.... remember you heard it here first. Twisted Evil
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 pm

We will soon be talking about the best rugby team (yes, you know its Redruth)and the possibilty of playing a Cornish position. Think of the piracy options for Cornwall in the eighteenth century, not to mention smuggling, wrecking, rebellion and religous unrest bounce
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 am

Will there be a chain of Fast Pasty Shops with Free Cider for all In Cornwall. Is it possiable tha tthe Duchy will proclaim it's independence, seek a union with Wales & go it alone on the world stage.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Stuff Cornwall...independence for Wessex I cry, under the House of Godwinson drunken

Vaguely seriously, perhaps a swashbuckling role? A Cornish romantic (poet? artist?), with a smattering of the language, looking back to the days of an independent Cornwall, wandering around stiring up trouble...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 pm

[quote="Regor"]
    Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Deacon wrote:

I would like to see players championing the HoL and another the Commons. What larks would result? And as for the KIng do I read it that William is now under virtual house arrest and that James is running the show. Are either Kingly positions NPC's now? If both are then the Sons of Liberty seem to have done well for themselves. It'll be amusing to watch the marrying off of ladies to an NPC. (This must have happened in other LGDR games??) And what of the HWIC - are they really English? What do they do?

Giz a clue....

Its 99% certain that both Kings are now NPC.

This means that the Jacobites position seems to be slowly being taken over by the Whig Grandees lead by the Duke of Norfolk who dominate the House of Lords and who formed King Williams Government before they decided that toadying like mad to King Louis was the way forward.

Toadying to King Louis and Noble power means that King James policy of trying to establish that he is not a total puppet of Paris and found a new Catholic line by taking a Spanish Bride is probably not going to happen. Indeed the Whigs seem to think starting a War with Spain is a good way to win back lost Public support.

The Whigs seem to have stashed King James somewhere safe and forgotten about him.

King William is still in St James Palace and is guarded by his loyal Tories who now control the House of Commons and are lead by John Henry the Viceroy of the America's. Partly this is for King Williams protection but also it stop's the Austrians, HWIC etc talking to him. From the point of view of their Nobles nither of the NPC Kings are idea having too much baggage and too many idea's of their own.

For time being the Tories seem to be happy to sit back and watch the Whigs get rid of the French. Will Whigs & Tories the co-operate ?????????? Who Knows?

They do seem to share a degree of doubt about the motives and loyalty of the HWIC which are various times seems to have been considered a front for pirates, a Jacobite 5th column, A French 5th column and a Spanish 5th column.
    The HWIC claims its just misunderstood.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Ah, thank you. Its probably good for England that both kings are NPC its a mammoth task for John Henry to try to bring order to the nation. I though it was clever French diplomacy to get England attacking the Spanish but if so its backfired with Spain now out of treaty obligations attacking. With France continuing to fight Austria (I have no idea about the UDP!) the issues seem to be clarifying.

Spain ought to do well if a limited war ensues with the English and French. At least a sensible and realistic approach might follow a peace proposal.

How different Europe looks from Jan 1706 and indeed Jan 1704...

Cheers Stuart.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Regor wrote:Ah, thank you. Its probably good for England that both kings are NPC its a mammoth task for John Henry to try to bring order to the nation. I though it was clever French diplomacy to get England attacking the Spanish but if so its backfired with Spain now out of treaty obligations attacking. With France continuing to fight Austria (I have no idea about the UDP!) the issues seem to be clarifying.

Spain ought to do well if a limited war ensues with the English and French. At least a sensible and realistic approach might follow a peace proposal.

How different Europe looks from Jan 1706 and indeed Jan 1704...

Cheers Stuart.

Its funny but England is now starting to look like Spain in 1699/1700 with various factions trying to agree on who is going to be King - both possible Kings being NPC's with foreign links.

Oddly in 1699 some of the Spanish factions also seemed to at least consider a foreign war - against Portugal - to try and unite the Nation but I dont think they actually started to bombard Portugese Ports! And now Portugal & Spain seem to rub along Ok even if the Spanish can not find a bride for the Crown Prince of Portugal either.

I thought the Hapsburgs were ment to be good at this marriage diplomacy lark? Clearly our G7 ones are defective! Do you think its to do with keeping ferrets in the bedroom?

On the basis that most of Spain's attention is on the Franco-Hapsburg war and ferrets can not swim very well it could be a really good war for the Duke of Norfolk. A subtle twist on that old English policy of fighting the French to the last German we now have the "Norfolk Shuffle" - Fight the Germans to the last Frenchman.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm

But who will he use to fight to the last Spaniard?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I think the English got tricked by the French into attacking Spain. France has everything to gain from this but the English have nothing to gain, in my humble opinion. So why do it? I really cannot see the point to it.
    I am still of the opinion that it is the same player behind Norfolk as behind Marlborough, unless anyone knows anything different. The player had previously said that he would do the Khansas City shuffle. Well thats happened a few times now. The only sense that I can see of it is that the player thought that King James' star was rising and so did a deal with the King James player and that required joining in with the RKLF player. I genuinely feel sorry if that is the case and that Norfolk (Marlborough)is now working with France.
    As to France, well the clever money is on RKLF is back and is playing the role. Who else out there would so cynically go on about peace and honour and then attack when the other side is observing a truce? Sorry, if I have just lowered the tone of the debate but thats what RKLF does to some of us Evil or Very Mad
    Now I could be entirely wrong about all this, but players of this game are a devious bunch, so the chances are that it is best to presume the worst pale

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Will you never learn?

You built the character of RKL up yourself into some kind of monster who wanted to invade all of Europe, spread poisonous lies and propaganda which turned the game into an exercise in spite directed against me.

Those who remember how I played in the game know that I went out of my way to help and support weaker players, was a steadfast ally and friend to many. Time and again I backed down to keep the peace, granting the Hapsburgs very favourable terms under the Treaty of Ghent to allow them to keep their inheritance together. I even signed a non-aggression treaty with you to satisfy your paranoid delusions about France.

But that wasn’t good enough for you. You were determined to attack France (indeed, have repeatedly claimed as much in earlier posts on this thread). When I couldn’t be persuaded to play the all conquering hero and give you an excuse to fight me, you broke your treaty with France. You then bribed most nations in Europe to either joining your gang or hiring their army for you to use in your attacks.

When I left, a game year ago, you continued your campaign against me on the forum, initially disbelieving I had left. Then after a few months when Jason joined to play France in the expectation that the personal hostility would vanish, you continued to attack France and yet more of the gang joined in. That level of treachery was too much for that fine and honourable player. Then another came along and you (backed by your pal Hessian, that ever so loyal ally of France), conducted a witch hunt on the forum to try to establish who the player was. You failed, and so it is back to the old tactic of accusing and blaming me for your own inadequacies.

It appears that no player is able to play France in G7 without suffering from your hostility and determination to drive them out completely. You have destroyed the spirit of LGDR by your attitude and by refusing to drop what is clearly a personal vendetta against me.

It won’t make any difference to you, but I can confirm that I am not in G7, indeed I am not in any game of LGDR. I have thought about joining G2, and thank the players in that more civilised game for their encouragement. They seem to value my experience and abilities as a player. I have discussed the possibility of joining G2, or rejoining G7 with the GM. From your comments and those of others it is quite clear that if I did rejoin G7, it would degenerate even further into an exercise of “let’s destroy RKL at all costs” rather than a historical simulation. To a lesser extent if I joined G2, then certain players may well join that game to continue their vendetta.

Basileus wrote: Sorry, if I have just lowered the tone of the debate but thats what RKLF does to some of us Evil or Very Mad

You are not sorry at all, and never will be.

Other players will make their own minds up about what you are trying to do and reach their own conclusions why. You and your pals have made it impossible for me to return to the game, and will no doubt celebrate your achievement. Much as I don’t like to disappoint the many players over the years who value my advice and friendship, I have decided to close my forum account.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Sorry to see you go Louis and please do give serious thought to G2, its a remarkably sane game and I would be very surprised if anyone carried on any vendetta there.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I have to say, I'm mostly happy to be out of game 7. The pettiness this thread repeatedly evidences I think diminishes the game.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 am

rkl.i don't often partake in the forum, though i do keep up to date. I for one will be sorry to see you leave for your participation has been both enlightening and educational.
    Having read through this thread, The tone and sentiments which have been shown have, at times, raised eyebrows and i think we should none of us forget that this is but a game...
    I reiterate what others have said, namely that game 2 is much more civilised and i'm sure that regardless of the position you may take, as a player you would be made most welcomed.
    Monsieur, je vous souhaite tout bonheur pour le future.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

I wish you well and hope that you remain in (at least) one LGDR game. Many players will wish you well. Good Luck and dare I say it ...... Merry Christmas to you and yours. santa
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Jason wrote:Sorry to see you go Louis and please do give serious thought to G2, its a remarkably sane game and I would be very surprised if anyone carried on any vendetta there.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread.

Oddly the only real long lasting vendetta's in G2 have been between players and Richards NPC's so half the Princes in the Empire and the Pope hate the Holy Roman Emperor but very few players have had a bad word to say about him.

While the Rumelians have had a blood feud lasting decades with the Venetians & the Janissary corp.

Think this could mean a few positions have NPC lists which basically say "Hates the Emperor" or "Hates the Ottoman Sultan" after about 50% of the characters. Which tends to be a bit of a clue as to how you can increase your honour in the short term but may not do the quality of your Ministers advise much good.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Think this could mean a few positions have NPC lists which basically say "Hates the Emperor" or "Hates the Ottoman Sultan" after about 50% of the characters. Which tends to be a bit of a clue as to how you can increase your honour in the short term but may not do the quality of your Ministers advise much good.

LoL top advice Stuart.... anyhow this talk of advisors means I better review mine and have a bit of a sorting out. I dont use them half enough... (Living in a fantasy world ....still) Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am