Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

2 posters

Muskets vs. Bows

tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2008-10-26

Muskets vs. Bows Empty Muskets vs. Bows

Post by tek_604 Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 am

Following on from this thread:

baggins wrote:Review of Warfare in the Eighteenth Century by Jeremy Black

I've always been interested to see the results of a LGDR battle between an army equipped with muskets (flint- or match- lock), versus an army equipped with bows. Although muskets represent a technological leap, they do have their drawbacks. So, how well do the muskets of 1700-1750 stand up to massed bowmen? I would also be interested to know if bows could outrange a musket.

Has anyone seen a result of a battle in LGDR between these two types of army? What was the result? Can the result be put down to poor Generalship, or was the playing field generally level, with one side coming out better due to equipment?

I ask this question due to the thoughts of the Duke of Wellington, who I believe was considering deploying bowmen during the Napoleonic Wars, as the bow outranged the musket of the time, and had a much greater mass of firepower. I don't know if this is entirely true, I cannot remember my source for this.

Muskets vs. Bows Empty Re: Muskets vs. Bows

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 pm

I've not had experience of musket vs. bow, but I would also like to hear peoples opinions. In G6 I'm very likely going to be using both in the near future.

I think bows, like TF, should be far more succesful in certain situations and terrains. In G6 we should also soon see French (away) forces engage Morrocan (home) forces - which I will find very interesting.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:50 pm

I have beaten the only bow forces i faced in G3, but that maybe due to superoir number s and tactics.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am