Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
revvaughan
Deacon
Kingmaker
tek_604
8 posters

The Glory of Kings... wiki!!

tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2008-10-26

The Glory of Kings... wiki!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Glory of Kings... wiki!!

Post by tek_604 Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, managed to do up to April 1700, only 2 more to go to complete game 8.

Takes about 30-45 minutes to manually copy/paste a paper, which is not so bad, I guess.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Had an idea at work for an application to parse the lgdr newspapers. Means having to copy & paste the text out of the paper into a template file, but the application would then parse the template file, creating a text file containing the wiki code which can be simply pasted into the wiki.

Should make it possible to process a newspaper in 5 minutes (depending upon how fast you can copy & paste text!).

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 am

Success!! cheers

I've written an autoparser for LGDR newspapers. As I said before, it does require copy & pasting the text from the paper into a template, but, this template can now be parsed and a wiki page generated.

So now it all depends on the speed of the copy/paste process; page generation takes less than a second, so can be ignored.

There are a couple of improvements I can make, but I'll start uploading papers using v1.0 now.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, thats it for today... I've been working through the papers I have, and only have to wiki the new units, and buildings that are extra rules.

The wiki now contains 117 pages; at the start of today, there were 18.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 pm

whoa way to go well done.....
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Excellent work, much appreciated.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Just finished uploading all the maps I have, from my setup, and also updates from the newspapers I have.

In addition, I've linked all the maps (which can be found under Rules & Guides) to the relevant Gazetter entries. Kinda cool.

But, I need people to send me maps that are not yet on the wiki? Anyone?
    Frank
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2009-11-29

Post by Frank Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm

i have just send you my maps of Game 8. Hopefully they are useful for you.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Had a browse, very impressed. Excellent work. I like being able to read the paper whilst waiting for the postman to deliver the turn. Many thanks
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 am

Sometimes, the odd character might not come out right, so I encourage anyone to edit these odd characters out.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Congratulations Tek. A very good,informative site,and easy to navigate. Good work.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Likewise... Very impressed. I will try to get some of the Game II information up when the term is up.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 am

revvaughan wrote:Likewise... Very impressed. I will try to get some of the Game II information up when the term is up.

Its probably best that you send me the newspapers for Game 2, as I have the automated parser to create the pages in the same format. Processing the papers only takes as long as it takes me to copy & paste the information out, so something like 2 minutes for the stories. I then create information/gazetter etc. seperately from the newspaper, but this really doesn't take long.

I'm happy enough to do all this processing, I just need the papers to do it! Maps are always useful also.

I've also started to put parts of the rules, but this is a lower priority.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:47 am

Can we have a forum section for wiki announcements? I hate to clog game discussion threads with wiki updated messages.
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36 am

Just finished entering all the army & navy units from the rules onto the wiki. These are all found under miltary, but I also added Army & Navy categories to make lists easier to read than the military list alone.

What I need now are any special units available to specific countries; for example, I have put Korean specific units. I assume these special units only become known to the player when they receive their start turn, but this information should be on the wiki (unless anyone disagrees?).

Edit: Wiki now stands at 193 pages.

Last edited by tek_604 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention the number of wiki pages.)
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 am

tek_604 wrote:Can we have a forum section for wiki announcements? I hate to clog game discussion threads with wiki updated messages.
    when I get back next week I will make one

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Just wanted to say, I have finally had the time to look through the wiki and found it an excellent resource! Well done, it's excellent. cheers
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Post by tek_604 Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 am

I just want to say that I am happy to be the maintainer of the wiki. But, I can only update the information I have. I know that a lot of information for various games is just not available, and once again, I ask you all to contact me if you can fill in any of the gaps we have (for example, games 4, 5 & 6 are not on the wiki!).

I also need maps, country specific information (unique units)... Anything people have really, as long as its in some form of electronic file!

For the record, the wiki now stands at 308 pages.

@King: giving you a poke for the wiki announcements section Wink
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 am

Tec poking you back check the forum its in there..... lol!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 am

Tek, got a few days off. If I can get organised, I'll put together some bits on Chinese units

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 am