Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
The Little Corporal
count-de-monet
Kingmaker
jamespatterson2uk
8 posters

Trade

jamespatterson2uk
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Trade Empty Trade

Post by jamespatterson2uk Mon May 12, 2008 1:05 pm

Ah the dreaded trade... do any of the more experienced players want to give the newer players some idea of trade and how it works. I seem to invest in key areas without too much difficulty but how do i know what my neighbours trade or indeed what lowering tariffs would do... etc. etc.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Trade Empty Re: Trade

Post by Kingmaker Mon May 12, 2008 3:02 pm

I will reply later when I get home currently on a roof top with me laptop or simon can answer?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Mon May 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I think it is getting harder and harder to judge how well you are doing individually on trade without access to the old Economic Report. Your trade investments may be returning higher profits year on year but are they growing faster or slower than other players ?

I can only speak from my own experience but broadly the approach I take is as follows ;

Remember the early 1700s is NOT an industrial age. The economies of all nations will be agricultural. I therefore try to invest in trade opportunities that represent the "harvesting" of natural resources. It could easily be deemed cheating but thankfully Richard allows the historic knowledge of mineral deposits to be exploited by players.

So deposits of gold, silver, coal, iron, diamonds etc are good ideas. I like to look into commodoties that can be mined, as the only real expense is labour (and dare I advocate the use of slave labour!).

Looking to the natural world, trade in areas such a timber, fishing, salt are likewise easy to establish. While not moving to industrialisation, a timber trade could for example be developed to support investments in paper, furniture etc.

Cottage trade such as wool and textiles, especially to some of the historic centres for these should also be a good investment.

A successful trade policy doesnt always rely on just where and what you trade in. Nearly all aspects can be supported by other actions to improve your profits.

In my opinion, unless you are playing someone like France with huge tax revenues this is the most important aspect of the game. Get it wrong and everything else you want to do with die on its feet through a lack of financial clout. You can never invest enough in trade, and you should seek to maximise your investments (always try to make them in January) as much as possible.
    The Little Corporal
    The Little Corporal
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 81
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by The Little Corporal Mon May 12, 2008 8:25 pm

The Count is spot on in my opinion, look to the natural resources of your nation, don't get caught up in unhelpful trade agreements - ask you trade minister if it's worth your while and don't forget invest in January.

Trade missions are good both in your nation and outside, trade fairs on busy river or road links, get the ruler of a nation to favour one of your products and all the nobles may well buy it too...

...however invading your neighbours always brings more money in than trade and, if you can avoid it, never have bigger outgoings than yur tax income, view trade as a bit of spending money if you are a small nation, the big boys can look after themselves!
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Tue May 13, 2008 10:20 am

As a suggestion for other areas, if you have access to colonial positions in the right climate, establishing plantations for cotton, tobacco and sugar are also good - again based on labour intensive costs.

alcohol such as beer and wine are also good.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 am

tabacco take time though I have some going and was told it would take 7 years to see any profits from them
    jamespatterson2uk
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by jamespatterson2uk Tue May 13, 2008 11:23 am

In that case the economic report is really a necessity i would think... its almost impossible right now to even tell which areas of my trade are successful. for example, if i have invested in 4 or 5 areas in the Baltics how do i know which are being moer successful than the others etc etc.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Tue May 13, 2008 12:24 pm

I have found tobacco to be potentially a massively profitable trade and if you start from scratch may still be worth the time investment.

If you think thats bad, I had an advisor suggest planting cork trees to make bottling my wines better. I happily put in place the plan, to then be told it would be ready in TWENTY years ! Shocked
    The Little Corporal
    The Little Corporal
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 81
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by The Little Corporal Tue May 13, 2008 7:39 pm

I think all these posts point to the need to re-introduce the economic report...I think an appeal to the gods of Agema and the odd sacrifice will do the job!
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:32 am

This has been the nightmare that I have with England in Game II. I am learning slowly but surely what the individual who had the country before me did. Slowly, but surely I will put it back to right. However, I will never turn down suggestions on what needs to be done. Very Happy
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:36 am

LGDR is not a quick game thats why you need to set objects and stick to them give your self a 5 year target or plan as the Tsar calls them king
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 am

Hi. New here too.

I just joined a game and my very first turn happens to be January. How bad is it if I wait until February to invest? After I've had a chance to talk to my advisors on where to invest? My economy needs work, but I don't want to waste recruits on things that won't help me....
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:39 am

Placing your investments in February will be fine. I joined a game recently and had to make some trade investments in the April. Not ideal but remember better than NONE.

If you invest later than August time, I would advise you to expect virtually nil returns for that particular year on the new investments, although of course they would still accrue a benefit for the following years.

In summary, I would still recommend investing in February, or even March if you need a bit more time. Plan to invest in January though for the following year to fully maximise the benefits of investment.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:48 am

as above do your budgt a trade in january, saying that I just realised I need to do mine for game 3!!!!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks folks. Appreciate the advice. Want to get a couple of turns under my belt before I announce myself to the world.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Deacon.
    A new game is starting shortly. Game eight. About june time.Will you be joining? The nations are going thick and fast, if you want to join.Good luck and enjoy. Very Happy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Yes, the game 8 notice somewhere on the web is what brought me in. I played a lot of PBM back in the day including Delenda Est Carthago and went looking to see what still existed. I missed my first choice in game 8 by days, but have signed up for something else that looks interesting.

Figured I'd pick up an existing position and get my feet wet. Richard was kind enough to suggest a position. Waiting for my first real turn to come back at the moment.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sat May 01, 2010 11:41 am

ahh welcome them any particular game you are in?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat May 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Game 3 :-)

I guess I'll say that I picked up the Papal States. I think I even have an idea for my 5 year plan...
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sat May 01, 2010 4:41 pm

ohhhh nice........
    baggins
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-09-04

Post by baggins Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 am

In my start up turn I have listed Trade revenues then main, secondary, third, fourth and fifth products, under these headings products are listed such as Tea and Porcelain. Is 1) agema telling me that what's selling is tea and porcelain or is it 2) that these are the products the previous player has told agema to prioritise (i.e. what he thinks will sell?)
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm

I think this is telling you what you have investments in and are profiting from.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 am

That is my understanding as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content