Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+6
revvaughan
count-de-monet
Ardagor
Kingmaker
Deacon
Mustang Shooting Stars
10 posters

The new guy

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The new guy - Page 2 Empty Re: The new guy

Post by Kingmaker Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:56 pm

try reading the 2 guides I wrote as well...
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2011-10-17

Post by Mustang Shooting Stars Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Kingmaker wrote:try reading the 2 guides I wrote as well...

I've read the advanced guide just now - great stuff, thanks!

Moving on to the beginners' guide later this evening - that's my logic for ya
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi, I'm not in G8 and support the advice you have recieved. I'm shrot on Internet access but in a week or two would be happuy to help as a disinterested spectator.

BTW I've learned a lot from the other guys and you already.

Very Happy
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Mustang Shooting Stars Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi all,
    Well I am back after a fairly brief and largely disaster ridden first dalliance with GoK as the leader of Ottoman Rumelia in game 8 last year. I think I ended up with -28,000 recruits when I eventually left. One little mistake was all it was... I certainly learnt a lot though. I hope.
    Because I have returned to a position in game 9 as an African nation. I can't find any mention of being an African nation on here so I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to any threads or just offer a few words of advice to help me get off to a good start. Perhaps a few interesting tales from people who have played as an African country long/short term would be interesting too. Good luck all.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 pm

A small error resulting in a labour shortage does not even get into the list of great Rumalian diplomatic disasters and other ways of shooting yourself in the foot I have known. One Grain can no doubt add more but my own enteries would include:

1) First turn in game......get attacked by the Sultan (who is annoyed because the Grand Vizier has ignored his letters?). Janissary Corp loots an undefended Adrainople 10,000 other Sultanate troops end up dead in the ditch at Athens.

2) Rumalian Jannissary Corp stages mutiney against GV. Effort to end mutiney ends with 2800 dead Janissary types and starts a blood feud with whole corp.

3) GV gets assassinated.....his sons attack Venice in revenge. The Doge may not have actually ordered the crime (suspect the Janissary loving Bey of Egypt may have had a hand).

4) In seperate incidents to No 3 Rumelia capturers Venice in one month (pity half the place gets burnt down) and offers to exchange for the Bourbons out of Egypt and Syria. About half the game then declares war on a poor overworked underpaid Ottoman Civil Servant!! Whats so special about Venice anyway?
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Mustang Shooting Stars Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Ha, amazing I don't feel too bad now! Thanks Stuart. This game really is fantastic and who would have thought it would have such a darkly comic side to it?

I had actually just read a few entries by One Grain and I suspect he took over the game 8 Rumelia mess that I created for him.

I'm thinking the fact I, er, miscalculated and turned nearly the entire adult male working population into heavily armed city watchmen didn't exactly help the harvests in the past three years (that I gather have failed?).
    I don't know you One Grain but please accept my humble apology...
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 am

Well good luck as an african nation: I can tell you that the Asante seem to do well playing off the various European powers and trading slaves for muskets and the Rowzi in a game I played in became a force to be reckoned with fighting the Portuguese along the Zambezi and executing several european men for interfering with the governance of their lands.

Again selling captured enemies as slaves generates some income.

And I think I'm in my 3rd iteration my first was a short spell wearing the game as a major nation - got it all wrong and dropped out within a game year. Then I lasted about 4 years before disaster when I wrapped myself in my flag and blew my brains out! Now Im in my 7th year.... and counting. The new guy - Page 2 2962972013
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Mustang Shooting Stars Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm

I think it will suit me nicely. Plenty of interesting history/folk lore to read... but not so much that I feel like I'll never get to grips or do it justice so should be a nice place for my second GoK position I hope.

I am slightly horrified with how easily I've taken to the idea of slavery as a nice little earner but that's role playing for you I guess/hope!?

Finally, any one have any idea or experience with how Richard usually deals with 'magic'? To my priests and populace it is, without question, something real and part of their religion and daily life and something that 'works'. But if, say, I tried to subvert an enemy general with an incantation or cure some of my troops injuries with a witch doctor/voudou priest would Richard look at if from a more scientific/western point of view?
    Will be interesting finding out for sure while attempting to hold back a charging war elephant herd with my reanimated horde of slain red-coat zombies I guess...
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

LoL - no idea I was just a bit player in Africa and well, just suck it and see!! afro
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 pm

"I had actually just read a few entries by One Grain and I suspect he took over the game 8 Rumelia mess that I created for him."

Don't feel bad Mustang. Taking over Rumelia in G8 was my 1st ever position so I did not know what a good or bad position was, hardest thing I found was trying to guess what objectives you had been trying to achieve and besides being a noob to the game I made my share of mistakes anyway.
    You provided some fun as I read your article on fat women and so I decided to include an article to the London Gazette about "Sugar Cube" as the Bey's favourite concubine. Richard promptly added her as a personality on my next turn sheet which I found quite nice. I then wrote about a her walking in a garden in Sofia that I had looked up on google. Richard promptly withdrew the cost of the garden from my treasury at the point of a gun which I found not so nice, which reduced my state funds to such a level that the poor Bey was forced to don the rags of a pauper and wander the streets of Sofia late at night begging for enough ashrafis so as to buy his favourite jam tart for his morning tea. OHHH how low can you go!!!!.

One Grain. The new guy - Page 2 627167562
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Mustang Shooting Stars
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Mustang Shooting Stars Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:32 am

Oh dear! A heart breaking and humbling experience One Grain... although very amusing.
    I hope that none of the relatives of the (alleged) looters I played archery practice with stumbled upon you while your luck was down - although I was always very generous to the poor so I hope you were given a few crumbs to eat in return.

Are you in the new game 9 too? I can't wait to receive my first turn.
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Sadly I'm not in G9 but I hope it is a fun game.

Time restraints would mean if I had joined I would be playing two games badly instead of one game moderately.

Cheers. The new guy - Page 2 627167562

One Grain.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm

In case the player who has drawn the Rumelian card in G9 is now feeling too bad I feel that I should point out that Rumelia has had its good moments even after total disasters:

1) After a bit of grovelling The Sultan forgave his hard working and loyal Grand Vizier............on the understanding that he obtained for the Sultan..............The King of Rumania's (Hopsdar of Wallachia grown too big for his boots) head on a plate!

2) After a long dispute the Ottoman Empire is finally free of the Tyranny of the Janissary Corp (ditto the Mamlukes)........And the Athens Slavers got a good price from the Elector of Hanover for the left overs.  After being a total pain and probably the largest liability any goverment could have the feeling now is that the Elector's Janissary/Mamluke Guard will probably turn into super soldiers out of pure spite.

3) The whole of Venice finally did burn..........pity someone seems to have rebuilt the place.

4) The Bourbons and their lackies finally did leave the Ottoman Empire and stopped picking on poor, hardworking, friendly Ottoman civil servants  to return to their true love of bickering with the Pope, English, Germans etc.

I really think in G9 the Bourbons should try out the "be nice to Rumelians" tactic for once!  Not that I am hinting that poor, hardworking, Ottoman civil servants like one Grain and Sugar Lump would be open to bribes!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm