Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

Non-Europeanism in Game 8

Non-Europeanism in Game 8 Empty Non-Europeanism in Game 8

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am

In Game 8 we've had the April/May 1701 turn (eg latest newspaper dated April 1701) and it has suddenly occurred to me that the game does seem to have a strong non-European player base.

Looking at the most admired list for example, four are Far Eastern nations, four are Ottoman (!) and only two are European. The players do seem active too and I wonder if this will change the dynamic of the game as it develops?
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Non-Europeanism in Game 8 Empty Re: Non-Europeanism in Game 8

Post by Goldstar Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 pm

It's very interesting, will the Sultan gather his hosts and march on Vienna, the Crimean Tartars are certainly very active. The various Chinese governors are supplying the Emperor with increasingly lavish gifts, to curry favour and the Moghul Emperor is proposing an all India conference. The situation in indochina is equally complex with the Burmese on the march. Europe is looking tame in comparison.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:31 pm

I do think it will make for a richer game, but I doubt the ottomans are going to march on Vienna again. Europeans are prone to squabble among themselves... unless the Ottomans march. All that would do is successful unite Europe against them. I'm sure they'd prefer us that way.

There are plenty of other places they can expand that aren't likely to get much support. Persia and much of North Africa come to mind.

Then, of course, there's always the question of how well they can keep their interests aligned. If they do conquer someplace, only one player is going to get to keep the territory, so what do the others get?

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 pm

True nothing like a few turbaned gentlemen marching towards Vienna to bring the HRE together and the Persian are no pushover either.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 am

Just for clarification and regretably from an Egyptian point of view, the whole of North Africa to the very borders of Morocco is already Ottoman.
    The one nation which intrigues me is France. King Louis is Uncharacteristicly quiet.
    Perhaps the conversation should be less about who the Ottomans are going to attack and more about who may be foolish enough to attack them . We are after all a peaceful people...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Great Unwashed-can you clarify for me, what is the relationship (in general terms) between the various Ottoman players-are they effectively provincial governors of one nation (like China) or are they 'independent'?

I think that in Game 8, lands further east will prove increasingly interesting Wink
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, I was referring to the lands south of the Ottoman lands in Africa, which I still think are far enough north in Africa to be called North Africa.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Apologies Deacon. I misread your comment and thought you were referring to the mediterranean coastal strip. Yes potentially there is room for expansion to the south.
    We Beys are merely governors though when it comes to domestic affairs, we have great autonomy and generally can do what we like. The only restraint I have is that 'it is considered good form to consult The Sultan if wishing to make tax changes' and each year I pay a small tribute. I can live with that.
    We do talk to each other and important decisions, especially foreign affairs, are generally carried out by consensus.
    I guess the golden rule is that if it benefits the empire, it's ok.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation-almost identical to the Chinese situation then. Smile

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 pm

I'll be interested in what the chinese do, since I think in many ways one of the best routes to power in China is to overthrow the emperor. The fluidity of the chinese concept of the "mandate of heaven" gives an opening for anyone strong enough to seize the throne to be considered legitimate.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Deacon

The Chinese positions are structured to avoid/prevent such a thing happening. I used to play a Chinese position in Game 2, for example, and in the position setup it was made clear you were not allowed to attack the other Chinese positions nor rise up against the Emperor.

I don't think it is put so bluntly in the later games but the set up does seem structured to prevent such an event still. If one of the governors tried it then I suspect the other four would rally to the Emperor (or the revolter would risk the other four revolting against him Wink )

The other thing that might prevent a governor rising up is you score honour points primarily by gaining favour from the Emperor (by presenting him with gifts) so then revolting against him might be interesting Wink

Now, of course, someone could try... Twisted Evil
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Hmm, that seems unfortunate to me, since I think that cuts off one of the more interesting paths for a Chinese position. I think it would be hard enough to pull off that if you could achieve it, you deserve the win!

Would the consolidated position really be that unstoppable? I guess Richard has a reason for it.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 pm

I think one person playing all China would be quite powerful...something like 200,000 recruits a year to start with. However I can imagine the practical aspects of ruling it in Glory terms could be quite daunting, the number of towns , etc...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 am

I'm thinking that the strength of the Ottoman & Chinese positions comes because the majority of them are active. It is a problem that when the component parts of an Empire are inactive then it weakens that area in Game turns. If only a couple of states are active then it encourages an expansionist policy.
    A lot of the positions with huge Populations & therefore recruit pools are hindered by poor infrastructure, weak central control & fiscal restraints. It is a major advantage for France initially in the Game that most of these retraints have been to a greater or lesser degree adressed.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:05 pm

J Flower wrote:I'm thinking that the strength of the Ottoman & Chinese positions comes because the majority of them are active. It is a problem that when the component parts of an Empire are inactive then it weakens that area in Game turns. If only a couple of states are active then it encourages an expansionist policy.
    A lot of the positions with huge Populations & therefore recruit pools are hindered by poor infrastructure, weak central control & fiscal restraints. It is a major advantage for France initially in the Game that most of these retraints have been to a greater or lesser degree adressed.

I do agree. I have played in games where I am the only active Chinese player (out of 5) and whilst it does help on a recruiting front (foreign recruiting is banned but me recruiting in the inactive players lands was allowed), it does mean you are always worrying about threats to the Empire when yours is the only province developing and improving...

I don't know how it would work but I have sometimes felt it could help a bit if in such team nations that if some positions are vacant for prolonged periods then the active players could have a 'caretaker' role-there could be strict rules to ensure the inactive positions are maintained as viable positions, such as finances and recruits could not be transferred from an inactive to an active position; the inactive position wouldn't receive separate foreign mail nor could it separately go to war (or even couldn't fight offensively, only defensibly)...but it might prevent a situation where you have one or two positions in a 'team nation' modernising and developing and the rest remaining weak and vulnerable.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:01 pm

I think it is a shame that some positions maybe too small to be viable, when I originally started playing back in hte last century some of the smaller German positions were paired together to make them playable, even though there was no Historical link, maybe the same could be done for some of the positions in Question.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:35 pm

I would think that would tend to distort the historical simulation part of the game too much, so I can see why Richard wouldn't want to do that, even though it makes a certain kind of sense.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 am

It would maybe depend on which nations were bundled together, for example in Germany, it could be that Mecklenberg-Brunswick comes into exsistence, afterall it is only One marriage away from what could have happened, Or baden joined up to Wurrtemberg, not too unhistorical.

Post by Guest Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Interestingly we still have only two non-European nations amongst the top 10 most respected nations, though now 5 of the others are Far Eastern and 3 Ottoman.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm