Hello all

Mustafa II
Freeman
Freeman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-17

Hello all

Post by Mustafa II on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Just joined game 7 & looking forward to the Glory of Kings.

Think I first played around 1990 & it's been a long break. Hopefully I'll remember to avoid the same mistakes this time round.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1430
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Re: Hello all

Post by Deacon on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 am

Knowing the track record of the rest of us, probably not! Very Happy

Who are you playing, if you don't mind saying?

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the game.
Mustafa II
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Mustafa II on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 am

I played the Khanate of Crimea & Sultan of Morocco. You got to play two small states way back then.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Game 7 - Notes for Mustapha (which may help avoid the odd accidental blunder)

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Mustapha,

Joining game in 1705 you are probably wondering what happened 1699 - 1705 and who is now allied with who.

Major way game varied from history after 1700 is the two big events which did not happen or happened in a very small way:

1) The War of the Spanish Succession never happened at all..........the Spanish Factions basically agreed on Charles Habsburg as King of Spain and told the world (in a very nice and diplomatic manner) were it could stick plans for cutting up the Empire. French got a huge pay off, England & Dutch gained nothing, Emperor also gained nothing apart from that fact that son No2 is King of Spain.

Game 7 how has Habsburgs breeding like bloody rabbits.......We now have The Emperor, his son-in-law in Bavaria, his son in Spain, sons viceroys in Africa & flanders, plus Habsburg allies - weddings to be? in Genoa & Portugal. For the new player this means that if your Character wants to marry a nice Catholic girl you either end up related to the Habsburg family or you marry a French Woman. Also if you want to pick a fight with lots of people at the same time pick on a Habsburg.

Picking on Habsburgs does have the bonus of winning you the support of Louis XiV of France - strongest individual power in game and confirmed believer in culling Habsburgs/Protestants/People who dont honour contracts etc,etc. Louis claims to have mellowed with old age and to be misunderstood.

2) The Great Northern War ..........also failed to happen or might have happened a 3.15 to 4.00 on a wet Sunday. Feeble Swedish Governments who could not put on a stag party in a brothel just allow Czar to put his beach towel on various nice bits of Baltic Coastline and carry on turning Russia into the dominant power in the Baltic and East Europe without even a pause.

Lack of anyone for that Czar to talk too, let alone a rival in Poland or Sweden plus some very shy and retireing Ottoman governments means that the best known eastern Europeans are the Hopsdar Prince of Moldavia and the Orthodox Bishops.

At current rate the next Czar is going to end up married to a Ottoman (dont knock it she is cute, blond and Othodox) and the Orthodox bishops may agree a date for Easter around 1750. No one has had heart to tell them they are using different calanders!

3) Finally instead of the War of the Spanish Succession we are having the War of the English Succession with the Jacobites helped by huge amounts of French support and a series of short term English & Dutch Governments. To add to confusion various factions of shall we say English Gentlemen with marine interests (not pirates........do not under any circumstances call them a pirates) seem to have taken up the dirty trade of politics.

If your Character does not understand what is going on in England he will be in a very large majority. For a very long and detailed but very one sided account your character can always ask the French government.

4) Trade wise the French have declared that trade with their colonies is a French Monopoly, so Spain & Portugal declared Free Trade in theirs. Navigation acts may still apply in English colonies but I dont think they are being enforced.

Hope these notes help

Stuart
FR
Mustafa II
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Mustafa II on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:55 pm

They help a great deal & thank you for taking the time Stuart.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 pm

There is an enormous long thread on game 7 in the glory forum that is worth a read.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2012-01-29

The Decon is not kidding

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Mustapha,

The Decon is not kidding when he refers to the very, very, very long tread for game 7 - being new to the forum a couple of weeks ago I proceeded to read the in your position a couple of weeks ago I proceeded to read the active threads and I think I would class :

1) Game 2 as the violent wargame version of Glory du Roi dominated by "Warlords" who never the less get on with each other and are happy to compare notes on tactics and logistics.

2) Game 8 seems to be the civilized version of Glory du Roi dominated by the liberal Arts (note to self must get Character in this game.....or would I lower the tone?)

3) Game 7 the Soap Opera version of Glory du Roi dominated by feuding families falling out with the neigbours, seething passions over broken promises and general bad feeling all round. People who dont even play in the game seem to tune in every week to see if who JR I mean Big Bad Louis has upset now! In fact you can even find a seperate thread where Mr Ed was so destressed at being thought of as Louis of France that the "Real Louis" had to stand up and take the flak for him.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:People who don't even play in the game seem to tune in every week to see if who JR I mean Big Bad Louis has upset now! In fact you can even find a separate thread where Mr Ed was so distressed at being thought of as Louis of France that the "Real Louis" had to stand up and take the flak for him.
Nice one Stuart! I'd never thought of myself as JR, but I'm sure there are plenty of players out there who want to shoot me lol!

Welcome to the game Mustaffa, do feel free to write to France next turn. Hopefully the back issues of the newspapers will be on the Wiki soon to help you judge events for yourself.
Mustafa II
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Mustafa II on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Still not plucked up the courage to read the enormous thread ... will wait until I have a quiet evening.

& France should be receiving a letter from me this month.

Looking forward to getting my 1st turn back now.
Mustafa II
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Mustafa II on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Received 1st turn today & not have not lost my nack.

My great plans have led to a reduction in honour & economic health.

Venice would be better without me!
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear it. Care to share what you did as an object lesson to the rest of us?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 am