Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

What has happened to Flashy ??????????

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1187
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: What has happened to Flashy ??????????

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 pm

revvaughan wrote:Thanks for clarification... Take advantage of the simplicity and enjoy the stories that develop.

Yes If you join Scabble you too can develop and crash both Airships & stories about how your lead character overcame his problems with the demon drink, drugs, the French, The Reds, The Russians, The British and various Mistresses and Nuns and is now on his way to being the greatest Tuba Player in the World.

Or you could try something a little easier like the infilration and take over of the Chin Empire while avoiding the tax demands and other attacks from Lord Derby and his Tory allies in the HEIC. Small men who just do not understand your greatness or how Opium liberates the mind.
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:32 pm

I tried Scramble during mid-2017, but it wasn't really for me and dropped it to focus on the C18th games.

I just find TGOK and Swashbuckler more to my taste, and can't really explain why I didn't get on with Scramble.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1494
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 pm

I tried the French for a bit. Game was kinda opaque to me, and the position wasn't in good shape, so I dropped too.

I like the humor of it all, though.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

I must admit I had the same feeling as Deacon when I had a go at playing Nippon. The position did have a lot of potential and, frankly, it's an exremely fun game, but the position was so far behind in terms of technology it was impossible to consider any reasonable catchup, esp when it took me two game-years to develop a slightly improved rifle, a rather basic breech-loader at a time when the more established nations were developing Gatling Guns and airships. my artillery was basic "Napoleonic" muzzle-loaders and my navy the most basic ships with no improvements (as the Russians and Royal Navy seemed to be trying to invent the Dreadnought)...oh and my army was in terrible morale and health to start with...I don't like to criticise the way the games are run but if a position has been vacant for a long time then I do feel (esp in a game like Scramble where military weapons development is restricted ) it would be fairer for the position to be moved on rather than be in the same place the last player left it several years ago.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06 pm

From what has been said above about scrabble two points need to be highlighted:

1) Unlike Glory du Roi and the prior Agema game set in Victorian period China which try to stick fairly close to its historic period..........scrabble was designed round the "Victorian Period" of Jules Verne, Sherlock Holmes & the Flashman books rather than the strict history of the period.

Its a bit like the old Agema game based on the War of the Roses being replaced by one based on Game of Thrones.

So if you like your games to be as "Historic" as possible Scrabble is probably not for you. Esp as some players in the current game of Scrabble seem to have gone all out Steam Punk and would seem to have been hitting the accounts in the "Penny dreadfulls" and some of their own Opium products rather strongly.

Though it should also be said that players are perfectly happy sticking to the original more respectable brief and its done them no harm in the game. Lord Derby & the Czar of Russia for instance have yet to launch a single flying machine & hardly ever do anything more outlandish than going to a Cricket Match or the Ballet. So you can play a basic game of colonial expansion and just dismiss all of the odd going on as stuff made up to sale papers to the feeble minded.

This is certainly how Lord Derby plays the game. My own Lord Hardinge of the HEIC is less dismissive of the Thuggee and their ilk but belives English Gentlemen like Flashman armoured with true faith in the C of E, cricket and the Queen and equiped with Machine Guns and Artillery can always overcome Vodoo Priest's, Golum's & flying machines.

2) Ref the wide option of weapons, ships and ways of getting ships to move. Do not be too put off if you seem to be behind other's in this area:

a) Weapons & blue prints can be purchased or traded for...........The Armstrong Sidney Subsidary of the HEIC spent millions of pounds setting up in Nippon & is still awaiting its first awaiting its first order from the Govt of Nippon. Seems the current Army Ministry prefers solid round shot which can be re-used rather than expensive shells. While the Govt of Korea turned down French Rifles and expensive bullets to stay loyal to the cheap, durable and re-usable Spear.

b) Or if your name is Otto you can steal blue prints & plans from honest merchants and the like.

3) Or if its too much trouble to worry about Weapons and taking control of colonies my Military means you can always run a trade company or a Church and set yourself other objectives and do things differently.

- Under these rules you need a Character to do anything so a knifed General or Admiral will stop a Army or Navy even more effectively than another Military force.

- Likewise you can take over territory as effectively with a diplomat as you can with a Army/Navy.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I think the mistake I made was trying to play Nippon too historically and like I was in a Glory game (and btw Stuart, I did order weapons from Armstrong, they arrived and some were issued to the Imperial Army before losing half a job meant I had to drop out). The more steampunk nature of Scramble is fun (I have always had a weakspot for steampunk but then I am a goth in disguise Wink ).

I also think Scramble is well suited to playing an individual (Swashbuckler-style). I might go as far as to say the looser format might make it easier to play an individual than in Glory. I mean, imagine playing Moriarty in Scramble (after the fashion of his portrayal in the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films)...or Allan Quartermain? or if you decided to defy the canon of the character, have Richard Hannay born a few years earlier and play out his career in South Africa?

Last edited by Jason on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needing rewording to make proper sense)
Basileus
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Scabble gives potential players a wide range of opportunities. A non historical Nippon could see Ninja assassins causing havoc around the world, the development of Kamikazi zeppelins, geisha spies, samurai warrior monks off on missions of spiritual enlightenment.

Perhaps Bizzie should head east when he extricates himself from North Africa?

Sadly, I think that would be how I would play Nippon. Probably the reason why I have had limited success in playing Glory of Kings on and off for a number of years!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am

Basileus wrote:Scabble gives potential players a wide range of opportunities. A non historical Nippon could see Ninja assassins causing havoc around the world, the development of Kamikazi zeppelins, geisha spies, samurai warrior monks off on missions of spiritual enlightenment.

Sadly, I think that would be how I would play Nippon. Probably the reason why I have had limited success in playing Glory of Kings on and off for a number of years!

Would like to point out that scabble already has:

Assassins - Ninga, Nun Snipers, Indian rope killers etc, etc causing havoc! The HEIC is currently so worried about someone is going to try to knock off Lord Derby in Indea that he is currently being guarded by three different layers of security and Flashman!

Airships - would anyone notice the difference between between normal and Kamikazi Zeppelins? They both crash and burn.

Geisha spies or at least female spies - Think the last US President married one......hell my character almost married one as well! Would have lead to a whole new meaning for "Keepin things hidden from the Wife"

Bit short of warrior monks off on missions of spiritual enlightenment. But the Russians seem to be into Hymn Singing and are on a "Mission from the Czar" while the HEIC is on a mission to seek enlightenment throught cricket "The Way of the Lee Enfield and Wrist Spin."
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
Basileus wrote:Scabble gives potential players a wide range of opportunities. A non historical Nippon could see Ninja assassins causing havoc around the world, the development of Kamikazi zeppelins, geisha spies, samurai warrior monks off on missions of spiritual enlightenment.

Would like to point out that scabble already has:

Assassins - Ninga, Nun Snipers, Indian rope killers etc, etc causing havoc! The HEIC is currently so worried about someone is going to try to knock off Lord Derby in Indea that he is currently being guarded by three different layers of security and Flashman!

Airships - would anyone notice the difference between between normal and Kamikazi Zeppelins? They both crash and burn.

Geisha spies or at least female spies - Think the last US President married one......hell my character almost married one as well! Would have lead to a whole new meaning for "Keepin things hidden from the Wife"

Bit short of warrior monks off on missions of spiritual enlightenment. But the Russians seem to be into Hymn Singing and are on a "Mission from the Czar" while the HEIC is on a mission to seek enlightenment throught cricket "The Way of the Lee Enfield and Wrist Spin."

Ahhh, but Kamikaze Zeppelins crashing into, say, Russian warships would be a bit more impressive than French and Austrian airships crashing into the side of mountains, airfields, farms... Wink

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Jason wrote:

Ahhh, but Kamikaze Zeppelins crashing into, say, Russian warships would be a bit more impressive than French and Austrian airships crashing into the side of mountains, airfields, farms... Wink

You can not go around crashing Kamikaze Zeppelins into Russian warships.......you might damage their paintwork! & upset Russian players everywhere.

Its only taken 11 games of Glori and one of LAK and 150 years but it is starting to seem that in Scabble the Russians have actually built a Navy which seems to have a reasonable chance of knowing were it is going. It has also shown itself the superior force in fights with the French and Germans and managed a shore bomdardment which failed to hit its own side.

However, before players start saying they can not believe in a game in which the Russian Navy knows what it is doing some traditions are being kept up:

- The Russian Navy may come from the coasts of the Baltic and the Black Sea (in Glori terms they are Swedes & Ottomans) but the Army still seems to spend months getting over from sea sickness.

- The German Navy has fully lived up to the glorious traditions of the Prussian Yacht Squad. And is a force which is fully the equal of the French & Austrian Air Corps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 am