Steam Engines

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Steam Engines

Post by Jason on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

How much luck have people had in developing and improving steam engines and what uses have you put them to?

I did have a go in G3 and managed to get an vastly improved design working in mines
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Re: Steam Engines

Post by Deacon on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Never really attempted it.

The whole better water set up described in Carte Blanche seemed pretty cool, but I've not yet had a position where it was something worth attempting.

Good to know there are advanced engines available for mines, I don't think I recall reading about them in any of the supplements.

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 am

I think as long as you are willing to invest, time & resources into most Tech advances then there is a chance of an improvement. I am currently on the 4th Improvement of the water wheel, with it boosting production a little with each improvement.

Steam Engines may be a little more specilised with a requirement for the right Personality in the right kind of Academy. I take it for Historical game reasons that only Static Engines are going to be able to be developed though.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 pm

What I have done is ordered an academy to research improved steam engines and got new versions being developed as a result but I don't think they are mentioned specifically in any supplement. I haven't needed Newcomen to do the work though.

I suspect in the short term waterwheels are a better investment but if you're in it for the long term I think steam engines will pay offer...plus they are cooler...ok, I have this dream of a Steam Punk Glory Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 pm