Thomas Blakeney

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Thomas Blakeney

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Just got my set-up turn. I'm in Bristol,a French-speaking Catholic English gentleman. What do you mean "asking for trouble"..?

Re: Thomas Blakeney

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Seems like you have the best of all starts in life!
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 am

Forgot to make clear that I'm in Game 7...

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 am

You do want an interesting game, then!

I wonder how long it will be before you get elected as an MP? You will certainly be able to test the Swashbuckler rules out to breaking point with so many possible actions Exclamation

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:54 pm

If Thomas Blakeney is going to become one of the MP's for Bristol I would recommend a book called "A Darker History of Bristol" by Derek Robinson.

All you need to know about Black & White Slavery, Quaker Bashing and Riots Very Happy
MarkTurner26
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm

I am in game 7 too!!! Istvan Nemeth!!
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Istvan Nemeth? Guess you're nowhere near Bristol then... And I think young Tom is a bit short in the influence and cash departments to become an MP ( he has seriously fallen out with his, Protestant, family). Slaving though...

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 pm

The traditional route for impoverished Catholic gentlemen was to seek an audience with King Louis. Might have a bit of a problem at the moment with him being stuck in Chalons, but if you arrive at Versailles I imagine someone should be able to help you. A new set of clothes in the latest French fashions, an honest demeanour and who knows what could happen? Must be better than meddling in the rather distasteful world of slavery. Perhaps you need a letter of introduction from a courtier?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 pm

A berth in the French Foreign Legion or a berth on a Slave Ship pale

Not sure which is liable to be worse massed Hapsburg artillery or yellow fever and pirates?

Socially I think being a Slaver is a lot more Acceptable.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:55 pm

If war wasnt breaking out between Spain and England, I would have thought that King Charles of Spain would be a good patron. The civil war might still be on in England/British Isles, and that would offer lots of opportunity. A seat in Parliament might be possible,there might be a need for mercenaries, a french speaking, catholic English gentleman could make a good trader. Good luck with whatever path you choose.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for all the career-suggestions and supportive thoughts. Small steps at first though, just got my first real turn back and Richard seems to have a sort of standard reflex - with the new "hero' being offered hand-to-hand combat at 3-to-1 odds... In my case some Protestant loyalist thugs who overheard Tom being turned down at his first "job interview" (with the Catholic loyalist 1st Army). Oh ho...
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:22 pm

OK - so Tom survived his 3-to-1 encounter (resulting in one dead thug and one arrested - unfortunately Tom also seems to be under some sort of informal arrest by his "own" side as a result He'll be protesting, of course!) Also, someone's been fiddling with his purse...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 pm

jimbotten wrote:OK - so Tom survived his 3-to-1 encounter (resulting in one dead thug and one arrested - unfortunately Tom also seems to be under some sort of informal arrest by his "own" side as a result He'll be protesting, of course!) Also, someone's been fiddling with his purse...

Ok.....so the French are packing up and going home.....you are in Blackbeards home port......One English Army has declared for King William, another for King James and young Tom is somewhere in the Middle faced with a Murder Charge.

But look on the bright side.....it was very rare for Bristol Courts to hang anyone. They normally went for the cash option and transportation to the colonies.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Ah, it's good to be re-assured. Just when I was starting to worry...
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

that is of course if you have the cash.....

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Hmm, well the "re-assured" was meant to be ironic. Will take another turn to look inside my purse to find out what's been going on. Even if nothing's missing I doubt I have sufficient to satisfy a judge (or jury) But then, of course, I have my gentlemanly charm...
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Ah well, the tides of war have turned me loose and swept me down to Southampton, just in time to admire all the smouldering hulks in the harbour. But still with no real plan as to what to make of myself.. footloose and fancy-free.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

jimbotten wrote:Ah well, the tides of war have turned me loose and swept me down to Southampton, just in time to admire all the smouldering hulks in the harbour. But still with no real plan as to what to make of myself.. footloose and fancy-free.

I believe that prior to recent legal problems you were either looking at a military career or since you were in the infamous town of Bristol (original home port of Blackbeard and many of the HWIC) you were off to Sea to seek a fortune in the Slave Trade.

Not sure that Southampton is much of a slave port (or much of a port at all after the Dutch attack) but it looks a good spot for joining either the Jacobite Army to fight the Williamites or you could always join one of the French Fleets. Of course if the French Admirals are upset enough about the attempt to turn them into that famous Dutch Delight.....Hampshire Fried Frog you could end up on blockade duty in winter.....in the North Sea!

On the other hand the French Med Fleet is probably campaigning to go home and stop the Spanish from plundering any more of their bases. You could actually get paid to go to the South of France......Sun, Sea, Fine Wine, Friendly Catholic locals and only a very small chance of killed by a Hapsburg Cannon ball. But it probably does not pay as a run down to West Africa.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 am

For some reason Thomas is reluctant to join an Army - probably an aversion to discipline rather than to cold steel (he has already killed his man). But a Navy (even a French one)... hmmm.

Happy Christmas to everyone in 1706 by the way!
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Ah well, my dilemma's of choice seem to have been forcibly resolved, as I appear to have been press-ganged by the French Navy. Let us hope that Thomas can at least sweet-talk himself into a less than menial position...
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 pm

seems a bit harsh.
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm

jimbotten wrote:Ah well, my dilemma's of choice seem to have been forcibly resolved, as I appear to have been press-ganged by the French Navy. Let us hope that Thomas can at least sweet-talk himself into a less than menial position...

not cabin boy material then...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 pm

jimbotten wrote:Ah well, my dilemma's of choice seem to have been forcibly resolved, as I appear to have been press-ganged by the French Navy. Let us hope that Thomas can at least sweet-talk himself into a less than menial position...

What is the best position to lead a mutiney from? pirat
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 pm

January 1707 - am now aboard a French ship, with my "pressed" status somewhat uncertain. I've managed to upset both sailors and marines with my superior card and dice-play (and due to the latter welching on their debts am not a lot better off financially), but have hopes of talking my way up the hierarchy so that I can have a pretty French naval uniform and practise my French obscenities (as in shouted orders, not as in perverse practises!)
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

watch out for the Austrian navy, three galleys of trouble in the Mediteranean Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 pm