Thomas Blakeney

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Re: Thomas Blakeney

Post by J Flower on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Who says the art of conversation is dead, thats a lot of talking you must be doing there
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Um, actually not a lot... but determined to move forward. (I just need this chap I've met to actually tell me about the town I'm approaching, rather than an inviting offer several hundred miles away - on foot.)
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 am

With a sinking heart Tom finds himself yet again invited to follow an unprepossessing fellow into a dark and lonely place...
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm

wot dogging again is Tom?

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:44 am

I think "skinning" was mentioned... I'm hoping that's not some strange 18th C euphemism.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 pm

I think Richard was kind to me this turn (I think!) Tom's gambling-habit keeps kicking in at inappropriate moments, but it's hard to play the habit straight without any money or any personal possessions worth wagering. Anyhow, this time the only penalty seems to have been a temporary nausea (resulting from an ill-advised [hence "gambling"] venture into an abattoir. Following on from which, fresh air and a chance (at last) to take to the water (Tom's natural habitat). Seems we're off to Montreal!
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 pm

woohoo and I am off to Europe things looking up cheers

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:00 am

jimbotten wrote:I think Richard was kind to me this turn (I think!) Tom's gambling-habit keeps kicking in at inappropriate moments, but it's hard to play the habit straight without any money or any personal possessions worth wagering. Anyhow, this time the only penalty seems to have been a temporary nausea (resulting from an ill-advised [hence "gambling"] venture into an abattoir. Following on from which, fresh air and a chance (at last) to take to the water (Tom's natural habitat). Seems we're off to Montreal!

I am told Montreal is very nice..............and after the murder of King William its probably a good time to be a long way from a lot of very upset Orange Order types in New England.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

There is that, of course... (pity Tom also has some personal "issues" with the French authorities... Did I say I thought Richard had been kind?)

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

jimbotten wrote:There is that, of course... (pity Tom also has some personal "issues" with the French authorities... Did I say I thought Richard had been kind?)

Apart from the small matter of desertion from the French Navy what other "issues" do you have with the French?
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:37 pm

There French what else is there?

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
jimbotten wrote:There is that, of course... (pity Tom also has some personal "issues" with the French authorities... Did I say I thought Richard had been kind?)

Apart from the small matter of desertion from the French Navy what other "issues" do you have with the French?

Ah, if it were only that... There is a particular French Admiral who has promised to have poor Tom's head cut off if he failed him in a certain mission, which Tom spectacularly has (being in quite the wrong continent, and through no fault of his own - "honest guv").

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Ah, if it were only that... There is a particular French Admiral who has promised to have poor Tom's head cut off if he failed him in a certain mission, which Tom spectacularly has (being in quite the wrong continent, and through no fault of his own - "honest guv").[/quote]

If you wish to stay out of the hands of the French Navy are you sure New France is a good place to go? Or is it a cunning bluff by Tom who thinks the French will never look for him in their own backyard.

For a good catholic sailor who wants to stay away from French neck tie parties, flogging round the fleet and kell hauling I still think Tom would have done better to head south.

He could have joined the Spanish hunt for El Dorado - hundreds of miles up one of the great rivers - no French Navy to worry about only ........Yellow Fever, Indian Head Hunters, Giant Snakes & Fish Suppers (sorry that is being had for supper by the local fish).
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:25 am

If only Tom had so much control over his direction of movement! The penniless have to go wherever free-loading can take them (in the current instance, working my passage on a raft). One day he may have a coin in his purse... and then!
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:37 pm

June 1710 - no (obvious) disasters (or challenges!) for once... but deep confusion. According to a letter received I ought to be rich (though funds sometimes takes time to wend their way through he system, I hope!). Or it may be that the cash has already arrived and is in the "keeping" of one of my two travelling companions. Whatever, something that took cash to arrange on our part has been arranged - but I don't know which of my two tight-lipped fellow-travellers was responsible (if either!) Anyway it looks like Montreal next stop, and try to figure out a little of what's happened on the way. "Life" is always interesting, at least.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Another turn with no major challenges facing Tom (not obviously, anyway), but some decisions to be made. Still nothing in his pockets, but at least he's in Montreal now - with potential access back to England?? If he can avoid catching gold-fever, of which there seems to be a local out-break.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 am

One step forward, one step back (usual pace of progress for young Tom). Got as far as Montreal, but now I have to go back to Albany to collect my wages for helping work the raft downriver. And I need that money! Still nothing in my pocket (despite various promises, made in all good faith no doubt, but sabotaged by Agemic control of the seas). Still perplexed by my tight-lipped "companions" and now also puzzled by what's best to do now that Tom's "secret mission" (to assassinate the incognito John Churchill) has been overtaken and made redundant by events. (Don't ask why Tom is in America on such a mission...)
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 am

Having so long been baffled and blocked by an absolute lack of funds young (though he may have a few white hairs by now) Tom is now almost equally baffled by a considerable access of wealth. Will take a little thinking to come up with a judicious use thereof. Meanwhile - is it possible for a character without reading-and-writing to be taught literacy in game, do we think? Can't find anything in the rules to indicate yea or nay...
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:16 pm

yes but it takes time and you may not be able to do anything else or it will reduce the effectiveness of it.

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Hmmm, sounds just like Richard...
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Frustration and mystification continue in good measure. Tom (though still jacket-less) has the literal "embarrassment of riches". It's truly nerve-wracking carrying around 7,000 odd guineas in coin (probably muscle-wracking too), and then there's the matter of a letter received but which Tom is not allowed to open until next turn???? Which hesitation-point has also got in the way of his plans to spend on clothing and equipment as swiftly as possible. Fingers will be crossed for yet another month now (still, I guess that is what makes the game!)
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:14 pm

hide away for a month ....

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:57 pm

Kingmaker wrote:hide away for a month ....

With all the letters of marque floating round in G7 now may be the time to move up in the world......from coatless deck hand to gentleman privateer captain!

Anyone got any favourite ships for privateering & why?
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:hide away for a month ....

Anyone got any favourite ships for privateering & why?

A question I would be interested in answers to! Maybe we need to float this under a more general topic away from this (little-read?) thread? (Which I will do.)
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Um... what would the panel do if approached purposively in pouring rain by an unusually wide stranger of indeterminate sex carrying a large fish-hook... (and here's Tom just wanting to get out of Albany, down to the coast and away to England). Oh and Tom still doesn't have a jacket, a sword or any useful weapon (apart from knuckle-dusters and a cosh - don't ask...)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am