Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
Basileus
MarkTurner26
Stuart Bailey
The Revenant
8 posters

Thomas Blakeney

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Thomas Blakeney - Page 5 Empty Re: Thomas Blakeney

Post by The Revenant Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

From mentions in the papers I think Alan Standing is in game an American Merchant/Explorer who has dealings with Indians (The Fur Trade?).

"Dealings with the Indians" sounds like a safe option for poor Tom (hollow laughter in background). At least they're not bothered if your Protestant or Catholic, or royalist or rebel...

Thanks for the closer reading/memory of the newspapers than I'd managed. (Why keep a brain if you can ask someone else?)
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm

jimbotten wrote:

"Dealings with the Indians" sounds like a safe option for poor Tom (hollow laughter in background).  At least they're not bothered if your Protestant or Catholic, or royalist or rebel...

a scalp is a scalp is a scalp......  Wink
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 am

OOps! It's so long since Tom sent a letter that I'd forgotten it cost a guinea to write and a guinea to send (assuming you can't do either of these for yourself). Only having had 1 guinea to his name, poor Tom is now in possession of a beautifully-written letter, but zero cash and no way to send said missal until he's earned some...

Frustrating, because this letter was by way of being a particularly important reply, and one would not want to be thought disrespectful...

In for the long haul.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 am

you've got to pick a pocket or two, you've got to pick a pocket or two....... Suspect
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Too much of a gentleman to go in for outright thievery (besides which, vs Richard, that would be also a dangerous option). Having said which, the orders I'm considering for next turn leave me wide open to Richard-style mischief. But that's where the fun is. I guess??
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:13 pm

correct.... clown
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2564
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 pm

jimbotten wrote:Too much of a gentleman to go in for outright thievery (besides which, vs Richard, that would be also a dangerous option).  Having said which, the orders I'm considering for next turn leave me wide open to Richard-style mischief.  But that's where the fun is.  I guess??

If Tom is too much of a gentleman to pick a pocket I guess in G7 America's this leaves:

- Piracy with Blackbeard.........according to current stories this is perfectly safe and the Spanish anti Pirate Patrols are not at all interested in the £60K reward.

- Sign on as a slaver or fur trader with the HWIC

- Act as a guide for Jesuit missions trying to convert the Indians

- Join the Russian, Spanish, Dutch, French or Williamite Military as a Merc.

What could possibly go wrong?.............apart from Ship-wreck, yellow fever or getting captured by hostile Indians?

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 am

hiring yourself out as a bully boy Smile
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 am

The post of head Vodka taster to the Indian nation is also open send a CV to the govt. in Yorktown. You'll get a new coat with matching hat, scarf & gloves, & a very fast horse.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:47 pm

All tempting offers/suggestions! Tom is pursuing what could be any of them via hoping to get some employment (of any kind, so long as it's paid) from this Alan Standing npc. (Isn't selling alcohol to the Native Americans illegal yet?)
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:42 pm

jimbotten wrote:All tempting offers/suggestions!  Tom is pursuing what could be any of them via hoping to get some employment (of any kind, so long as it's paid) from this Alan Standing npc.  (Isn't selling alcohol to the Native Americans illegal yet?)

With the American Colonies sold to the Czar also known as "The Chief Vodka Taster of all the Russia's" I dont think Puritan policies such as not selling alcohol to the Natives is going to make much legal progress.

But I guess flogging a load of guns & alcohol to the Indians may break a few colonial bye-laws.

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Ah, the opportunity of honest trade... if only. So, Tom has finally made the pages of the Newsletter by name, in more frustrating circumstances. Is any one else's character suffering quite so much? Don't think I've had any character-generated turns of good fortune since setting out. Only helping hands from other player-characters, all of which have gone adrift. Or maybe it's just me? Either being too clever, or not clever enough. Ah well, back to the grindstone of inspiration to see what can be made of a pig's ear..
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:10 am

jimbotten wrote:Ah, the opportunity of honest trade... if only.  So, Tom has finally made the pages of the Newsletter by name, in more frustrating circumstances.  Is any one else's character suffering quite so much?  Don't think I've had any character-generated turns of good fortune since setting out.  Only helping hands from other player-characters, all of which have gone adrift.  Or maybe it's just me?  Either being too clever, or not clever enough.  Ah well, back to the grindstone of inspiration to see what can be made of a pig's ear..

When playing Gloire du Roi I have always attempted to have one unit or two units suitable for "Swashbuckler" characters to join.

But for some reason no one ever wanted to join the Belgrade Horse in G2.............still dont understand why no one wanted to join since you only needed to take five heads to get into the unit.

If Tom or another swashbuckler needs a career option in G7 they may wish to consider one of the Spanish Palace Guard Companies inc the Viceroys Guards in Mexico City etc. Basically as well as standing round the Palace Gates these men have a wider responsibilty to protect the King/Queens/Cardinals/Viceroys reputation and interests inc the arrest etc of his foes etc.

Nice coats, pay, what could go wrong?
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 am

Would the recruiters be willing to come and break Tom out of gaol in New York?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:38 am

stu are you still in G2?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:58 pm

jimbotten wrote:Would the recruiters be willing to come and break Tom out of gaol in New York?

The Vice-regal Guard Company in Mexico City & the Texas Rangers do not sent recruiting parties to American Goals!!!

These units accept volunteers from a) the Spanish-American Noble & Gentry classes b) men who have shown extreme valour or c) preformed a service the Viceroy wants to reward.

Basically:

a) Is Tom of Spanish-American Noble Blood or married to one?

b) Has he single handed saved a Spanish Lady from Bandits or Pirates?

c) Rode 160 miles across a burning desert dodging arrows to bring advance warning of a Apache Raid?

d) Does he know the location of Blackbeards latest base?

Basically what we want more proper Swashbuckling like the Three Musketeers in the America's and less Captain Blood meets Titus Oats.

Still I have no doubt the Czars Navy in the America's have lower standards. Just show a willingness to drink Vodka rather than Rum and Tom is half way to his Admirals Flag!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Kingmaker wrote:stu are you still in G2?

Finally retired Iskander Kruppa Leyerbey of Rumelia later Sultan of the Ottomans when he ran out of people he wanted to kill.

In his military campaign's he fought - Austrians, French, Spanish, Portugese, Irish, English, Persians, Poles, Russians, Germans from L-C and Bavaria, Italians from Venice, Genoa, Florence & the Papal States as well as the Janissary & other rebel dogs in Moldavia, Syria, Egypt, & Anatolia.

For the spread of different types of opponents and number of wars/campaigns if not the geographic spread of his campaigns I think this medium ranked Ottoman Civil Servent may hold the record for a Glori du Roi character.

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:40 am

Hmm, another month another problem... (not one to be gone into in public, as yet). But I have noticed a small reference in the Newsletter which almost reads as though the intended recipient of my un-posted letter is aware of at least some of its contents. More damned spies? (Or is Richard stealing my thunder?)
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Okay... so we never quite made it to gaol, and are now on the run, still coatless but at least with a pistol and a couple of guineas. So may (Richard willing) be able to finally post that damned letter (now in reply to two received). There are more complications than that (of course), but shouldn't say too much of that as yet...
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am

Another month, another curve-ball... First I'm caught out by not recognising someone I met in passing over a year (real-time) ago, and now I'm stuck between two characters wanting to go in opposite directions, with me not wanting to go in either of them (but sort of honour-bound to accompany both!) Ho hum... back to the type-face...
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat May 23, 2015 2:41 pm

A month on, and at least I and my two contrary companions have made it safely out of New York. Apparently headed for Albany (having "gambled" (my weakness) on following the first bird to fly overhead headed inland). Currently faced with a couple of grumpy Indians who I believe I can decipher and pacify so long as my noisy English companion can be kept quiet. Have also received a very long and interesting reply which is making me regret a request put in my previous (and last, until i can get some more funds) letter sent. Still all at sea about the political situation in the assorted settlements of New England (but then, who isn't?). But for now my first priority is these red men..
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:40 am

Christmas passed quietly, sharing a fish-dinner with the local Indians - and sometimes it's really quite pleasant when nothing disastrous happens...
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:41 am

no Richard was stealing all my money thats why.....  lol!
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:20 pm

That may only be because Tom has no money (or much of anything else, come to that) to steal... But it's nice to know that what goes around comes around, and maybe Tom's turn is due for some of that promotion, wealth and fame ?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

hope so...  Thomas Blakeney - Page 5 1766351431

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content