Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

unhistoric units

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

unhistoric units Empty unhistoric units

Post by J Flower Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:48 am

Just a thought, I expect most of us have raised Engineer Batalions, Light Infantry with Rifles in swarms. Do such units fit into the period? If then maybe only for certain Nations.

Engineers for example were usually represented by Officers alone, who would plan the work to be done then the Labour force would be drummed up from the army, Yes there were Sappeurs & miners for the seige work but they were relativly small in number.

Light troops were generally not trusted, were cosidered to be lacking in disipline likley to desert at the first chance.

I would be interested to here your thoughts on these troops. Plus are there any other exotic troops you have raised, personally I have developed a rocket armed frigate, similar to the one envisaged by Congreve during the Napoleonic period. No good for the battle line but great for shore bombardment.

unhistoric units Empty Re: unhistoric units

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

An interesting question!

I tend not to raise large numbers of engineers, often just because in the nations I tend to play I don't have the recruits for large numbers anyway. Same applied to light units, unless its a nation that did have them in large numbers.

Upon exotic units. I do tend to go in for these-kite units, hand-held repeating crossbows, paddle wheel ships and other exotic units in China. Strangely, I haven't been so creative when playing European nations, I did create rocket batteries when Denmark but that's about it. I keep thinking I ought to be more creative but...

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am