The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-08-03

The Quality of Mercy...

Post by The Real Louis on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi all

Another 0ne-off question: what's the "best" use for lawyers? (I seem to have inherited a lot of them and they're just hanging about.) That can be "best" socially or financially - but mainly financially!
Ardagor
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Re: The Quality of Mercy...

Post by Ardagor on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 pm

The only thing I have ever used lawyers for is to Improve the legal system. Not that I have noticed any difference, but it feels better somehow when you know the legal system is slowly improving.

The following is from the supplement Book of revelations page 25

"Lawyers trained at an academy can be used to act as the judiciary and magistrates of the country. The more you have, the better the legal system will end up being.

*No trained Judiciary - No trained lawyers - fairly random legal system with little consistency in practice.

*Poor judiciary - 1 magistrate per 100,000 population - system is patchy, but cases of treason and the like will be dealt with reasonable well.

*Reasonable judiciary - 1 magistrate per 10,000 population - a decent legal system, but less serious crimes often escape justice due to the need to prioritise.

*Good judiciary - 1 magistrate per 1,000 population - very effective, petty criminals less likely to escape justice after caught. laws more likely to be enforced."
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Hmm, not a lot to be said on this topic, it seems. But since I have the lawyers I'd better use them. Can't help thinking that the investment could have been better used elsewhere, though. What's wrong with good old-fashioned cronyism and bribery?
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Must admit, only used them so far to create and improve my legal system. I am only guessing, but I assume they are part of a wider system-you need Town Watches in towns to capture the criminal classes there, dragoon patrols on roads to capture highwaymen and a legal system to send all those never-do-wells down.

Like Ardagor, I do feel better having them, makes me feel I'm caring for 'my people' (same reason I put a lot of recruits into creating medical systems).
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Yes, sometimes I wish the benefits of the various things you can do were a little less opaque, though I understand why Richard makes it so.

Does make you wonder sometimes though if you're just flushing recruits down the drain! Very Happy
one grain of grain
Baron
Baron

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:22 am

Hi All.
With regards to trained lawyers I am new to this game and have taken the position of Rumelia in game 8 after 2 years progress and I also started with 1000 trained lawyers after reading the forums and books on the subject I decided to ask my advisers also as to what would be the best use of these lawyers. I asked my Treasury and Interior & Justice Ministers what would be the best use for them and also which use would best help the state financially.
The reply from both ministers was to improve the justice system as stated in a post above, However the justice minister did add "That if the Judiciary could eventually be brought to a good level of cover that there would be genuine real economic benefits to Rumelia".

Hope that helps.

One Grain.
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Post by The Real Louis on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:45 pm

"...genuine, real, economic benefits..." ...we likes the sound of that!

Richard D. Watts
Baron
Baron

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Richard D. Watts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 am

Rest assured, improving the legal and medical services does have genuine benefits in the game, but they are largely 'under the hood' and genuinely opaque on purpose so that AGEMA can smugly sit back and say, 'Ah, well the benefits are the same as in real life!'

To give a hint, and an example, one of the benefits of having a decent number of physicians in your home country is that the outbreak of plague is much reduced (not eliminated, but reduced!).
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks Richard Smile I must admit, it's aspects like these that make the game more enjoyable for me; it's not all about raising armies and navies but developing a nation Smile
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Richard D. Watts wrote:Rest assured, improving the legal and medical services does have genuine benefits in the game, but they are largely 'under the hood' and genuinely opaque on purpose so that AGEMA can smugly sit back and say, 'Ah, well the benefits are the same as in real life!'

To give a hint, and an example, one of the benefits of having a decent number of physicians in your home country is that the outbreak of plague is much reduced (not eliminated, but reduced!).

I do wonder about this because I've never heard of a plague hitting in-game. Is this all under the hood? IE it changes your birth/death rate kind of thing? or have other players who have been around longer remember actual plagues hitting?

Richard D. Watts
Baron
Baron

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Richard D. Watts on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 am

Plagues certainly have and still do hit in the game, although usually they are localised affairs caused during a siege! If, to take such an example, you have decent medical care in your home country and a siege takes place in your home country then the risk of such disease breaking out amongst the defenders is much diminished (but can still happen).
Regor
Earl
Earl

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Deacon, Jason and Co - don't be bringing the bloody plague down onus its hard enough without that as a deus ex machina when Agema do that soooooo well already. Rolling Eyes

Actually Richard, this reassurance is of value and the FoW engendered makes the playing both more interesting and errr more frustrating.

Cheers!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm

For your information the plague seems to have broken out in the French Army in G7.

The worst plague I have known in terms of influence on the game was Milan in G2. A allied army was mustering in the city to liberate Venice from the Turk when the then Pasha of Rumelia hit first torching most of the Dutchy of Milan and filling the city with tens of thousands of smelly and panicing refugees at the height of summer.

Not sure how many were lost in total but the "named" victims of the resulting plague read like a who's who of top western military talent inc Berwick, Prince Eugene of Savoy and many others of general rank.

I think famines are worse in terms of total dead but at least they dont wreck your Army command structure.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

The French army risks carrying the plague to Paris as that is where they are retreating to, therefore I think the problems of France may get worse.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm

I imagine that a nation-wide plague would be limited to the EH-1 disaster scenario. There is plenty of historical rationale for random horrible things happening to whole countries but I think it would diminish the game if something that random had that large an impact upon the game.

It might be historical to just randomly hit people with nationwide plagues, but I think it would be hard to game balance if you could get randomly kicked in the teeth very hard through a bad roll of the dice. The only way you could balance it is if it was inflicted on whole regions, and then what's the point?

Still the possibility of a plague wiping out your army isn't trivial, so I can see the value of doctors, though my own bias would be to use recruits on the things that raised EH first like the Norfolk system.

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 am

It could be argued that Famine & Plague go hand in hand, the people suffering from Famine would be weakened & more likley to fall ill. wether it be plague or other infectious disease. Possiably having a large grain reserve could prevent famine in the first place & lessen chances of plauge breaking out, Rat catchers in every city may also help keep down the vermin that carry the illness, althouhg I am not sure if it was known at the time that rats were the carriers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 pm