Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 8 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by MarkTurner26 Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Ha, I would say that might be because no one knows who you are, but as a new guy send out your introductions so people can work with you.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 8 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Deacon Wed May 20, 2015 1:53 am

MarkTurner26 wrote:Ha, I would say that might be because no one knows who you are, but as a new guy send out your introductions so people can work with you.

Yeah, most people don't bother to send mail to positions they think are NPC. Richard doesn't answer them, and they just sit there until someone picks up the position.

So if you want correspondence, you have to let it be known you're a PC position.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Wed May 20, 2015 5:50 am

MarkTurner26 wrote:Ha, I would say that might be because no one knows who you are, but as a new guy send out your introductions so people can work with you.

it's reasonable, i wasn't considering that my letters are reaching other players this turn.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 am

I'm quite surprised about the religious challenge in europe between catholics and protestants. I disn't expect this to be an issue in the period.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Wed May 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Ha ha ha, religion is always an issue
    Bearlord
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by Bearlord Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 am

Obviously it is for some. Then there is pride and honour...
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sun May 24, 2015 4:45 pm

I have to say that the latest turn was very interesting for but your first turn always is...

Very interested to see an active Portugal (aka ME!) and the fact that they are in search for a marriage for both King Pedro II and Prince Joao the future king of Portugal. The big statement from the council being that the Queen Dowager of Spain would make an excellent match for the King. But no suggestions for the young prince.

All seems set in the german states that a religious war between Protestants and Catholics is set to explode. With Munster seeking an alliance with Bavaria as a form of protection from Sweden, the Bavarian Prince is said to have been promoting an anti catholic approach.

But the new attention to a religious conflict between protestant and catholics seems set to detract the attention from the original spannish succession.
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Sun May 24, 2015 6:37 pm

The Munster issue has more to do with Swedish and Bavarian territorial ambitions that religion, but both parties are cloaking as a straight Protestant, Catholic conflict. As France is allied to both Sweden and Bavaria things could get interesting. How the Emperor and the rest of the Reich reacts is anyone's guess.
    As to the King of Portugals ambitions with the Queen Dowager, the miracle child Phillip is still King and Spain appears to be back in play.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Wed May 27, 2015 11:20 pm

I try to go with a bit of role playing with my game positions. So as Sweden, the Swedes are actually genuine about protecting Protestant rights in the Empire. It concerned the real King Charles XII who threatened the Emperor over protestant rights in Silesia. I find the game more fun trying to run it from a position realistic to the time and helps in gaining honour points.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu May 28, 2015 1:09 am

I agree. I think it's more fun to have some type of character perspective for your ruler. That said, I still think the main way to get honour in the game is to spend on "useless" stuff like cathedrals.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Thu May 28, 2015 4:28 am

Basileus wrote:I try to go with a bit of role playing with my game positions. So as Sweden, the Swedes are actually genuine about protecting Protestant rights in the Empire. It concerned the real King Charles XII who threatened the Emperor over protestant rights in Silesia. I find the game more fun trying to run it from a position realistic to the time and helps in gaining honour points.

I agree with you, but i didn't know that aspect of king Charles.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 pm

I have found that the act of building Cathedrals itself doesn't get you honour, but perhaps the honourific role you play in consecrating it. For example as England I re consecrated about 6 churches gave a speech at each one and got an honour point for everyone.

I think acting politically in game does benefit and honouring alliances definitely gets you honour points for example as Hungary in game 2 by joining my brother in law the Kaiser in a war against the french I gained like 3 honour points.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:39 pm

I know that I am role playing a strong Protestant perpective as Sweden but is it just me or did anyone else spot the lunancy of the "catholic" position last turn in the Empire? Bavaria has previously stated the primacy of catholicism in the Empire and now said nobody should criticise the catholic position. Whilst the Emperor has said there is no proof of anyone trying to overturn the religous settlement of the treaty of westphalia and then arranges a vote on the very same thing!

The interesting thing is with role playing a historic period you can see how both sides in a struggle could see things from their perspective and reason goes out the window.
    I can see in role playing this position I am seen as being provocative by the "catholics" when from my perspective I am defending protestant freedoms.
    Which all in all is probably a good thing that the game after all these years of playing it can teach an old player new perspectives and the game doesnt get stale. I am off to read up on Luther now.
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:52 pm

An alternative Imperial point of view.  The Swedes and Bavaria are fighting for influence over Munster which is a Catholic Archbishopric, both are playing the religious card.  No other protestant state within the Empire has made any complaints, and the Lutheran Electors of Prussia and Hanover have supplied troops for the Imperial Army.  The vote in the Imperial Diet could be seen as an attempt to re-endorse the Settlement of 1648 reassuring the protestants and exposing any dissenters.  The Emperor has publicly pledged to defend the peace of Westphalia.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:57 pm

If only there had been chat forums in the past where rulers could have rationally explained their perspectives. Then there might not have been a Thirty Years War and other such stuff Smile
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:22 am

An alternative Orthodox point of wiew, you're all wrong Smile

jokes apart, to me it is interesting to see that history happens, no matter what you do about it. The northern confrontation and the wss should be the beginning of the game, but it is evident that the lack of a strong russian position and ..well ...i still honestly didn't understood what has happened in spain...(but we have a successor in madrid, right?) push existing players to look for other grounds to work out for their goals, and as it always is, germany look like a great theatre to play this game.
    But, to be really honest, in this interesting overture a couple of important instrument seem to be missing, are there any players in Berlin and London at the moment?

BTW
    going back to the origins, i'm trying to push foward the enlightmement in moscow with the creation of an academical complex (agriculture, law, medicine, enginnering at the moment, but i'm still working to increase it). have you had good results making academies to cooperate together in the past?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:32 am

I have done this, and been successful, though not consistently.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:34 am

Things are getting interesting i see. Too bad some important positions are not alive now.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 pm

any one got any newspapers for this game please email me them if you have....
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:20 pm

Another turn and the war of words continues in the Empire.
    1. The Imperial Diet votes to re-endorse the Westaphalian settlement guaranteeing the rights of Catholics, Lutherans and Calvinists. The Emperor declares the matter settled and returns to Vienna to indulge his love of baroque art.
    2. The Swedish Reich Ambassador, despite voting in favour of the Westphalian Settlement, declares the Catholic faith a canker upon mankind which must be destroyed? Did he read the treaty?
    3. The Bavarian Ambassador accuses Sweden of playing up the religious issue to sow descent in the Reich. 30 yrs war part 2 anyone?
    4. Despite being in a personnel union with England the Dutch Republic holds a celebration to commemorate the Battle of the Downs and build a statue of Maarten Tromp.
    5. The French demand that England deliver the promised Irish recruits or face the consequences.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:49 pm

it's becoming the age of Menacement Smile
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of menacing if you have the Swedish army behind you. And a treaty with Prussia, Saxony, Poland and France Smile
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:00 pm

The Swedish Army is indeed formidable, but are Catholic King Louis and King Augustus going to support a state that denounces their faith as a canker. Pomerinia would surely be better under Prussian rather than Swdeish rule and I believe the Tsar has again taken the field.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Goldstar wrote:The Swedish Army is indeed formidable, but are Catholic King Louis and King Augustus going to support a state that denounces their faith as a canker.  Pomerinia would surely be better under Prussian rather than Swdeish rule and I believe the Tsar has again taken the field.

You can bet your money on that last quote my friend
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Mates,

nothing like preparing your turn while drinking a fresh beer at the hotel pub, enjoying you spare time with the wonderful sight of the alps right out of the window! The fully wooden pub dates back to early 1700, and i'm extremely grateful to the HRE for the hospitality.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm