The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Thelittleemperor
Squire
Squire

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-01-28

Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Thelittleemperor on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Rozwi , yes ..having to explain anything in the language of our characters would be an impossibility .The Europeans should all be writing in French formally ! Please nobody send me anything in French ,or Spanish or Italian or Latin or anything but English!! I will just imagine it is written in French and I or somebody else near me understands it !!Same as I would just imagine your treaty was written so as I would understand it .

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1049
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:09 am

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:
Jason wrote:used to cut bits off foreigners on a regular basis

Cool. So somebody has already set the precedent, have they.

Now nobody can complain when Scotsman stew is served on the Rozwi menu Wink

Think I have rec'd three letters I considered to be bullying in tone and down right rude to me personally:

1) Went in the bin and I just ignored the player from then on.......nothing else I could do in Crusade since in theory he was on my side and I did not have enough money for an assassination.

2) I declared war.........actually I took their letter was a declaration of way and just attacked.

3) As per 2 but I nailed their rude envoys turban to his head as well and had the head sent back.

I can confirm no more rude letters recieved, actually no more letters at all but I think they may have got the message.

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
Rozwi_Game10 wrote:
Jason wrote:used to cut bits off foreigners on a regular basis

Cool. So somebody has already set the precedent, have they.

Now nobody can complain when Scotsman stew is served on the Rozwi menu Wink

Think I have rec'd three letters I considered to be bullying in tone and down right rude to me personally:

1) Went in the bin and I just ignored the player from then on.......nothing else I could do in Crusade since in theory he was on my side and I did not have enough money for an assassination.

2) I declared war.........actually I took their letter was a declaration of way and just attacked.

3) As per 2 but I nailed their rude envoys turban to his head as well and had the head sent back.

I can confirm no more rude letters recieved, actually no more letters at all but I think they may have got the message.

You could be described as a skilled diplomat Smile

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 680
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:34 am

if you think you have received a rude correspondence, it maybe worth letting the offending player know, maybe they don't realise or think they have caused offence, maybe asking not to discuss out of game events, or asking them to stay in period will be enough, sometimes not knowing they are causing a problem will simply mean they carry on because no one tells them

If it gets to the point that it is spoiling your enjoyment , then you can always make in game actions count, like closing his embassy or kicking out the Ambassador who is after all supposed to represent his government abroad, it will possibly send a wider in game message other players will ask why you have done it. Then you can explain yourself both in the news letter & via in game letters to other players. It will most probably cause exasperation from the original sender, but it will make a clear statement as to the way you expect to be dealt with.

Maybe not as extreme as some of the Ottoman Rumelian methods, but it saves on nails

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:54 pm

If a gentleman is feeling insulted in the period the true in period thing to do is challenge the bounder to a Daul.

Not really the done thing to challenge a head of state (in theory they have Champions for this type for thing) but Ministers and Generals should be up for a bit of sport.

Thelittleemperor
Squire
Squire

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-01-28

Post by Thelittleemperor on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Yes , a duel would sort the Milan question in Game 10 .HRE v Duke of Savoy or the champions thereof .Winner takes all
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1461
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I'd agree with Jason, let the individual know how you feel. From what I know of most of us, we would be shocked to find out we had been rude like that to another player and would chance our behaviour quick...(and yes I know there might be players who mightn't change but that's why I'm stressing the most)

On duels, I do recall a duel between a restored King James of England and the Dutch UDP in the former game 3.

J Flower
King
King

Post by J Flower on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Seem to remember in the dim & distant past that there were actually rules for fighting a duel in game, or is that just my memory playing tricks with me again.....
Rozwi_Game10
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 pm

J Flower wrote:Seem to remember in the dim & distant past that there were actually rules for fighting a duel in game, or is that just my memory playing tricks with me again.....

I have those rules in an older rules book:

Rules Book 5th Ed. - Page 31 to 32

"Duelling

Where a duel is to take place, each contender should let AGEMA know, via diplomatic orders, there choice of three steps in order of use. Each step can either be made up by the player, or chosen from this list; Parry, Lunge recklessly, Side Step (Left or Right), Step Back, Jump, Trip Up, Jab low, Jab high, Duck, Step Forward.

In this age most duels were conducted with swords, not pistols. Contestants are permitted to choose another weapon if they wish, the choice being made by the challenged, not the challenger, though if a firearm is chosen the challenged can expect to lose honour! Firearms take all the skill out of the duel, making it a matter purely of luck (ignore the above procedure), and so are frowned upon by most gentleman!

To turn down a duel without good excuse is likely to lead to fall in Honour, unless between Social unequals. Good excuses included being ordered not to do so by the ruler of the State in which the duel is to take place, not wishing to duel with one of lower social rank, being very ill, etc."

- Hmm, the above could be fun. Obviously Rozwi would have to use the stabbing, or throwing spear to duel with, but this could all be fun!

J Flower
King
King

Post by J Flower on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Thank you, at least I know my memory cells are still partially functioning, I take it the duelling has fallen into disuse in game, is this due to it not being included in later rule updates?

Rozwi_Game10
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Pass. Possibly it was omitted from the latest version of the rules as duelling wasn't an often used game mechanic, so was dropped to make space?

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Post by Nexus06 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 am

First i wish to thank all of you for the support, it has been very nice. I'd like to clarify some points wich i think and hope would be usefull for the discussion.

A) First, the suggestion to calm down and wait has been usefull. My italian temper is not easy to accord with calm and comprahension, therefore it has not been simple but this is definitely the way to go.

B) I'll replay by letter clarifying that i do not like the personal tone (as he was clearly writing to the player, not to the character) and stating that a second letter of this kind would mean the closing of diplomatic relation and the beginning of a "not so cold" war.

C) I can perfectly understand harsh tone on the letter (even if they are poorly related to truth, as far as many letterr of the period i've found period like "Dear Cusin, With pain in the heart i've been forced to declare a war on your nation, as your actions were...." and not "Dear a-holes liar, im coming to kick your mama's fatt ass". But again. There is a world of difference when you are writing to the PC or to the player.

D) Duel is goo for NPC, as a ruler i'd like to go for the ambassadors precedence and threatment, woich would kindly lead to duels between ambassadors and gentlemen associated to the king.

E) this point is very close to my heart. As far as i've been able to know all you here on the forum, You are a group of smart, intelligent, polite and interesting people. And i personally enjoy spending my time with you (the more, i kind reget i could experience only limited interaction with some of you once a month). If i may say, our beloved game 9 seems to lack of players. When i used to play the pope in game 3 in the '90, there was a number of players. Not only main positions were full, but in europe it was hard to find a vacant position (in italy only Milan and Genoa; germany was about full with a glorious Mainz-Trier-Saar who was an economical power, a nice Saxon, a great Bavaria-Wurtemburg snd a colonist Prussia).
As far as i can rekon here we have:
UK
Portugal
Spain
France
Bavaria
UDP
Austria
Russia
Sweden
Moghul India
Kwantung
Ottoman Rumelia?
The Pope?

Am i missing someone?

This level of fragmentation might lead a-holes players to be even more a-holes, as it is difficult to raise huge coalitions against them
MarkTurner26
Marquess
Marquess

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

So I may have just regretted this but I have decided to take the plunge into Game 9 as... Saxony! Spreading my wings here obviously and I could possibly regret it but having never played Saxony before it could be very interesting.

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Post by Nexus06 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 am

MarkTurner26 wrote:So I may have just regretted this but I have decided to take the plunge into Game 9 as... Saxony! Spreading my wings here obviously and I could possibly regret it but having never played Saxony before it could be very interesting.

Welcome Back Mark!
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1315
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Those old rules for dueling are based on En Garde, and I'm happy to see them dropped.

The problem with them in En Garde, a game I generally liked, was that skill plays little part. It's just a matter of who gets more lucky with their guesses on what people will do. If it's just luck, you might as well just roll dice and simplify the matter. En Garde focused on this sort of thing a lot though, so it had some basis for being there.

I think in Glory, I'd rather Richard just factor in skill and any other relevant factors and roll.

That said, I can't recall seeing a duel in any of the games I've been in either, so having a special set of rules for a rare occurrence is counterproductive.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Deacon wrote:Those old rules for dueling are based on En Garde, and I'm happy to see them dropped.

The problem with them in En Garde, a game I generally liked, was that skill plays little part. It's just a matter of who gets more lucky with their guesses on what people will do. If it's just luck, you might as well just roll dice and simplify the matter. En Garde focused on this sort of thing a lot though, so it had some basis for being there.

I think in Glory, I'd rather Richard just factor in skill and any other relevant factors and roll.

That said, I can't recall seeing a duel in any of the games I've been in either, so having a special set of rules for a rare occurrence is counterproductive.

I do remember King James duelling the ruler of the UDP in G3, that's about the only one I can recall. I think it has remained rare in game, guess as it could result in the death of a character and so force a player out?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Dauls used to be more popular in Glori du Roi.......but then a Czar of Russia got killed fighting some minor German and they became less popular.

So yes it is possible to die in a daul and unless you have a strong line of succession worked out this can cause problems (Think Richard you to limit your orders if your Character was dead or captive). Which is why Royal heads of State had champions etc and hardly even if ever fought dauls. Unlike their Nobles and Ministers.

I think its fair to say fighting a daul is good for your honour but if you kill someone its bad and if you lose a Main Character and have to deplace him with is heir this is also bad for your honour score.

It should also be noted that in some places such as France and England fighting a daul is against the law (even if option of trial by combat is still on the law books) and Catholic Church dogma is very against the practice. So if your Character is a Churchman or responsible for upholding the law of the land fighting in a daul is probably not really the done thing. Though it should be noted the Duke of Wellington fought a daul when Prime Minister.......mind you he was Military & Anglo Irish and had such a high honour at that point that he could probably get away with being told off by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Post by Nexus06 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am

new turn in town...and again no good news for me Sad
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it the harvest failure or is there other bad news for you?

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Post by Nexus06 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Jason wrote:Is it the harvest failure or is there other bad news for you?

It seems that i've been afflicted by the drunkess problem we've been talking about, or it is really time to set up a russian academy of geography!!!!!

J Flower
King
King

Post by J Flower on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 am

No, Russia has it's very own problems when it comes to geography, not only can't you build Line ships but your naval captains get nervous at the thought of leaving Port ( or, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka) at any time.

Probably can get an academy to produce nice new maps or Russia & also neighbouring regions, then you need a second academy to teach all your officers how to read a map, so it is a long term project.

Best bet is to stick to the Goat farming & Vodka sampling parties,

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I think best form of Russian "exploration" is to send a bunch of Cossacks East and ask from to ride back west if they find anything of interest.

With any luck the horse will just stop or find its own way if rider is drunk.

The problem with exploration by ships is that they do not just stop or find own apart from onto a rock. Dont think the average Russia explorer gets the difference so its best to stick to the "Old Ways".

Nexus06
Earl
Earl

Post by Nexus06 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:41 pm

We are instead having huge success in handling navigation. For example, as long as ships are in a port and crews in another, chances of losing the fleet are significantly lowered!

J Flower
King
King

Post by J Flower on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:35 pm

ah, a cunning plan I really should have considered that one
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Have wondered if Russia goes about the naval buildup a bit wrong. I think most players try and get the ships and/or shipbuilding abilities but don't obtain the seamanship skills. Perhaps what they should do is send potential crews off to an academy for a year first to be trained (either by foreign missions or by Russians who were previously trained by foreign missions) in seamanship skills-you would need some trained as 'other ranks' and others trained in officer seamanship. Would take longer to build up a fleet but might mean Russia gets a fleet that doesn't get lost/sink/sail off the edge of the world...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 am