Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: About to dip my toes in the water

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Jason wrote:The French are usually to blame Wink

In same games they have to share the blame with the Venice.........but as this is Scabble (no Venice) I think the above quote should read "The French are always to blame."

Its fairly easy to blame them for the rise of Prussia, Xenophobic Russians and the anarchy in North Africa. The tricky bit is the link between Paris & the Opium Cartel.
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 am

Motion so seconded!

The last item you speak of has some investigators interested.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

August 1856 Britannic Times has shown up and for non players here are the highlights:

1) To lose one Emperor is unfortunate.......to lose two as the French have now done is just careless!

The body of Emperor Mulay-Napoleon I has not yet been found but Prime Minister Thier has declared the Emperor lost at sea and declared the 4th Republic.

This means that we now have three possible claims to be the legitimate ruler of Franconia:

- Adolphe Thier & the Republicans in Paris.......who seem to have majority support in Paris (but perhaps not other more Royalist/Imperial area's)
- The Prince Imperial (son of the mirdered Emperor Napoleon III) and the exiled Imperial Govt in England. Which is still viewed as the legitimate Govt of Franconia by Brittania, Russia, Austria & Germania.
- A rather wet Mulay-Napoleon who is backed by Nuns & Camel Herders and not many others.

The key questions seems to be are Otto Von etc loyal to the Imperial Govt in exile or did the just object to the Islamic Republic? And can they be won over with gifts of smelly cheese being handed out as gifts by Republican Envoys?

2) Otto's cavalry boys in El Oued attempted to ride down some locals and their French Officiers who at that point were probably still loyal subjects of Mulay-Napoleon.........Otto Vons boys got a good kicking. Meanwhile Otto Von's envoy to the Mohox had to flee with his scalp only just attached to his head. The Mohox may not like white men.........or are perhaps holding out for a better offer from Lord Derby.

3) Osterreich has taken to asking the Pope & other Italians for advise on foreign policy, digging in ruined cities and considering handing over its allies to slave traders. But oddly no mention of the Imperial Air Service (crashes involving)

4) Siam spent month bullying goat farmers (........oddly no mention of Triads, Opium etc). Oh, they also seem to be building a new city on Chinese land..............did they get planning permission from the Manchu Emperor first?

5) Nippon Admirals also offering to abuse Manchu Mandarins in charge of Planning..............and all other Chinese as well!

6) Can things get any worse for China? In a word ....YES......the infamous Lord Francis Farnworth. Britannic Lord, Owner of Punch & the Times, Liberal Party Sponsor and largest Drug Baron in the world in now based in Hong Hong & talking the the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank (probably asking for interest rates on 4M).

7) With Farnworth out of the country and the Opium Corporation key operative vanished Quintin of the Yard has not made much progress on getting the Tea Cartel its 4m back. Perhaps because if stories are true he was too busy taking the Silk One out to dinner to say sorry and explain the importance of good intelligence to the modern military.

Truely a sybol of the importance how inocient foreigners have nothing to fear and of "Justice for all" in Brittania under the enlightened administration of Lord Derby cheersOf course some cynics would claim it also helps if you are Royalty, have the best lawyers money can buy and friends in high places.

Cool In Indea and China Farnworth's lackies seem to be on a charm offensive trying to convince people that the Albion Corporation are spiffing chaps and not a front for Triads & Gangsters. Doubt if Lord Derby & the chaps in the HEIC will be convinced that the Albion Corporation has changed its ways but some people seem to believe (...........some people also believe the the same about the Janissary Corp & the Doge of Venice..........some people are idiots)
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 pm

(...........some people also believe the the same about the Janissary Corp & the Doge of Venice..........some people are idiots)

Too Funny!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Sept 1856 edition of the Britannic Times has been printed and for people interested but not playing in the game here are the highlights:

1) In what is generally viewed as a snap rigged election (well by Royalists & Imperialists) the republican political leader Adophe Thier has been elected President of the 4th Republic. Oddly the polling papers offered no alternative to a Republic such as bringing the Prince Imperial back from England or even an alternative President to Adophe Thier.

Reaction to developments in Franconia can best be called mixed:

2) The Italians welcomed the restoration of Catholic Rule in Franconia and are trying to ignore on going and strange practices by French Nuns.

3) The Austrians did not say a word .......being more interested in finding the lost tomb of the Queen of Sheba.

4) The Germans are happy to accept the change from French Empire to Republic provided they are bribed with French colonies. Has Otto Von got no shame? What price his promise to help restore the French Imperial Govt?

5) Lord Derby welcomed the changes.....but that was before French did away with the Empire and left him with an "unwanted" Royal Family and Imperial Govt in exile he has promised to support.

6) Finally we have the Russian Imperial Govt doggedly holding to their position that people should not go around killing Emperor's in case it scares the horses and gives the pleb's idea's. It seems that the Czar can not see much difference between a Islamic Republic and a Republic.

French Republican & Russian Ships have already clashed outside of Tripoli but despite the wreck shown on the front page of the paper no ships were actually lost. The Russian were saved by their superior armour......all 14 Russian Battleships engaged were Ironclads their Cruisers did not engage. The French Cruisers, Transports and Gunboats also kept out of the fighting and their Battlefleet avoided harm mostly due to poor Russian shooting.

If the fighting range had closed to short it would have been interesting to see if the Russian Armour would have continued to shrug of hits and if their gunners could hit a barn door.

Meanwhile away from the mire that is the French Republic/Empire/Monarchy (delete as required):

7) The Albion Corporation is busy recruiting Irish men to work in the Amerika's. The mind boggles at how Lord Derby is going to view the Alliance of Liberals & Triads which is the Opium Cartel (AKA the Albion Corp) getting all friendly with the Irish and the Yanks Suspect

Cool The Warriors of the Ashanti have taken back the Ivory Coast from the Austrians.

9) It is claimed in Warding's club in Calcutta that a lot of weapons have arrived for the HEIC paid for by British Tax payers. This seems a bit odd since the HEIC normally supplies the Brit Govt with tax income & weapons not the other way round.

10) Perhaps the HEIC is gearing up for battle with Bima over Assam and the other disputed lands? It seems that Bima railways have problems with track being too brittle and not taking the weight.......in contrast HEIC railways run to the border and can drop of the QF artillery & Maxim guns of the Indea Army fresh, rested and ready for the off. Will the Triads & Opium Barons be as ready to face the dreaded "Way of the Maxim and Wrist Spin"?????

11) Finally last but not least the most honourable King of Sima wants to expand his harem by buying fair, beautiful and virginal maids from France, Germania & Britannia. White Slavers are expecting record prices Very Happy ..........If King Mongkut can drag himself away from the joys of his harem he may also note that the Chin have knocked down the city he was having built in China (without planning permission).

Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:36 pm

If only Germania had a navy, its just like game 7 of Glory of Kings where I only have 3 galleys as Austria. The unprovoked attack by Franconia on the Rossian navy will no doubt require a strong Germanian response from the Kaiser.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Basileus wrote:If only Germania had a navy, its just like game 7 of Glory of Kings where I only have 3 galleys as Austria. The unprovoked attack by Franconia on the Rossian navy will no doubt require a strong Germanian response from the Kaiser.

Why does Germania want another Navy in Scabble?...........you wrecked the last one.

Also scrabble is a Agema run game which means that the "Rule of the Prussian Yacht Squadron" applies.........ie If any Germanic players takes ships out of the Baltic, Rhine or Danube they will automatically sink.

German Fleets are for looking at while tied up alongside with a band playing! (agh thats why you want one......background for Otto's Brass Band)
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1430
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 am

Basileus wrote:If only Germania had a navy, its just like game 7 of Glory of Kings where I only have 3 galleys as Austria. The unprovoked attack by Franconia on the Rossian navy will no doubt require a strong Germanian response from the Kaiser.

What attack? Where we reading the same paper?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Um Tripoli? Wasnt that an unprovoked atttack by Franconia on a peaceful Rossian trade mission?
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 am

Basileus wrote:Um Tripoli? Wasnt that an unprovoked atttack by Franconia on a peaceful Rossian trade mission?

To quote the Paper: "Back at sea the Russian warships opened fire at long range upon the French republican ships!" and "Admiral Brisson was shocked beyond belief by the unexpected attack, and feeling tense and nervous he suddenly
demanded his ironclads and lineships engage the enemy!"

You're welcome to have a go at me, but it helps if you don't directly contradict the paper...
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Exactly, an unprovoked Franconian attack. I'm only messing around, in the spirit of the game. You really dont have to worry, I dont have any warships. At best, Stuart is right, if they do more than provide a background to a dubious brass band I will be more suprised than most. And thats when I have some!
Scramble is a game, where I think it really doesnt matter that much. I actually scuppered my own fleet because it felt like the right thing to do. Its not a serious as GoK - I think of Otto von Bismark as Frankie Howard in a Carry on Film, and my admiral is Charles Haughtry !
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 am

It is the great joy of the game, its lightheartedness...I love the seriousness of GoK...but vampire nuns in airships, Islamic frenchies and self-sinking fleets are a delight to behold...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 am

The important point about scramble is that lost ships dont matter because the blasted things tend to be past their sale by date and need of a rebuild every couple of years anyway.

Following Naval battle at Tripoli looks like both Navies will need to bring forward their Ship Building Plans as:

1) The French still seem to be using lots of small guns which give them loads of hits.......no doubt effective against some targets but not much effect against Ironclads.

2) Russians in contrast use bigger guns but suffer the same problem as the British Victoria class in that if their fire off a full broadside it roles the ship and screws up aiming.

Who the hell is in charge of Naval Design in this game..........Frankie Howard?
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:30 am

Britannia learned how to fix it... We will pass along the fix for a fee.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:33 am

Well, I'm like 2 turns in. and I don't think I've really got the hang of it yet.
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:16 am

I play from a serious angle... I notice that some of the others play with some comedy involved, but the British Empire has never been a laughing matter. Certainly not at this point!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:18 pm

revvaughan wrote:I play from a serious angle... I notice that some of the others play with some comedy involved, but the British Empire has never been a laughing matter. Certainly not at this point!

Very true.......the major British Objectives of spreading cricket and polo and shooting anyone found with a baseball bat is clearly not a laughing matter.

For non players in scrabble it should perhaps be noted that the British Players......Lord Derby, Opium Cartel, Tea Cartel, HEIC .......often seem to be playing a game within a game. Others may be half tempted to join in the on going rows but this tends to be hard core dirty tricks and bare knuckle stuff.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:18 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Very true.......the major British Objectives of spreading cricket and polo and shooting anyone found with a baseball bat is clearly not a laughing matter.

Sensible policies for a better world I feel... Wink

Wilderbeest
Lord
Lord

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by Wilderbeest on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:48 pm

I have to say the city in Chin doesn't really matter, let the Chinese knock it down. Next on my construction will be a series of palaces in provinces I own, so that King Mongkut (& Harem) can go on a Royal Progress.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:42 pm

Wilderbeest wrote:I have to say the city in Chin doesn't really matter, let the Chinese knock it down. Next on my construction will be a series of palaces in provinces I own, so that King Mongkut (& Harem) can go on a Royal Progress.

Does this "laid back" attitude reflect the fact that King Mongkut has been smoking too much of his own product?

One suspects that the true hero's of scabble such as Napoleon III & Lord Derby would not be so relaxed about the Chin knocking their cities down.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Deacon on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 am

I have decided to drop out for now. I started a new job at the end of july after 18 months of effective unemployment (worked for a start up for nothing but equity). So while I now can afford to play... The new job is still too all consuming for me to have the time to sit down and figure the game out.

I deliberately took a job in a new industry, so I'm learning a ton, having fun, but beat to heck at the end of each day.

I will probably revisit this in 6 months or so when I my sea legs in the new job.

Which is a round-about way of saying if anybody wants to jump in as the fourth republic franconia, nows your chance...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Deacon wrote:
I have decided to drop out for now. I started a new job at the end of july after 18 months of effective unemployment (worked for a start up for nothing but equity). So while I now can afford to play... The new job is still too all consuming for me to have the time to sit down and figure the game out.

I deliberately took a job in a new industry, so I'm learning a ton, having fun, but beat to heck at the end of each day.

I will probably revisit this in 6 months or so when I my sea legs in the new job.

Which is a round-about way of saying if anybody wants to jump in as the fourth republic franconia, nows your chance...

Pity yet another change to the French Govt required due to Pesky real life getting in the way.

For anyone who wants to take over Franconia its still probably one of the best and most developed positions to take over having been played by various players from the start.............good rifles etc and lots of NPC allies.

Key question for any new player would seem to be continue with the Republic or bring back the Imperial Govt from exile. The later option may help diplomatic relations with foreign Monarch's but might also involve having to "retire" AKA Hang for High Treason one of your characters.

Hell you have 11 others and lots of other people have "retired" characters or had them "retired" for them.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Nov 1857 Britannic Times has shown up and oh boy is anyone happy? About anything?

- President Kruger is upset with Lord Beaconsfield and threats to Boer Sovereignty.....can't think why anyone would think that a small republic sat on the world's largest gold and diamond mines is in danger from the cuddly and loveable Brittanic Empire next door.

- Queen Min of Koreva (Korea) is exasperated about life in general..........and the unwillingness of traditionalist's and more modern thinking elements of her Court to co-operate. The Queen clearly feels such co-operation may be needed with Chin in Anarchy, Nippon growing and flexing its might. While to her North we have the happy hymn singing cossacks.

- Gov Wang Chi upset with degeneracy of Boxers & Japanese.

- Gov-Gen Hardinge private train has been taken over by illegal Chinese squatters who are using it as a drugs den.......nothing said how upset Viscount Hardinge is about this development but he is probably not happy.

- Julie of the Mission LaChaste is not happy being still locked up by the French (her escape attempt failed).

- Brig Caine is upset because his ship has sunk in the South Atlantic.

- German's in Grand Erg upset because their prisoner Sister Marie la Jugulaire has escaped.

Apart from that not a lot seem's to have happened apart from .......the Brit's slinging writs at each other while the Russia's and Tartars are having fighting again.

Last edited by Stuart Bailey on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 am