Best Technological Invention - military or otherwise

Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1315
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Best Technological Invention - military or otherwise

Post by Deacon on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Anybody have any opinions on the best inventions, military or otherwise?

Some of them look like they'd be pretty useful, but others not so much. But I wonder if that plays out in game?

Anybody want to share any technology experiences?

Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Re: Best Technological Invention - military or otherwise

Post by Kingmaker on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 am

watches. Issuing watches to all the officers so they can coordinate attacks etc is one.

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1461
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 am

That's a good one Kingmaker, never considered watches in that way before...

As to technological developments, in various Chinese roles I have 'rediscovered' various 'lost' technologies that have proved useful-paddle wheels, kites, repeating crossbows, Chinese and Magic Lanterns (useful for trade).

I have developed Trackways in one game, their impact still isn't clear but I think they have made my mines (or at least the moving of what comes out of them) more efficient.
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1578

Post by Kingmaker on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 am

yes trackways for mines is a development that helps extraction

Ardagor
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 351

Post by Ardagor on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

I once put a mining academy on the task on determining the effect of various mining technologies.

Bucket parties are considered useful for safety and reduce stoppages due to localised flooding since it is dealt With more quickly

Caged birds improves miner protection considerably, especially in new mines, but have a negative impact on Production due to false alarms (the birds being more sensitive to gases than people are).

Deep shaft stel drills aids the use of explosives and so when used in conjunction with explosives definitely boosts productivity being faster and more accurate than other means of laying charges.

Explosives are actually a safety benefit since a system is in Place, and while by its very nature using explosives can be hazardous, it is held that this boosts in most cirumstances. It is unclear whether it has any benefit on Production, but it might have.

Ligthers generally improves safety, except for the men who initially go down the mine and risk death! However this Works out safer for the majority of the men. The start of each shift is delayed by their use, but this is deemed less damaging to Production than using birds.

Mules boost Production and reduce strain on the miners.

Rails aid mules in shifting minerals on carts, and are a clear aid to production and reduce strain on miners.

Rockfall protection improves safety and on account of fewer problems from blockages is believed by some to also benefit production, but considering the amount of time spent making areas safe using timbersit probably reduces production in practice.

I love developing technology in game and all my positions tend to get a long list, one page of "inventions" is my best effort to date.

Last edited by Ardagor on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1315
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I find it hard to tell what works and what doesn't.

I've done a number of mining advances, and my productivity is up quite a bit, but my economy is also doing very well, so I don't know if that's why, or the mining advances. It may even just be some random roll from Richard as to how well things fared.

Too many moving parts!

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1461
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Must admit with Deacon a lot of the time on what is working and what isn't

The one I always like to develop but am not sure if it is really working is steam power, I somehow doubt I'll end up ever starting railways early but hey... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 pm