Jason's Thread of Scramble Ignorance...

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Jason's Thread of Scramble Ignorance...

Post by Jason on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Ok folks...a few silly questions if I may...

1) I've got the Wild West map...and I'm a bit confused by it. This will sound a silly question I'm sure but where are Amerika North and South? I know the 'home' nations of players don't appear on maps (so we can be naughty and invade them) but looking at the Wild West, North America seems to be there...other than perhaps Florida and Maine are missing?

2) What is the difference between a lineship and an ironclad...other than 10k? Wink
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Re: Jason's Thread of Scramble Ignorance...

Post by Basileus on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 am

Um, an ironclad is clad in iron.
However, when I started this game I was thinking of dreadnaughts which I dont think they are in the game, or not unless you have a highly researched version. There are three types of cladding - iron, steel, compound.
Yes, New York is included on the map and the basic structure of north America seems right. I would suggest not worrying about it.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for that Basileus Smile

On North America...yes, shouldn't overthink things...just seemed a bit odd that (in theory) you could attack the homelands of Amerika North and South...

Sorry, wasn't being clear on the ironclad question, I'm just trying to work out what an ironclad is in the game, if there is a clear indication of whether they are HMS Warrior-type vessels or something more like USS Monitor...or more like another ship?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Sorry, I am really not good on the differences, my fleet of ironclads had to be scuttled because they were so badly designed. Possibly they were sabotaged in the build stage, it is a bit of an arms race. Contact the English or HEIC in the game, they seem to have the best ships.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 pm

You could also probably specify what it is you want to build as well.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks again Smile

I'm just really trying to work out what the difference is between the two types of vessels and which I might be better off building; at the moment I've only got the 'basic' types in the rules (unless I can make it worthwhile for someone to sell the noble Nippon something more advanced)...will be some time before Nippon is in a position to research more advanced versions
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 pm

You must research Kamikaze ironclads! And Kamikaze paratroopers (no need for parachutes)! You can send agents to scotland to recruit double agent kamikaze scotsmen!
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Now there's an idea.... Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:55 pm

If you want to try out "Kamikaze" ships.......note the section in the rules which read's "You can choose to construct an ironclad with no guns, such a vessel is known as a Ram Ship and relies solely on its ability to ram a target rather than on firepower."

Oddly this tactic worked for Austrians against the Italians in 1866 when the Krupp Guns on order for their new Iron Clads did not show up in time so they just went into action counting on their Armour to save them from Italian Gunfire.

In game this tactic could work if your opponent is a poor shot with weak guns and you have good armour but its not a tactic I would put a great deal of faith in.......unless you want to claim that the ramming of the ???????Flagship by a Iron built Nipon Merchant Ship loaded with stone was a accident.

Ref early Ironclads in game according the Richard they are Deep Water Lineships with sail & rigging (and perhaps paddle wheels or engines as well) but with Iron Armour to protect them from this new fangled explosive shell which is starting to be used in the 1850's. Think ships like like the French Gloire and the British HMS Warrior rather than the Merrimack or the Monitor. Which were really armoured gunboats for river use/inshore.

Of course you can always build a "de-rigged" Ironclad like the Monitor but it would have very limited range and would probably sink in high sea's (just like the American and German Navy I hear you cry).

If you do wish to build a proper Ironclad without mast's and rigging offering an unarmoured target and getting in the way of your new heavy guns you will need:

- A) Some good engines with boilers which do not explode
- B) Lots of Coal.......either Transports loaded with coal or build very big ships with extra coal bunkers.

No one has run out of coal yet which could be due to I) Players are staying loyal to sails or II) Agema is saving it up for a key moment
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks Stuart Smile Something to think about...

Though if I build a ram...I WILL have to call it Thunder Child Wink
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Can I eat your brains...mean pick your brains...not sure why I typed eat...but hold on...if we can have vampiric nuns, why not zombie samurai?

Sorry...where was I? Asking questions...

In game there are mentions of the 'Crown Constabulary", Indian Special Branch and other such police/security forces. Are these formed units (like infantry battalions/ironclads)? Are they formations that are deemed to exist because you have said a character is head of it?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Jason wrote:Can I eat your brains...mean pick your brains...not sure why I typed eat...but hold on...if we can have vampiric nuns, why not zombie samurai?

Sorry...where was I? Asking questions...

In game there are mentions of the 'Crown Constabulary", Indian Special Branch and other such police/security forces. Are these formed units (like infantry battalions/ironclads)? Are they formations that are deemed to exist because you have said a character is head of it?

I think you can create them either way - The Royal Canadian Mounted Police seem to be formed from normal Cavalry Squardrons and are effective on the Battle Field (They seem to have been raised and lead by a General). While the Military can "Police" a province and put down armed revolts I am not sure how effective they would be against agents and the like. Though clearly if you have armed guards on your shipyards, characters and ministry buildings its going to make harder targets.

- Indian Special Branch are plan clothes police types and answer to a Politician.

- The Crown Constabulary were also set up by a Politician but seem to be lead by an Agent.

Under the "Politician" Character Class it says these gentlemen "Help maintain stability in the Home Country or province in which they are placed. They make the work of rebels and agitators less likely to succeed" clearly setting up and/or heading a police force comes under this catagory. But I doubt if Richard would mind if you decided to have some of your military as a "Police Force" esp since keeping law and order was a samari job in Nipon.

Along with drinking tea and fighting the odd battle.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Stuart Smile That helps clarify things...

revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 pm

The Crown Constabulary are set up as you say. That is about all I can say about thatWhat a Face

The ironclads have advanced quite a bit past the HMS Warrior. See the depiction of the latest British warship in the prior edition of the Times. Interested parties in game should contact Her Majesty's Government.

The Royal Canadians are a regular army unit and not a police force.

Glad to have a new individual aboard in Scramble!
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Ahhh thanks Rev...I think there is a letter on the way...
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Excellent... Not sure where from, but will figure that out in the game. Look forward to reading it.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm Nippon in Scramble Smile (have revealed that elsewhere)
revvaughan
King
King

Post by revvaughan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Her Majesty's Government eagerly awaits mail.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Jason,

Ref the last couple of posts on ships & their armour and guns.....a few issues ago the Britannic Times published the following info:

- Mounted on open deck: Napoleon light, Krupp light, Gatling Guns and Maxim Guns

- Mounted on broadside of ship, perhaps on several decks: Napoleon field, Beaulieu light, Krupp field

- Mounted on deck pivot mounts: Beaulieu Heavy & Bange Heavy.......if the ship has Iron or Compound armour pivot mounted guns are in open topped barbettes on steel armoured ships they are in turrets.

- QF guns can be fitted as a secondary armament normally in armoured casemate sponsons.

Since the game seems to have compressed about 40 years of Naval Development into about five this has resulted in a very wide range of ships being in service at the same time (even in the same Navy). Same can be said about Armies since new Troops start off with Muskets or Napoleonic Field Artillery even if more modern weapons are being used by other troops in the same army......its a bit like the American Civil War in this respect.

The good news is that the Italians & the HEIC have not "lost" any modern Ironclads in the same way as batches of modern rifles have been lost (Probably only a matter of time). So the Emperor's Admirals can probably guess what they are up against rather better than his Generals.

As a rule of thumb if the ship heading your way has Turrets and is flying a white ensign or the Imperial battle standard its probably wise to run away! Only problem is that if its got a white ensign its probably faster than you as well.

My solution would be to "Ninga" their Admiral.
I
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks Stuart Smile

That is extremely useful, esp the timescales. Helps give me a better idea for what's going on Smile

Ok, so for now I'll be careful who I attack...
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm a little confused by the movement rules. I've reread them several times and still can't quite get clear in my mind...

How far can an order tell a character/formation to go?

Is it like Glory where you can tell them to move from, say, Britannia to Canton, China and just let them sail on their happy way knowing they will get there eventually.

Or would you need to issue a series of orders for such a journey, one per turn and instructing the character/formation to sail from say Britannia to South Atlantic Ocean in the first turn, then next sea area second turn, and so on until finally you order them to arrive off Canton?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Jason wrote:I'm a little confused by the movement rules. I've reread them several times and still can't quite get clear in my mind...

How far can an order tell a character/formation to go?

Is it like Glory where you can tell them to move from, say, Britannia to Canton, China and just let them sail on their happy way knowing they will get there eventually.

Or would you need to issue a series of orders for such a journey, one per turn and instructing the character/formation to sail from say Britannia to South Atlantic Ocean in the first turn, then next sea area second turn, and so on until finally you order them to arrive off Canton?

I find if I am going a long distance I just give the start and finish points but if you are undertaking military manouvers I tend to be more precise on the particular provinces to pass through
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 pm

Ahh, thanks Basileus! Smile
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Well...slowly finding my way in this game...

couple of questions if I may

1) Cavalry-is there any consensus on how they should be armed? My current ones are mixed, some armed with firearms and others with spears.

2) Weapons development-is there any rules on how long developments take place? I'm currently researching firearms, does it take a considerable time to develop a new rifle?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:02 pm

research takes too long. You could try stealing blue prints, but that just seems to annoy other players. As to cavalry - try to put something together which suits Nippon/Japan. Because I have provinces in the Ukraine I am now raising Tatar lancers, but I might come unstuck with that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 am