Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

Jason's Thread of Scramble Ignorance...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Jason's Thread of Scramble Ignorance...

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Jason wrote:Well...slowly finding my way in this game...

couple of questions if I may

1) Cavalry-is there any consensus on how they should be armed? My current ones are mixed, some armed with firearms and others with spears.

2) Weapons development-is there any rules on how long developments take place? I'm currently researching firearms, does it take a considerable time to develop a new rifle?

Hi Jason,

In reply to the above:

1) Cavalry with fire arms are basically mounted infantry and will dismount to fight..........from battle accounts to date they seem handy at flanking and getting infantry to stand and fight. Major disadvantages is that they get shot up by Infantry (unless they have much better rifles) and struggle to bring proper Cavalry to battle.

Cavalry with Lances & Swords look good on parade and are effective against other cavalry, routers and sometimes the flanks of engaged troops but struggle to ride down even colonial malitia with sand clogged muskets.

Both types of mounted troops seem about even at scouting, cutting telegraph lines and blowing up trains etc.

2) Not certain but a suspect you have a small percentage chance each month of a R & D success. This may also vary with your prestige and what type of position you are running. States do not seem better at this R & D lark than private industry or even bad missionary types. Of course this might reflect the shocking amount of industrial esponiage in this game.

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks Stuart

That's useful Smile I am more tempted towards swords and lances for cavalry but I am a bit of a traditionalist...

Think I am just aware am playing catchup on developments and how far I am behind...I mean, I haven't even begun to think about airships yet Wink

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Jason wrote:Thanks Stuart

That's useful Smile I am more tempted towards swords and lances for cavalry but I am a bit of a traditionalist...

Think I am just aware am playing catchup on developments and how far I am behind...I mean, I haven't even begun to think about airships yet Wink

I look forward seeing the traditional mass charge of mounted Japanese cavalry with swinging spears........ into waiting infantry Very Happy Really enjoyed the movie's "Kagamusha" and even the "Last Samuri" had its moments.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Airships transporting a Nipponese cavalry regiment, nows theres a thought.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:42 pm

In my on-going search for enlightenment...

Home Garrisons-is there much point having a garrison force in your home country? You can't be attacked at home so you don't need to worry about invasion but is it a good idea to keep a force at home to counter, say, revolt/rebellion?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:30 pm

I used troops based at home to put down a rebellion in Bavaria, if I hadnt it could have spread.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks Basileus Smile That makes sense! Will keep a small garrison at home.

Ok, next question...

Naval Transports/transporting armies. My original plan was to have a sizable number of naval transports as part of my fleet, enough to move an army in one go, but is that really the best use of units? Recently the newspaper did say you can hire transports as and when to move units/supplies/whatever and I wonder if that would be the better option?
I can see the value of having one or two transports, to move special cargoes or to act as royal yachts, but otherwise hiring seems to make more sense...or am I missing something?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:26 pm

I have some naval transports but I am currently finding it easier to hire commercial transports to transport troops from Crimea to North Africa. I suspect it might be just as cost effective because you could have transports hanging around for a couple of years without using them. Also you dont have the problem of waiting to raise them and having your transports in the right place at the right time.
I suppose as Nippon you might want to use transports to move troops to the playable Chinese provinces. In which case I would use commercial transports if I was you.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks Smile That was my initial feeling but wanted to check I wasn't missing something obvious...

Less transports...more warships Smile
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:40 pm

We have enough transports to move two infantry regiments with supporting cavalry in one move. I would like to cut the number that I have in hand and will likely place some with private corporations shortly.

There was a conversation on page 2 regarding cavalry and their arms and usage. I have taken the path of issuing carbines and pistols to all mounted units (pistols are cartridge revolvers), but they also retain their swords in the event that they are needed in a more traditional sense. It would appear that my colonial cavalry is rather effective in the Wild West at standing and fighting.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for that Rev, on both counts Smile

I am going to reduce the number of transports, simply think it is better use to hire when required and have a few extra military units.

The carbines and swords idea also seems very sensible
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm

In the rules it does say a player can run a nation and have a second position as head of a trading company or church. Has anyone done this, if so how has it gone?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Jason wrote:In the rules it does say a player can run a nation and have a second position as head of a trading company or church. Has anyone done this, if so how has it gone?

2nd position option of a company/church does seem to have been used and for various reasons:

- Famously the original French player set up a order of Nuns mostly to give France more "Characters" and a 2nd lot of "R & D". We also think he had watched too many Ken Russell films on the subjects of brothels and nuns.

- The British position apperently started with so many "Governors" that it needed to turn to private industry (The Tea Cartel's Engineers) if anything was going to get built.

You will note that some countries start with trade company positions attached so some players may wish to make sure that the company is friendly and block someone else taking them and using them in a hostile manner. The finger has been pointed at the British Opium Cartel being run by a foreign power but a) This has never been proved and b) The Opium Cartel AKA the Albion Corp has been such a labour of love for someone that rather than a Country with a Company its probably now a Company with a Country.

Lord Derby now seems to have a full set of trade companies under the Union Jack a) The Tea Cartel......very pro Govt b) The Opium Cartel very anti Govt (does it have foreign hand behind it?) c) The HEIC (me Very Happy ) Which pays its taxes etc and its broadly supportive of the Goverment but is clearly seperate and prone to lobbying.

The HEIC is both a historic and in game oddity in that its a company with some "country" traits.

- We also have seen the movement of trade company head offices from one country to another so the new head office country gets the tax and prestige boast privided by friendly trade companies/churches. One company moved to Siam and I assume it may have had the same player.

- Finally we come to the major advantage "Plausible Denial"............if its a trade company/church character who gets caught Nippon can still deny everything.
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 am

Excellent description sir! A rather interesting post is coming to the good Lord Hardinge...
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks, very informative Smile

Is it possible to transfer characters from a nation to a company (e.g. from Nippon to...a totally hypothetical company that I have no intention of establishing... Wink)?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:02 am

Jason wrote:Thanks, very informative Smile

Is it possible to transfer characters from a nation to a company (e.g. from Nippon to...a totally hypothetical company that I have no intention of establishing... Wink)?

Since Nippon has 12 Characters & the Company/Church has 12 Characters you would have to "retire" or "disown" a company character to make a space for the Character from Nippon to transfer into. Then raise new character to fill vacant Nippon space.

Seems a bit long winded to me!

Company Engineers, Agents, Rebels etc can act as a valuable support for Nippon. But if company Admirals, Generals, Diplomats start trying to act for Nippon things will probably go wrong as the military etc dont like being ordered around by "civilians".
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for that Stuart SmileI wasn't sure if a new company would have vacancies or not in its 12 positions; when I took on Nippon I had 3 vacant positions. My thinking was to transfer trade directors and engineers to a new company and then create extra military posts and governors in Nippon.

I should explain a bit. In my current role at work, I have developed a small exhibition on a Scottish merchant/industrialist/arms dealer/combination of Arthur Daley and Sir Richard Branson, called Thomas Blake Glover. He had a major role in the industrialisation of Japan after it opened up, and is a bit of a hero in Japan even today. He helped establish the Kirin Brewery, introduced the first steam train in Japan, was an advisor to Mitsubishi in its early days, he seems to have had some role in the diplomacy in the build up to the Russo-Japanese War, and apparently was involved in the discussions that led to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance! Because of this work I've got a bit caught up in aspects of Japan's development as an industrailised nation in the latter part of 19th C.
I have created a slightly alternate Glover in Scramble (as an engineer).

If I do go for the company approach, I'd be tempted to go quasi-historical and have a Mitsubishi-like company, close to the government but not going in for military adventures,instead focusing on trade and industry

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Jason wrote:Thanks for that Stuart SmileI wasn't sure if a new company would have vacancies or not in its 12 positions; when I took on Nippon I had 3 vacant positions. My thinking was to transfer trade directors and engineers to a new company and then create extra military posts and governors in Nippon.

I should explain a bit. In my current role at work, I have developed a small exhibition on a Scottish merchant/industrialist/arms dealer/combination of Arthur Daley and Sir Richard Branson, called Thomas Blake Glover. He had a major role in the industrialisation of Japan after it opened up, and is a bit of a hero in Japan even today. He helped establish the Kirin Brewery, introduced the first steam train in Japan, was an advisor to Mitsubishi in its early days, he seems to have had some role in the diplomacy in the build up to the Russo-Japanese War, and apparently was involved in the discussions that led to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance! Because of this work I've got a bit caught up in aspects of Japan's development as an industrailised nation in the latter part of 19th C.
I have created a slightly alternate Glover in Scramble (as an engineer).

If I do go for the company approach, I'd be tempted to go quasi-historical and have a Mitsubishi-like company, close to the government but not going in for military adventures,instead focusing on trade and industry

I think the reason Nippon had three vacant positions was that when you took it over it had already been played and had suffered some losses. One Nippon Admiral had gone down with his fleet in a Typhoon not sure about the other two.

Assume Richard can advise which "company" positions are free and which have past history.

Richard does not seem to care much if "companies" switch their head office (Tax location) and change their names but I assume you probably have to pay for the move ie new head office/headed paper and it probably also dents the prestige. The HEIC is not going to move! Its Director's worry about their Knighthood's & invites to Royal Garden Parties but its probably less costly in all ways for "lesser" companies.

I

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 pm