Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Did you know?

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Did you know? Empty Did you know?

Post by Kingmaker Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Agema (Greek: Άγημα), is a term to describe a military detachment, used for a special cause, such as guarding high valued targets. Due to its nature the Agema is most probably composed by elite troops.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Did you know? Empty Re: Did you know?

Post by Deacon Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Nope, never really thought about it. Interesting choice.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 pm

See...... if people were willing to play a proper Ancient Period game with Greeks and Romans rather than wanting something set in the Dark Ages they could have Armies with proper Units like the Agema, Companions, Argyraspids etc.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 am

Greeks and Romans...ahhh the Glory of Men in Bedsheets... Wink Give me a shieldwall and a row of Danes to slaughter any day Very Happy
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 am

Pass me a fancy uniform , some muskets and a line of cavalry then all back to the club for drinks Uzzaaahhh....  Did you know? 3497527849 
    Demantiae
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2014-06-08

Post by Demantiae Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Partial to a hoplite phallanx myself. And magic, love me some magic.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Demantiae wrote:Partial to a hoplite phallanx myself. And magic, love me some magic.

Aggggh..........I want something set in the Hellanistic period...............and it seems the forum wants to talk about something set around the fall of Troy or set in the Nordic Saga's.

On the subject of games with magic in them Agema used to run one in Italy (Vendetta?) did anyone play it? And did the magic add anything to the game?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 am

There was once a play by mail game set at the time of the Hellenestic Successor states; a very good game, but run by another company. It would be a great time frame for agema to run a game in.
    Demantiae
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2014-06-08

Post by Demantiae Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I don't know if it would necessarily work in the game format's used by Agema but a game set at the moment of the sudden death of Alexander the Great would be awesome with players taking the roles of the generals of his army and having to discuss/fight amongst themselves to carve up his empire. I like game where the intrigue and rivalries begin before the first building turn has begun!
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I think most of the generals were with Alexander when he died but were in charge of different provinces. The obvious example was Ptolemy who kept Egypt.
    Again, I think, the things to control after Alexanders death were royal family members, the royal army, royal treasuries and provinces, but some provinces were more important than others - because they were richer/raised important troops/were prestigous.
    Could make a good game.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Demantiae wrote:I don't know if it would necessarily work in the game format's used by Agema but a game set at the moment of the sudden death of Alexander the Great would be awesome with players taking the roles of the generals of his army and having to discuss/fight amongst themselves to carve up his empire. I like game where the intrigue and rivalries begin before the first building turn has begun!

My own feeling on the best styles to game the events after the death of Alexander are:

1) The actual dinner party at which he dropped dead makes for a really good "Murder Mystery/Dinner Party"

While Alexander probably was not posioned it does remain a possibility that he was murdered and planty of people at the dinner party had motive. Pushing wives/girl friends to one side in favour of the daughter of a man who death you are responsible for and expecting them all to play happy families has got to be a high risk activity.

Plus we have various Persians & Greeks with possible motive.

2) The "Army Council" which then decided the Regency/settlement of Empire after the death of Alexander would seem to be a good basis for Live Role Play........when you get dragged outside and speared to death you know you have lost the debate.

3) Feel an Agema style postal game would work better a few years/decades after when the Empire has been split up......but some people may still want to unite it again. Plus it was allow the involvement of Parthians, Indians, The Greek League's, Rhodian Merchants/Slave Traders, Carthage, Galatians and various Barbarian Italian Hill Tribes.

Would be interesting to see if the "Macadonian's" co-operated in game against the "Barbarians" or viewed each other as rivals/the historic foe?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 pm

option 3 for me.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Basileus wrote:option 3 for me.

Wales must be running short of cooks who can prepare a fusion of Greek & Persian dishes, willing slave/flute girls, philosopers and the 50 pint wine bowls needed for option 1 drunken .......pity.

Option 2 probably seems too much like a real life Welsh Council/Rugby club meeting. 

PS Before anyone jumps on me for insulting the Welsh I would point out I am part Welsh and have played for Newport High School Old Boys. We never marched "rebel" factions out into the Car Park and speared them but I think it was a option at times.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:PS Before anyone jumps on me for insulting the Welsh I would point out I am part Welsh and have played for Newport High School Old Boys.  We never marched "rebel" factions out into the Car Park and speared them but I think it was a option at times.

Spent 3 years in Carmarthen...that was Friday night entertainment...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Jason wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:PS Before anyone jumps on me for insulting the Welsh I would point out I am part Welsh and have played for Newport High School Old Boys.  We never marched "rebel" factions out into the Car Park and speared them but I think it was a option at times.

Spent 3 years in Carmarthen...that was Friday night entertainment...

Well I have been told that Cardiff & Newport are not really part of Wales at all and have more in common with the other side of the Severn (ie Bristol, Bath, Gloucester) than the have with the "True" Wales in the wild, wild West (and North).
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

True Wales = Blaenau Ffestiniog in the rain, in December on a Wednesday afternoon. The TV programme Hinterland is very close - its like a modern day bleak Greek tragedy but spoken in Welsh.
    I have heard it described as the Welsh desert because there is nothing there, and there isnt.
    Powys - most sparcely populated county in England and Wales, where I live - 100,000 people/5,000,000 sheep.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm