A 20th Century Glory?

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1461
Registration date : 2008-08-27

A 20th Century Glory?

Post by Jason on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Was looking over the 'other games' posts a couple of weeks back, looking at some Richard used to run and saw mention of a sold-off WW1. It got me thinking (on the train journey down to work in Edinburgh) if a early 20th Century Glory-type game would work? Just as a hypothetical exercise to pass the time...and I came up with the following thoughts

Game starting in 1900...primarily so it is like original Glory, with the whole new century ahead...but it may be a tad early as some of the major technological developments that might be seen as essential to make the game interesting enough early on (say powered flight and dreadnought designs) aren't around yet...and it might really be so close to the technology currently in Scramble anyway!

Start in 1905. Thanks to the Wright Brothers, powered flight has happened, so opening up a whole area of research. Ok, at the start of the year historically there weren't Dreadnoughts but plans for them were well underway so a slight fudge could be Britain can build them (but hasn't started yet), the USA and Japan are researching the idea and for all other nations they are a technological breakthrough to be researched. In addition early armoured cars are around so if someone wants to try experimenting...

Start in 1910. Aircraft design and technology is already a bit further on, dreadnought designs are fairly accessible. Might there just be too much of a desire to fight WW1 a bit early though? South American players can repeat their own Dreadnought arms race.

Start in 1920. Technology has moved on quite a bit but still lots of potential for new developments and some emerging ones to play around with (aircraft carriers for one!) and no pesky Washington Treaty yet to obey. Whilst its a world just out of war, lots of potential for conflicts here there and everywhere...or for a new enlightened age of peace...maybe Germany might need to be allowed a bit more of a military than in reality? Nothing major but say army is allowed some armoured cars (but still no tanks nor heavy artillery), not so many naval restrictions (say age limits on ships removed) and a token air force (no heavy bombers or zeppelins), just to give the player a bit more room to develop. Lots of medical and scientific developments, a real brave new world.

Start in 1930. So much potential for earlier technological developments, beginnings of a few conflicts, Washington Treaty still in effect though to limit your naval plans (if you're a major player)...but possibly the danger of trying to have WW2 a bit early?

Some Glory positions are still there, as well as a number from Scramble, but (esp in a post WW1 game) a range of new ones in Central Europe. The British Empire could be interesting as it could be a team role with the Dominions as separate players-Canada (from 1900, though maybe include Newfoundland for ease of play), Australia (from 1905), New Zealand (from 1910...or possibly make it a joint Australia-New Zealand role), South Africa (from 1910). India too could be a separate player, say from 1920?

I'm not saying Richard ought to consider any of the above, just some thinking I had on a train and thought would share it.
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Re: A 20th Century Glory?

Post by revvaughan on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:47 pm

You have my interest peaked. While close in time period to the time covered by Scramble this would be far enough removed due to flight and several other improvements to make this a very interesting change. I would sign up ASAP.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks Smile Glad you found it of interest Smile

Been thinking a bit more

Such a game could start in 1900 if Dreadnoughts and aircraft are (long term) technological breakthroughs.

Possibly rather than having recruits as per Glory, using the Scramble idea of territory equaling a number of units would be better (would ensure militaries better reflected the national makeup of 20th C) .

Plenty of potential for nationalistic unprisings-for GB in Ireland and India; Poles rising up in Russia and Austria-Hungary...

Well, keeps me occupied on the train Wink
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Agreed... Dreadnoughts and flight would be already in development at this time (1900) and should first appear to the historical powers that developed it. This concept is valid only if we are following the same format as Scramble or using an actual map of the world.

If we use an actual map lets take the railroads and other transportation avenues that were available in 1900 and lock them in. This would take quite a bit of research, but the rewards would be AWESOME. The whole of the last century would be open before the players.

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm glad you like the idea Smile It kept me occupied...it was that or trying to log into work emails Very Happy
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 pm

...oddly been doing some research for work related stuff that brought up relevant info...

...I had never realised that electric trains, outside the London Underground, were being built in the late 1890s...now there would be a technological breakthrough development for nations to research.

...armoured cars were being built, at least as one-offs, in 1898 and 1899, so could be in an 1900 game...

...the first proper proposal for an aircraft carrier, as we'd imagine it, was in 1912 (by the same shipyard that finished the Argus in 1918, the first aircraft carrier)...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 am