Game10

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Game10

Post by jamesbond007 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Interesting to see a new Glory waiting list open up. Must admit to taking a position. Hope many others are getting involved?

Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1591
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Re: Game10

Post by Kingmaker on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:20 pm

hmmm play 2 games already not sure if I will

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Post by jamesbond007 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:24 pm

I can remember a time when you played in just about all the Glory games.
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1591

Post by Kingmaker on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 pm

lol ....

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:27 pm

*Shakes fist*

Damn you Richard...just when I think I play enough games Wink

And yes, have weakened...
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Same here.. Put my hat in the ring just a bit ago.

Bearlord
Lord
Lord

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by Bearlord on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 am

I'm in as well. Looks like a lot of the more popular states went very quickly.

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Post by jamesbond007 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:43 pm

When I enquired and booked in, only Spain and France had gone.Looks like the game is filling up quickly.
the great unwashed
Viscount
Viscount

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Fell for it as well and having just retired from one position, I thought i'd try something completely different.
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:37 pm

This should be a rather interesting game for sure and certain.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Moghul India Smile
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:44 am

I wish I had the time. I guess I'll have to stand by for game 11...

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:08 am

Basileus wrote:Moghul India Smile

What this game would seem to need is loads of Persians pouring over the Hindu Kush or an active Hindu risistance to the Moghul oppressors. Very Happy

Or even better both Very Happy Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:23 am

jamesbond007 wrote:When I enquired and booked in, only Spain and France had gone.Looks like the game is filling up quickly.

Ref Spain......... I still think the game is better if it is started with two Spanish Players..........a Hapsburg and a Bourbon.

Makes the starting diplomacy more interesting plus the Spanish Empire does not start unhistorically strong and united.

And finally the Spanish players can a) either co-operate to save the day or b) crush their hated rivals to crown the true King of Spain.

Bearlord
Lord
Lord

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by Bearlord on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Ref Spain......... I still think the game is better if it is started with two Spanish Players..........a Hapsburg and a Bourbon.

Makes the starting diplomacy more interesting plus the Spanish Empire does not start unhistorically strong and united.

And finally the Spanish players can a) either co-operate to save the day or b) crush their hated rivals to crown the true King of Spain.
Wasn't this tried in one or two earlier games at start? What happened then?
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:19 pm

I think many fail to understand how weak a position spain is to start, politically.

You're playing the regent, not the king.

I also think many players don't want to pick a position in a new game that gives them a coinflip for whether they get the position or not. You can be a great player, but if as in Game 8, the french don't engage, that would knock one position out through no fault of their own.

If the two players cooperate, then either they cut the empire in half, or two, one gets the position, and the other player gets a quick walk to the door.
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Thank you Stuart for encouraging resistance to Moghul rule. But the idea of someone to fight was one of the main reasons why I decided to go for that one. I thought it might be one with fighting from the off!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Basileus wrote:Thank you Stuart for encouraging resistance to Moghul rule. But the idea of someone to fight was one of the main reasons why I decided to go for that one. I thought it might be one with fighting from the off!

Only if you go on the offensive and even then you stand a good chance of NPC opponents.

For you want to fight from early on have you considered running the Jacobites? Or perhaps Rumelia on the only good Venetian is a dead Venetian approach rather than the milk and puff pastry types we have had in some recent games.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:42 am

Deacon wrote:I think many fail to understand how weak a position spain is to start, politically.

You're playing the regent, not the king.

I also think many players don't want to pick a position in a new game that gives them a coinflip for whether they get the position or not. You can be a great player, but if as in Game 8, the french don't engage, that would knock one position out through no fault of their own.

If the two players cooperate, then either they cut the empire in half, or two, one gets the position, and the other player gets a quick walk to the door.

I dont think that playing playing the King, Queen, Doge, Prime Minister, Grand Vizier or Regent makes much difference to how the game is played.

Agree that not having the support of France may be a major problem for the Spanish Bourbon and lack of Austrian Support for the Spanish Hapsburg esp if the other faction is getting full support but the same can be said about a lot of positions which need allied support and as the Phillip of Anjou player in G2 proved even this problem can be overcome - in his case with huge amounts of violence and a degree of luck.

I think what having two Spanish factions or more does is bring out the complex political situation Spain faced in 1700 and increase the chance of a proper in game WSS.

Even if game after game has seen a shocking failure by French players to stand up for the Bourbon Claim. Hopefully this one will be different and the Lilly Banners will fly!

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Post by jamesbond007 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 pm

With regard to the Moghul position. It is a very strong one in India. But you start off with spears and bows and arrows. No flintlocks or war ships. Also the Maharattas position is also a strong one. But certainly scope for early warfare and gains. Which will make for a different and welcome change to most Glory games.
Ardagor
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 351

Post by Ardagor on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:26 pm

The Moghul Empire start with active tribal infantry armed with matchlocks and a lot of inactive with spears. Never seen a bow. Also a powerful force of lance armed Horse and a huge amount of skirmish cavalry with a few standard artillery batteries available. Several 100,000 if everything is mobilized.

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Post by jamesbond007 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Yes forgot about the Matchlocks. Although they are no better than the spears. If it rains hard. The spears are better in fact. Never played the Maharattas, but I am guessing they are strong. Has anyone played the Maharattas ?
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Post by Basileus on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Its an interesting point - do I modernise and bring in sepoys 50 years before I believe they start to appear in Indian armies or do I stick to elephants, matchlocks and spears.
Similar to the type of questions you face as Russia, but there the modernisation was in line with historical fact.
Moghul cavalry seems to be ok, but the infantry terrible. I suppose it also depends on who you are fighting - Mharratans and other Indian states/rebels, Persia who later stomped on the Moghuls, Burma, tribes like the Uzbecs or even an advancing Russia, not to mention France/England and the other colonial powers?

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Post by jamesbond007 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:56 pm

I think most of the cavalry you start off with is only light cavalry. But, it's a strong position for the locality. You can certainly put it about early on.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Basileus wrote:Its an interesting point - do I modernise and bring in sepoys 50 years before I believe they start to appear in Indian armies or do I stick to elephants, matchlocks and spears.
Similar to the type of questions you face as Russia, but there the modernisation was in line with historical fact.
Moghul cavalry seems to be ok, but the infantry terrible. I suppose it also depends on who you are fighting - Mharratans and other Indian states/rebels, Persia who later stomped on the Moghuls, Burma, tribes like the Uzbecs or even an advancing Russia, not to mention France/England and the other colonial powers?

While it covers a lot from much later period's Agema do an interesting little booklet on Indian Warfare.........with emphasis on the flashy stuff beloved of Moghul & other Indian Princes ie Elephants, really big Guns, Camel mounted artillery, rockets, fanatics and winning via TREACHERY and under hand tactics.

In game terms the Moghul Army in 1700 can probably be viewed as a provincial Ottoman (Syria or Egypt)......a core of good "noble" but rather wild cavalry with loads of added rubbish and oddities added on. But unlike poor long suffering Ottomans most of the likely opponents are not much different.

Due to their internal problems the Moghuls and the Jajputs never really changed but various Mharratans did try some interesting developments during the 18 century inc:

- Importing European Infantry Instructors to develop regular European style Foot.
- Getting rid of the rubbish and in Mharrata terms "getting back to basics" ie hard riding, disciplined, mountain men using hit and run tactics to tie lumbering and infantry based forces in knots.

My view is that the best Army seen in this area is the Persian an interesting mix of European Trained Foot/Artillery, Nomadic Light Horse, Some rough country Tribal foot & Skirmishers (mostly Afghans) and the Quizilbashe heavy cavalry. Which I feel offers a good template for other Indian Armies.

But what do you then do with a load of retired War Elephants & War Camels?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 pm