Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Game 10 - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:42 am

I decided to start with just the two wives. My character's in the process of getting the first one pregnant - I only hope she's not barren, or him sterile, as I've decided to see the job through with the first, before bed-hopping to the second. The heir wars will no doubt come later...

I'll try a few more things that I've picked up from reading African fiction and non-fiction, before conceding defeat. If needed, I'll have to ask for advice from the chiefs on how to look good. Or there's the chief spirit medium (read witch doctor).

The Zulus liked to wrestle a bull, and break it's neck, to show masculine prowess. Unsurprisingly, this special occasion 'sport' carried a high chance of injury or death. Maybe I won't suggest my character try it
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:03 am

Maybe try a Bira ceremony. Google says it is an all night affair to talk to your ancestors for advice. Throw a feast with it then do what the ancestors tell you to. Your people should like that!

And you need a LOT more wives  Very Happy
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you for that, Deacon. Very much appreciated.

There's a few ethnic groups to choose from when I look at the lands making up the Rozwi Empire. I reckon there's these modern people covered by the boundaries of the state. Shona. Northern Ndebele (Matabele). Zulu. Nguni. Swazi. Tsonga (Shangaan). Possibly Tswana. Obviously I can mix and match where needed, as nothing is really set in stone since we're altering history where needed.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:50 am

When I started game 8, my wife was playing Burma. She got great Honour results by listening to whatever crazy stuff her court astrologer told her and doing it. I was dubious, but from an homour standpoint it worked!

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:53 pm

A successful war or two might be good from an honour perspective. Sometimes we forget the obvious stuff - this is a wargame called Glory of Kings. I suspect that is the reason sometimes why people drop the game because they dont get involved in wars. If you are involved in a war every now and then the game is much more fun. In game 7 I haven't had to cast around for a war, it became obvious fairly soon after a few years that war was inevitable with France and then the war carried on by proxy with Jacobite England. In game 9, I admit I am looking for a war, which seems to annoy a number of other players; and in this one, game 10 I am waiting to see what will happen. But I think the game will be more fun for other players if the French armies go on the march
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Yes, but this is game 10. They're only a few months in. A little early to start wars.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:49 am

Deacon wrote:
    Yes, but this is game 10. They're only a few months in. A little early to start wars.

Several months in to G10......surely the Great Northern War & the War of the Spanish succession are over due to start?

Historic start dates for conflicts aside if you are planning a War of aggression against a active position their is logic in starting early.

a) Taking time gives your troops time to drill etc.......but the defender gets time to improve fortifications, raise extra fortress cannon etc, as well as drill so on balance the longer you wait the tougher its going to get. Esp since force sizes in Glory tend to inflate over time.

b) Another factor is recruit numbers...........if your likely opponent gets more recruits than you do then any delay is going to benefit them more than you. Using this logic Sweden wants to start the GNW and hit Russia hard and early if its too have a chance.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:42 pm

If memory serves me correct, the first bit of bloodshed was down in the Southern hemisphere ... a Madagascan chieftain killing a Portuguese trader and then parading himself around in the deceased clothing (or was it skin?). No war, yet, but Portugal is looking into the matter from what is to be read in the newspaper.

As to going to war. I've never been sure what the rules book means when it says to wait a game turn or two, before declaring war (at the games start - January 1700 - or, when a new player comes in mid-game and isn't already at war). Does it mean a couple of months? Or years? before going to war.

As to my own position. Yes, I believe its ideal to try my hand at land warfare. Rozwi has three or four neighbouring African countries that will allow for wars to be tried in-game. I obviously haven't started fighting yet, but I do wish to give warfare ago in the future as its a game aspect I've not experienced yet. [Note: African countries being native kingdoms - Blacks versus Blacks, for want of a better term. Spears against spears (and javelins and bows). Me against a non-player controlled country.]
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:11 pm

It will probably be a good idea to spend some time drilling the army before sending it into battle, introducing some Army regulations would also help. Something reasonable and simple that will be useful in a fight, that the army is capable of doing. Test in excercise before going to war.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks Ardagor.

Yes, after reading (possibly by yourself) the same advice elsewhere on this forum that is, in-fact, what I've done.

Putting battalions into regimental units, and assigning named commanders to each.
    Drilling.
    Army Regulations.
    Looking into shield and spear improvements.

After the drilling is complete I'll hold a field day for the army to put into practice the training they've completed, which will hopefully allow me to see any problems that need attention.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Game 10 checklist for the Rozwi Empire
    Figured out how to increase my Honour Score - FAIL

Well, I must have done something right last turn as my honour score has jumped two places upward. I only wish I knew what I did to make it do so Laughing

It could have been one of several things, I reckon.
    * Continued good role-playing?
    * Multiple entries in the Newspaper this month?
    * Repaying the treasury for the upkeep on my character's extended crib?
    * Luck?
    * Free grub dished up to the nation's chiefs?

I think it was the 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' elephant
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:
    Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Game 10 checklist for the Rozwi Empire
    Figured out how to increase my Honour Score - FAIL

Well, I must have done something right last turn as my honour score has jumped two places upward. I only wish I knew what I did to make it do so Laughing

It could have been one of several things, I reckon.
    * Continued good role-playing?
    * Multiple entries in the Newspaper this month?
    * Repaying the treasury for the upkeep on my character's extended crib?
    * Luck?
    * Free grub dished up to the nation's chiefs?

I think it was the 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' elephant

I'd guess good RP, paper entries, and bribing your chiefs with free food.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 am

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Thanks Ardagor.

Yes, after reading (possibly by yourself) the same advice elsewhere on this forum that is, in-fact, what I've done.

Putting battalions into regimental units, and assigning named commanders to each.
    Drilling.
    Army Regulations.
    Looking into shield and spear improvements.

After the drilling is complete I'll hold a field day for the army to put into practice the training they've completed, which will hopefully allow me to see any problems that need attention.

If you look at the forces of Madagascar and the East Coast States and the forces which fought the "Slave" wars in West Africa they often included Sailors/Adventurers from Europe, The Ottoman Empire and even India who provided artillery and troops armed with fire arms.

Characters like James Plantain, the Scot James Adair & the Dane Hans Burgen are good examples of the kind of dodgy merc's you can hire.

Small in number compared to the Tribal Armies but you can probably convert a frigate or even a merchant crew into a couple of artillery units using Naval Guns remounted and pulled by men or Oxen. Which can blow a nice big hole in hostile stockades or disorder your foe's spearmen before you send your own Spearmen in.

Not so sure about deep mines and getting gold from gold ore but you can collect gold from rivers in East Africa using traditional methods and with gold you can attract "White Slaves and Cannon" to your service.

White Slaves, Cannon, Many Wives and Lion Hunting would seem to be the way to go. Just under no circumstances allow Richard to take your gold and hire you off white slaves with heron feathers in their hats called Jannissaries! These are very bad men and real trouble unless you fancy conversion to Islam and ordering a Holy War which would really annoy the Portugese but would allow you to send begging letters to the Ottomans, Shah of Persia and the Great Moghul.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:12 pm

So the latest turn...and anti-Scotch racism in a 'broadsheet'...you know if they're not careful I think someone is going to find an English bayonet in their stomach and a claymore going where the sun don't shine.. Game 10 - Page 4 2962972013
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Does seem we have something of a trouble maker in the midst of Merry Ole' England. I do believe that the root cause shall be sorted out soon enough.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 am

Sad  ... I'm having to wait for the post to bring mine. I'm looking forward to seeing what's happened this month - it can't be worse than my own investigatory work for the Rozwi

Me wrote:"Oh, Lake Kariba. That should provide some revenue resources."
    I go away and plot out some bits and pieces for the lake.
    "Lets get some more info from Wikipedia on Lake Kariba"
    "Now what does it say... 'Man-Made Lake. 1960s'."
    "Bugger!"

But fear not, for I have a cunning plan [which is probably outside the Rozwi's technological capabilities Laughing ]
    Verming2
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2016-01-18

Post by Verming2 Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Hello all

This being my first game of GDLR I am trying to get some feeling for how many active players there are out there, from the dozens of starting positions on offer....do all active players tend to appear in the newspaper or is it quite possible to beaver away quietly without gaining a mention?

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Hello Verming2  Smile

Verming2 wrote:
    from the dozens of starting positions on offer....do all active players tend to appear in the newspaper or is it quite possible to beaver away quietly without gaining a mention?

I'd say its possible to play without getting a mention in the newspaper, should a player wish. It would probably be counter productive though, as doing something that gets mentioned in the paper is a way to receive honour boosts - But if a player wishes not to have any contact with anyone and make it look like the country isn't player controlled it could be possible. Especially if Agema has to write up a few pieces concerning countries reacting to player controlled countries diplomatic actions.

Or, some positions lend themselves to more newspaper coverage than others. France and England are both major positions so will probably feature in every newspaper. But Rozwi, the small African country, doesn't offer much that is worth reporting in the news.

Each turn I'm doing quite a bit of work, but I've only been mentioned in two newspapers directly, and once, in passing, in the June 1700 paper.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Very possible to not get noticed, but a fair number of players try to get noticed in the paper. It helps fuel honour gain, and honour is a valuable 'asset' to have.

In game 8, France was completely incommunicado for the first 5 years. It was extremely odd! They've since burst back onto the scene in a big way.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:42 am

France is indeed back and accounted for. I think it will make Game VIII quite interesting!
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 617
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:27 am

Surely not. Can it be that England's most ardent player has turned colours.?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Hello Verming2  Smile

Verming2 wrote:
    from the dozens of starting positions on offer....do all active players tend to appear in the newspaper or is it quite possible to beaver away quietly without gaining a mention?

I'd say its possible to play without getting a mention in the newspaper, should a player wish. It would probably be counter productive though, as doing something that gets mentioned in the paper is a way to receive honour boosts - But if a player wishes not to have any contact with anyone and make it look like the country isn't player controlled it could be possible. Especially if Agema has to write up a few pieces concerning countries reacting to player controlled countries diplomatic actions.

Or, some positions lend themselves to more newspaper coverage than others. France and England are both major positions so will probably feature in every newspaper. But Rozwi, the small African country, doesn't offer much that is worth reporting in the news.

Each turn I'm doing quite a bit of work, but I've only been mentioned in two newspapers directly, and once, in passing, in the June 1700 paper.

Often find the same, do a lot in turns that doesn't get mentioned in the paper and then it's the oddest minor things I do that get a paragraph
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:24 am

I find that "social" events for the nobility, shouting at diplomatic envoys and acts of violence always get a mention in the paper.

But if you want people to read about progress with trade, R & D or your many acts to improve the country you have to write it up your self and send it in to the paper.

Not sure if an active propaganda campaign or pretending to be a NPC is the safer option but never sending letters and avoiding diplomacy with other powers and trying to go below the radar is generally boring and means you miss out on chances to gain allies and favours from other powers.

Very few players will not respond in a favourable manner to a friendly letter but more than a few view failure to send them a letter as a borderline hostile act and proof that you are plotting against them.......Paranoa being a fairly common condition in this game insult.

The only time showing yourself as active can be dangerous is if you are running a position which has a long running conflict and other powers will assume your are a threat as soon as the position is seen to be active. Positions like Blackbeard, the Jacobites and any Doge of Venice who enters the game calling himself the "Hammer of the Turks" can probably expect instant hosility from some powers.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:26 am

Indeed not... I sit across the Channel and watch my neighbour!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 am

Jason wrote:
    Rozwi_Game10 wrote:

Often find the same, do a lot in turns that doesn't get mentioned in the paper and then it's the oddest minor things I do that get a paragraph
    Stuart Bailey wrote:
    I find that "social" events for the nobility, shouting at diplomatic envoys and acts of violence always get a mention in the paper.

But if you want people to read about progress with trade, R & D or your many acts to improve the country you have to write it up your self and send it in to the paper.

Yes, with Rozwi, the major story that was featured was written by myself (with Richard just tweaking a line to read better). My other diplomatic dealings with Mozambique were written by AGEMA, but based on my searching for the regional seat of power, and then waiting for a response from a letter. The only newspaper article that's features, so far, that I wasn't expecting was a meeting of chiefs and asking about whether our spears were for throwing or thrusting.

In truth, I don't expect much in the way of newspaper coverage for my game position. AGEMA's obviously taken steps to ensure myself and Portugal have some in-game activity in the south of Africa [the Madagascan Incident] to keep it from being boring, so we'll wait and see what happens.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm