Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Game 10 - Page 38 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Portugal is actively played, and sends/replies to letters. The King lives in Lisbon. The East Africa Governor lives in Mozambique City. The names and titles are as follows: (they're both available via the newspaper, so I'm not giving away sensitive information)

Portugal:
    His Most Faithful Majesty, King Pedro II of Portugal

Portuguese East Africa:
    Governor-General of Mozambique, Alfonso Da Costa

Both the above are played by the same player, you'll probably want to speak direct to Lisbon anyway (Rozwi doesn't know where Lisbon is, so we send a chap to walk to Mozambique).

Rozwi has had dealings with the Zanzibar governor in Game 10, who had to send a message to his boss at Oman. The Omanis are not actively played, at this time, so any letter sent to them won't be replied to (at least I've never had a NPC country reply to a letter).

It doesn't look like Egypt is being played.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Okay my actions will be to build hospitals and sewers in my three main cities healthy people are important and might help the birth rate they are to help all citizens.

Building a Coffee House.

Trading in Coffee hoping when the Coffee House is done it will boost trade income.

Prospecting paid for by my leader.

Building an Army Camp.

Building an Agricultural Academy and a second Research Academy and will man them up to get working on improving agricultural outputs and quality in the nation as long term commitments.

Grand Bazaar in the capital.

Contacting Portugal with a Letter and a Gift from my Leader whose paying for it to another mighty Leader.

Trade.

Might contact Rozwi but they are dirty pagans, okay maybe not dirty. Wink

Yes I might need a Fortress, Granaries, more forces and schools but well need to stick to the basics and if the people see wise use of their tax money and the Emperor pays for some things himself it should be good for in nation general moral and support I am hoping.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Sent in my first turn, no reason to not do so besides contacting Portugal I did my common sense actions if I get better income next month I might besides a diplomatic delegation to Portugal, I want an European region presence to trade in Europe.

I hope my Prospectors find things, crossed fingers, but have agricultural plans in place that is a good starting in coffee, oil seed oil and sugar I'm starting with.

And I want to eventually develop elephants with cannons or mortars on them they can ram enemy lines and fire mortar shells or cannons off their backs mwhhahahaha.
    (just kidding)
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:06 pm

England is active under Lord Godolphin as his Most Britannic Majesty's Prime Minister.

Look forward to the letters.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 pm

tkolter wrote: if I get better income next month I might ....

Just to confirm, you realize that income happens only once a year in glory, right? You get your tax and trade revenues and report with your December results.

For a start up, you get that with your first turn as well so you know where you are/were, but you only get that income once a year with December results.

All your investments and your economic work will show up on that. So with any luck, it will be notably up year on year.

Since it is so late in the game year, investments now aren't likely to have a huge impact on the December results (they accumulate over the year)

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:29 pm

Good to know I have to contact them to reduce issues their interests in Africa is impressive.

Anyone know if any Lutheran nations are active such as Sweden as one example?

I didn't know that I know expenses are covered for public works in April, but can work on practical improvements, for example sewers means cleaner cities and water reserves and hospitals helping everyone can boost general health this with Agricultural commitments for the harvest planting in October of 2019 should seriously start kicking in. So will need to be careful with further spending keeping my treasury with a suitable amount of money.

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Improvements and other items of construction and be undertaken at any time. There are some things that might help the economy that will take some time to draw, but the sooner they are in place the better.

Investments are generally made in the first month or so of the year so they have a chance to take root.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Well foot in the door isn't bad say I do get lucky and fine gold in my country and get an embassy in Portugal you know I can sell that even a few months could be impressive income, its one of those resources easy to market. Gems are also good but not as good. And cash crops. For now if I get a reasonable modest return on my initial investments its a good thing though. I treated my first investments as speculative or long term year plus some to benefit fully.

I would love to find phosphorous its a perfect natural fertilizer adding in dung and such it will likely be the best boost for crops in October however its a case of having to find it then have an effort to gather it and get it to farmers and used hiring some foreign experts.

I can think of lots of options based on what we might find and if we find nothing have plans for that to.

I did adjust taxes a little but didn't go crazy.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:17 pm

If you are going to do a lot of mining you might like to look at "mining improvements"........this is one area where you have a major advantage over the Pagans to the South. I think your miners already have metal pickaxes and spades.
    Thelittleemperor
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2017-01-28

Post by Thelittleemperor Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:48 am

If you do get lucky and find gold ...don't worry ... You will have a European interest ..It'll be getting rid of them that ll be the toughest ..
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Its possible that gold ore can be found inside Game 10 Abyssinia's borders, when you do some Google investigating and try and compare the real-life map with the Agema Game 10 map.  But it looks like, to me, that the evidence would suggest the largest concentration of gold ore would be found in Game 10's country of Kikuyu, to the South of Abyssinia.

If the GM does provide Abyssinia with a gold deposit, I'd keep it a secret as best you can. Spies and covert agents might just appear and divert some of your revenue to other country's trade revenues (as in smuggling, robbing, skimming money off the top / false book keeping).
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm far more likely to find gems, marble (that literally all over the place) and phosphorous a vital powder for farming and a fine trade product so well anything like that is a good thing to find. And we have cash crops and grain both of which will luck my plans will aid in boosting at many levels.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Not sure your gaming style, but I will say that, in general, it isn't that hard for small position to conquer other small positions.

So I'd think seriously about your expansion plans and start laying the groundwork for that.

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 am

Well I want to avoid war, not saying won't have sound defenses and be tough for its size but without a good economy and healthy people other plans seem to not be practical.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:40 am

Take whatever approach you will enjoy.

But, the fastest way to double your economy as a small nation is to conquer another one.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Just a small word of warning just because real world maps indicate mineral resources isn't an automatic that you will get them, I think each prospecting party has a chance of success, but alos a chance of failure, all to do with the die roll at Agema.

Be careful if you do decide to take over a small neighbour, there may well be some resentment, relegious tensions that sort of thing, so that yes you may increase your economy & income, but end up investing more in internal security & military units to keep the mobs down. It is all a question of who , where & when & how you treat them afterwards.

Which ever course you tak eI wish you every success & happy gaming.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Nothing is trivial in this game. Yes, you'll have to do reasonable things to successfully invade a neighbor. But that's true of pretty much everything in the game.

Jason is right as well that just because you historically had some mineral doesn't mean it's guaranteed you'll find it.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 pm

J Flower wrote:Just a small word of warning just because real world maps indicate mineral resources isn't an automatic that you will get them, I think each prospecting party has a chance of success, but alos a chance of failure, all to do with the die roll at Agema.

Be careful if you do decide to take over a small neighbour, there may well be some resentment, relegious tensions that sort of thing, so that yes you may increase your economy & income, but end up investing more in internal security & military units to keep the mobs down. It is all a question of who , where & when & how you treat them afterwards.

Which ever course you tak eI wish you every success & happy gaming.

I'll be declaring my Empire NEUTRAL as in an armed status of neutrality at some point and have no plans to use the army unless its to defend the Empire, the lawful subjects of the Empire or its religious faith preferably with two of these in place or all three to make the use of armed forces just under the auspices of God.

As for minerals and such there are many in the real world gold isn't the most important phosphorous for example is far more valuable in use for farming outputs of all kinds and highly tradable, so would salt (spice and preservative) and others anything I find will be of value to me for some use domestic and trade. And most would not be worth invading over.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 am

I'll be declaring my Empire NEUTRAL as in an armed status of neutrality at some point and have no plans to use the army unless its to defend the Empire, the lawful subjects of the Empire or its religious faith preferably with two of these in place or all three to make the use of armed forces just under the auspices of God.

As for minerals and such there are many in the real world gold isn't the most important phosphorous for example is far more valuable in use for farming outputs of all kinds and highly tradable, so would salt (spice and preservative) and others anything I find will be of value to me for some use domestic and trade. And most would not be worth invading over. [/quote]

I am not sure if it will apply in this game but I think the tribes who make up your empire tended to be a bit war like and Emperors who did not keep them busy tended to viewed as wimps and spent send a lot of time either dealing with revolts and bandits or being overthrown by their rivals.

The only other player to take your position avoided finding out if this was the case or not by starting a Holy War against none Christains.
    Oddly, no one local seemed to that bothered at being offered the option of conversion or the sword and he was very popular in his enlarged empire.

Think the high point of his Holy Wars came when the Bey of Egypt lead a Army to recover Ottoman Ports on the Red Sea and got driven back into the Sea and captured. This was back in the day when if your Character was captured you were on limited orders and if he was killed it reduced your honour score by 50%.

So with the Emperor threatening to cover the Bey in Honey and stake him out over a nest of fire ants the Egyptains paid a large ransom and ceded the Red Sea ports. While the Emperor said he would stop raiding Muslim Pilgrim ships and the port of Mecca and keep his Holy Wars local (It was that or face the Ottoman Sultan).

These events made the Emperor a big Christian Hero and I do not think inter Ottoman relations ever got over the Bey of Egypt getting back to Alexandria and a gift of "Bee Keeping for beginners" from Athens.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 am

Oh did I mention the blood spilt in the Abyssinian-Adal War will be repaid the Abyssinian Empire using biblical arguments will claim the lands of Somali and Adal as provinces of he Empire held by squatters and bandits which will be cleared off OUR land as the one exception since its our land and Islam is a banned public faith they will eliminate them as a threat. I'll just announce these lands are part of the Empire by default and order them to submit - or else - later on.

So they won't be expanding into other nations these aren't nations they owe a blood debt to Abyssinian and Portuguese alike there ancestors doomed them to cease to be its just do they go quietly or not. Twisted Evil

I won't go to war without a proper reason this is one which is really an internal matter under the position of the blood debt so am just eliminated the rogue elements now claiming lrge parts of the Empire.

Anyway I need to focus the Empire to some holy purpose to bring it together into one under the wise Emperor.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 pm

As well as being on a mission from God to reclaim lost lands from Islamic bandits.

The other key mission for the Emperor is sort out and get the pagans to use his correct titles.

Already have a character who is Grand Admiral of Siam wonder if you have to be Portugese to be made Grand Admiral of the Conquering Lion of Judah?

Do people think anyone would notice the odd Treasure Ship of the Grand Mogul going missing on the way to Mecca?  Could always blame that Avery chap Very Happy

Last edited by Stuart Bailey on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:As well as being on a mission from God to reclaim lost lands from Islamic bandits

I now have a 18th C version of "Blues Brothers" playing in my head....
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Jason wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:As well as being on a mission from God to reclaim lost lands from Islamic bandits

I now have a 18th C version of "Blues Brothers" playing in my head....

What about a Rasta Version? After all who did they worship?
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm

There's a new leader atop the Honour Table, and it isn't Changamire DomboGame 10 - Page 38 86059191-crying-yellow-emoji-with-tears-and-mouth-open-vector

Also, much happenings around the place - except Rozwi. Quiet month in our neck of the woods.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Apparently snicking the head off a rebel and taking all of his stuff, I mean taking BACK all of his stuff, can negatively impact your honour.

Who knew? (or cared, cause, you know, Stuff!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm