Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications


Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Share
avatar
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Age : 56
Location : Wales/Cornwall
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Basileus on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:58 am

I think geese were sacrificed more for divination, reading their entrails which the romans picked up from the Etruscans as a form of divination. Bulls were the prestigous thing to sacrifice, northern and eastern Europeans went in for sacrficing horses.
Emperor Caligula made his favourite horse a senator. Which rather than being a sign of madness I thought was just a powerful insult to the other senators.
Gladatior/slave/social revolts seemed to have calmed down more by this time but national revolts were still taking place - Iceni, Germany, Judea etc.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 am

J Flower wrote:Can I officially burn Rome down in this Game?

Officially you can only burn down Rome if you are playing:

a) Revolting slaves
b) Parthians
c) Germans

Unofficially burning may result from

d) Dodgy Senatorial property developers looking to by up cheap fire damaged properties.
e) Loony Emperor aiming to improve his view & blame the Christians.
f) Fine upstanding Commander of the German or Danube Legions having enough of dodgy Emperor's & Senatorial property developers and getting on "Republican on their arse" ......and their Golden House as well........pity the wind changed direction.

Personally I see Jason as F


Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
J Flower wrote:Can I officially burn Rome down in this Game?

Officially you can only burn down Rome if you are playing:

a) Revolting slaves
b) Parthians
c) Germans

Unofficially burning may result from

d) Dodgy Senatorial property developers looking to by up cheap fire damaged properties.
e) Loony Emperor aiming to improve his view & blame the Christians.
f) Fine upstanding Commander of the German or Danube Legions having enough of dodgy Emperor's & Senatorial property developers and getting on "Republican on their arse" ......and their Golden House as well........pity the wind changed direction.

Personally I see Jason as F


Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun May 01, 2016 9:41 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
Stuart Bailey wrote:
J Flower wrote:Can I officially burn Rome down in this Game?

Officially you can only burn down Rome if you are playing:

a) Revolting slaves
b) Parthians
c) Germans

Unofficially burning may result from

d) Dodgy Senatorial property developers looking to by up cheap fire damaged properties.
e) Loony Emperor aiming to improve his view & blame the Christians.
f) Fine upstanding Commander of the German or Danube Legions having enough of dodgy Emperor's & Senatorial property developers and getting on "Republican on their arse" ......and their Golden House as well........pity the wind changed direction.

Personally I see Jason as F



Seems we have a volunteer for c) The Germans.............a weird German Priest who claims to come from the Gods/future and wants to unite the Tribes.

Surely this must generate a "Hero" who wants to save Rome from this Germanic nutter? Before his mad speaches about Blood, Iron & Germanic Unity causes real trouble. Perhaps a fine upstanding Legionary Commander from the new Britannic Province (nice little Villa near Derby)

avatar
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1591
Age : 60
Location : Scarborough Jewel of the East Coast
Reputation : 24
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Kingmaker on Sun May 01, 2016 11:10 am

Sounds like am early von der Decken is needed.....


_________________
Lt Colonel, Commander of the Tsars Personal Bodyguard


Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Any news on Roman Game?
avatar
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Age : 56
Location : Wales/Cornwall
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Basileus on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 am

Richard had previously said to me, and I am sure he doesn't mind me copying it here - The Rome game is still in development, and theres a great deal to finalise so no certainty as to the launch date. The intention at least currently is to have the game begin with a Roman civil war but with plenty of barbarian invasions, resulting in a Roman Empire (or two) and other states on hand so it will then resemble Glory of Kings in order to give some longevity to the game after the initial civil war.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 am

Basileus wrote:Richard had previously said to me, and I am sure he doesn't mind me copying it here - The Rome game is still in development, and theres a great deal to finalise so no certainty as to the launch date. The intention at least currently is to have the game begin with a Roman civil war but with plenty of barbarian invasions, resulting in a Roman Empire (or two) and other states on hand so it will then resemble Glory of Kings in order to give some longevity to the game after the initial civil war.

Good start for a game may be 392 with Eugenius taking power in Rome as the last Pagan Emperor........and triggering a civil war with the Eastern Christain Emperor in Constantinople.

Oddly up to this point the Western Army had been better than the Army of the Eastern Empirers which had suffered defeats at the hands of the Persians & the Goths at Adrianople. But at the two day battle of Frigidus in 394.......& with a bit of help from a divine wind plus Alaric and a Army of Visigoths......the Western Army suffers a defeat from which it never really recovers.

Think this is a interesting point since:

1) There is still a balance between East & West.

2) There is still a balance between Catholic Christains, Aryan Christians & Pagans.

3) "Barbarians" like the Goths, Franks, etc have settled in the Empire & some are raiding it but for many Barbarian leaders like Alaric the objective is not to destroy the Empire & set up Kingdoms on its territory but rather to get High Military Command's in the Empire and good settlements for their men. In this respect commanders like Stilicho & Alaric are not that different to Roman Generals in the later Republic.

4) The Roman Army with its organization, 800 year traditions, bath houses & pension clubs etc is in crisis but it still exists and can in theory be restored to its old standards.............or due to immediate needs players may find it cheaper to hire big units of Barabarian Troops under own Chiefs?

5) Rome is no longer the unrivaled super power. Much as some senators may wish to wipe out smelly barbarians with the Huns to the North, Persians to the East & a civil war to fight for God (or the Gods) they may represent a vital source of Military Manpower.
avatar
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Age : 56
Location : Wales/Cornwall
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Basileus on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:00 pm

I would love 394 AD but I think it is going to be 60AD if my previous calculations on the time were correct.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Basileus wrote:I would love 394 AD but I think it is going to be 60AD if my previous calculations on the time were correct.

Embarassed My error forgot earlier confirmation.

jamesbond007
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 392
Age : 47
Location : Norwich
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by jamesbond007 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm

If it is based on lgdr but I different time. Then I think it will be great and breath fresh air into lgdr. Looking forward to giving it a go.
avatar
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Age : 47
Location : Gourdon, Aberdeenshire
Reputation : 16
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Jason on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Sure I've said it before...but never been a big fan of the Glory that was Men in Bedsheets Wink

But 60 AD could be fun, esp if Boudica is revolting, the Parthian War is raging...

I'm not great on the history of Nero, when did he go from being 'ok' to 'nutter'?
avatar
Basileus
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 396
Age : 56
Location : Wales/Cornwall
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-01

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Basileus on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Probably Nero's biggest problem in reputation was that he was one of the first emperors to persecute christians - he who writes the histories and all that. The old BBC episodes of I Claudius wouldnt be a bad introduction to the period and politics of Rome. On the Total War Center there is a new free game starting up where you role play being a senator which again could be an introduction, but it is based on 80 BC Social Wars and the games tend to suddenly stop just when you are getting into them.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am

Basileus wrote:Probably Nero's biggest problem in reputation was that he was one of the first emperors to persecute christians - he who writes the histories and all that. The old BBC episodes of I Claudius wouldnt be a bad introduction to the period and politics ssof Rome. On the Total War Center there is a new free game starting up where you role play being a senator which again could be an introduction, but it is based on 80 BC Social Wars and the games tend to suddenly stop just when you are getting into them.


I always liked the board game "Republic of Rome" in which players took factions in the Senate.

In theory faction could win but most of the time players were too busy trying to avoid total defeat for everyone and getting lynched the mob to worry about winning.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1101
Age : 54
Location : Somewhere East of Bristol & West of Bath
Reputation : 31
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm


Any news ref "The Glory of men in bedsheets"? as one of the Jason's has called the latest Ancient period game?

If the Parthians win do we have to start calling is "The Glory of men in silk pajamas" ???????

Sponsored content

Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 am