Trade Investments - Financial Returns - Not Going Bankrupt

Rozwi_Game10
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Trade Investments - Financial Returns - Not Going Bankrupt

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 am

Game 10 has just played out the May 1700 game turn and I was looking over my own position.

Rozwi (an African Tribal Kingdom) started with a number of trade investments already in place and generating income, but so far I have only made one additional trade investment and this was only after I looked into the (games) local economy/geographic resources/(real life) historic data. I've kept my spending, so far, within budget (based upon what income I will receive, using the data from the year before as a rough guide) so I am reluctant to make further investments until the next game year.

I, also, have failed to send out any Trade Missions, nor set any up in my own territories. This decision is based on me wanting to judge my year 1700 trade returns (with no real trade investment/trade mission spending) against the, future, year 1701 trade returns (which will, at least, see me opening trade missions).

I write this, though not giving out any sensitive information, with a view that it may help the novice (myself included) player with the tricky subject of Trade and Financial decisions in the game. How many of us, in the past, have made a hash of things and bankrupted a state due to poor decisions? (I have!)

Can I ask the other players on the forum;

How many trade investments (be they new, or the supplementing of an existing) have you made within the first year of your involvement in a game?

Do you , generally, go mad and splash the cash?

Or, like I have explained above, do you approach Trade slow and work in a considered and calculated manner?

I'd love to read anyone else's thoughts on the the subject. So cheers for any responses.
[though don't give out any of your game secrets! there may be spies reading who will sabotage your trade]

I wish you happy trade returns and that you don't go bankrupt! lol!
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Re: Trade Investments - Financial Returns - Not Going Bankrupt

Post by Jason on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:59 pm

For me, the answers are...it depends Smile

If I'm playing a major power that has good finances and recruit base (such as England, France, Spain, etc), I tend to make a lot of investments. If I'm playing a minor power (like Scotland) I tend to be more careful-I don't have the recruits base to establish many new industries/trade investments and I feel I am better off investing in existing trades. The one thing I do always do though, if my nation has a coastline, is establish a fishing industry/trade (as it is also useful if the harvest fails).

If a nation has a specific historic industry that makes a useful trade investment then I do make sure I can find the recruits and money to establish it in-game. For example in the case of Scotland I always establsh a whisky industry, in China it's tea.
Deacon
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Like Jason, as a large power I want a lot of investments and different investments.

For a smaller position, I'm more likely to "shoot the moon" and commit a lot to one high return investment.

In a game's first few years, I try to invest as much as I can to build the base for the long haul. (with some exceptions where an invasion or other action might net me more in which case I will commit my cash to that.)

Money is the necessary pre-condition to almost everything in the game, so it pays to try to maximize it.

Personally, I think the trade system is opaque enough that trying to tease out the value of trade missions isn't worth it. If you're going to do trade missions, open them now and get a full year's value out of them.

As an African, I'd think precious metal mining would be a thing you'd do, though I'd wonder if you could get the mining advances that really improve results very easily?

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:18 pm

I like to look into the historically traded items of the position I have.

so as Prussia I built up the Silk trade, planted trees, for the silk worms etc, not direct trade investments but help longterm.

With Russia it is the Vodka.

Tried also to find out merchants of merit in the trade areas, who historically traded for the Nation as additional "Characters"

Naming traded items also helps, in Africa, you can probably look into the ivory trad, which should be a good money winner, Coffee Plantations take time but could also be a longterm aim.

I looked into the LAOK old rule book for a few ideas on trade, here are a few,

Slaves for the Americas
Salt or Rice
Silk, Toacco, Cocos
Cotton, Sugar, Wine Cloth.
Leather, Glass, Carpets or Ivory
Cattle, Fish, Pottery.
Furs
Dyes( Required for Blue or Red uniforms)
Spices
Tea
Perfumes or tapestry
Opium
Jewels or Diamonds
Paper or Soap

Maybe that will give a few ideas for trade items, some are specific for certain trade areas. Also trade missions at home help as well as those abroad.

If you are short of recruits you can invest monies without manpower, but the returns won`t be as good. Investing in a trade region that you country is part of may also if your lucky help improve your own EH.

Also look to invest as early in the year as possible as then you get the full return on the investment.

Hope this has helped a bit.
Rozwi_Game10
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you all. What you've wrote is all very interesting.

J Flower wrote:Tried also to find out merchants of merit in the trade areas, who historically traded for the Nation as additional "Characters"

I never thought of creating a named character to operate as a trade influencer. I'll definitely have to invent one now Very Happy

Deacon wrote:though I'd wonder if you could get the mining advances that really improve results very easily?

There's nothing in the rules to prevent the setting up of a mining academy by any Tribal Kingdom. You'd probably have to think of it as some sort of group sitting around a hut listening to an elder giving out advice, as opposed to an academy building with exams etc. that probably featured in the any European example.

The main issue would probably be the cost, and then the upkeep, however. Also, some of the mining upgrades feature technology not accessible to Tribal Nations, unless introduced from 'outside', so that would be an additional requirement. But its something to look into, possibly, in the years to come.

Jason wrote:The one thing I do always do though, if my nation has a coastline, is establish a fishing industry/trade (as it is also useful if the harvest fails).

Yes, I've done this in the past with European nations I've controlled. In the Rozwi case, who cannot build any sized ships, I'd need to enquire if we could build small boats suitable for use just past the surf. But then Agema would need to decide if we could also build dug-out canoes, suitable for river warfare such as those used historically in other parts of Tribal Africa.

Deacon wrote:Like Jason, as a large power I want a lot of investments and different investments.

For a smaller position, I'm more likely to "shoot the moon" and commit a lot to one high return investment.

Rozwi is a small power, so I think I need to focus on what I've already got, not diversify with future investments lest it spreads national resources too thin.

I do know about a few historical examples of trade, from the geographical area that the Rozwi Empire rules, so I'll probably introduce these as "shoot the moon" investments, as Deacon puts it, in future years.

Thanks again everyone. You've definitely given me some very useful food for thought.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 am