Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

Any chance of some game information, please?

Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Any chance of some game information, please?

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:55 pm

I don't have a copy of the rules, so these will probably be answered within them. I just thought it might influence people (okay, me) if players could tell us a little more about how the game works.

1) How do you go about setting up a character for Swashbuckler - Do you choose, or does Agema assign you a set of character traits to choose from?

2) Where does the character start in the game - Do they already have a profession? A family? Money and equipment? Do they already know any skills?

3) Each turn what does the player receive - a Newspaper? an Orders sheet? Something else?

4) Is it possible for us to be given an example of what can be achieved in any one turn?

For example, if my character wanted to go and speak to someone, I'd issue orders for him to do so, possibly mentioning that he cleans himself and his clothes first, and then I write up some points that I'd like to talk about / ask in the conversation. But is that all that a player could do in one turn? One small task, and then wait for the next turn to see what happens - which I presume would be given as a new calendar month, as per TGOK?

If that is the case, time elapsing in monthly increments, does it not appear strange when working from the point of one role-played character? Not achieving much, nor improving his 'game' life greatly from one turn to the next. Performing one task at a time - or, is it a case that Swashbuckler characters can do a number of small tasks to improve their lot and skills each turn?

5) Is there any aims or goals that players work towards? Or, like TGOK, is it simply a matter of the player tailoring their game to how they wish to play?

There's probably other things that I should have asked, and no doubt things that other people may well ask, in addition to what I already have - or phrase my questions better. Either way, any and all information on this game would be appreciated.

Cheers, Roy
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Re: Any chance of some game information, please?

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:57 pm

I've just done a quick scan through this section of the forum and have found this, posted previously by Kingmaker, which answers some of my questions.

Re: First turn
Post by Kingmaker on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:26 pm
Ok as a noble which I am I have 50 guineas I can travel cost is 1 guinea a turn.

It is prety basic pick a name, class, skills (3 1 is part of your class the other 2 you pick) plus a disadvantage.

Then you select nationality, religion.

Richard send the turn back stating the town you are in and some discourse of events. You will be given a scenario with a couple of choices.

You get the newspaper and map as well.

Return orders are a bit more complicated but gives Richard a clear idea of what you want to do achieve that turn.
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1597
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:29 pm

check your emails as well

Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:34 pm

4) Is it possible for us to be given an example of what can be achieved in any one turn?

For example, if my character wanted to go and speak to someone, I'd issue orders for him to do so, possibly mentioning that he cleans himself and his clothes first, and then I write up some points that I'd like to talk about / ask in the conversation. But is that all that a player could do in one turn? One small task, and then wait for the next turn to see what happens - which I presume would be given as a new calendar month, as per TGOK?

If that is the case, time elapsing in monthly increments, does it not appear strange when working from the point of one role-played character? Not achieving much, nor improving his 'game' life greatly from one turn to the next. Performing one task at a time - or, is it a case that Swashbuckler characters can do a number of small tasks to improve their lot and skills each turn?

5) Is there any aims or goals that players work towards? Or, like TGOK, is it simply a matter of the player tailoring their game to how they wish to play?
hmmm you set your own goals and work from there, as Tom has discovered it is not always easy and Richard will regularly throw spanners in the work.

You can improve your basic skills by practice and learn new ones the same way.

Basically once set up its up to your, your position dose bear a lot on what happens to you. If like Tom you are poor commoner, then difficult times lie ahead like real life in those days. As a noble like is a tad easier, BUT a lot more is expected as a Gentleman AND you are not alwasy rich, but at least you can usually get a commission as an officer as a noble.....

Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:36 pm

1 turn is just like your game turn you may ask to do 1 or serveral things, BUT depending on the outcome of the first the rest may not happen.... BTW without money, no letters can be sent, or coahes hired or inns to sleep in...... ask Tom Shocked

Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks Kingmaker.

I had a look on Wargame Vault, at Agema's offerings, and found a three-page sample from the rules book that answers a lot of my questions.

Here's a link for those interested - if you click on "Full-size Preview" it will show you the rules book samples.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/105291/Swashbuckler-PBM-PBEM-fast-play-roleplaying-game
The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Real Louis on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:08 pm

I beg your pardon, Kingmaker - Tom is no commoner, he is a Gentleman, born and bred (right there is half his problem!). Doesn't matter who you are, if you have no money and no coat, life is difficult.
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:52 pm

but not a noble?

My apologies Sir, meet me in Prussia if you require satisfaction

The Real Louis
Duke
Duke

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Real Louis on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 am

Like the animation!!
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 am

Hmm. Decisions.

I've got a short list of a few possible characters to choose from. But I really don't know who to go for.

The naval officer
The country poacher
The widowed, young noblewoman
The American frontiersman
The African explorer

Then there was my first idea - typical teenaged boys-own stuff

Young, handsome, swordsman.

Having a go at playing a twenty-something noblewoman may be fun, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if some boorish prig wanted to play hide the sausage with me?!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Hmm. Decisions.

I've got a short list of a few possible characters to choose from. But I really don't know who to go for.

The naval officer
The country poacher
The widowed, young noblewoman
The American frontiersman
The African explorer

Then there was my first idea - typical teenaged boys-own stuff

Young, handsome, swordsman.

Having a go at playing a twenty-something noblewoman may be fun, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if some boorish prig wanted to play hide the sausage with me?!

Think you should make your widowed noblewoman a actress/opera singer.......and play her like "My Lady de Winter" or some of the female characters in the Flashman books.

This gives you a perfect reason to go on tour to lots of interesting places and talk to all sorts of interesting men and handsome young officers.

Think in most games plenty of "ministers" would turn out to be generous patrons of the arts if you sent them interesting reports from places of interest and some might even send you the odd "Carte Blanche" so if you have to knife some boorish prig you avoid too many legal problems.

Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Word of caution!

A certain French player sent his favorite bit of totty as an ambassador to Morocco, the Sultan thought he was being offered a new woman for his harem and promptly placed her there, for about a Year till the French did some sort of exchange to get her back. And the Moroccan player was not scared of France either. So play a woman but beware this is the 1700's and not the 2000's things were a lot different in attitudes towards women!

Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Yeah. The female in a man's world problem had already come to mind - though I was fearing being shipped off to a convent

I had thought about a "Lola Montez" style character, being influenced by the Flashman books. But, again, I'm really not sure that I'd want to attempt a female character.

I wouldn't mind, the female character is the one which I'd fleshed out the most when considering my choices.

###

Konstanze, Countess Eysen zu Wesenberg

Born as the only child to a minor German noble. She was raised by a governess from Alsace, who taught her to speak French.

Now a widow, at 26 years old, she was formerly married to the only child of the Count Eysen zu Wesenberg. Her late husband marrying her against the wishes of his parents, they only tolerated her due to her being pregnant at the time of the marriage. Now that her husband is dead, the Count and his wife have taken her son, the heir, and have banished her from their family.

To ease her way forward in life, and as an act of defiance against her late husband's family, she introduces herself as Countess Eysen zu Wesenberg, but the title is actually belonging to her estranged mother-in-law.

Name - Konstanze, Countess Eysen zu Wesenberg
Type - Lady (gentry class)
Nationality - German
Religion - Roman Catholic
Three aptitudes - Advantage, Foreign Language (French), Prestige
Weakness - Temper
Age; 26

###

Aptitudes and Weakness quotes from the rules:

Advantage - the lady has the ability to get men to do what she wants simply because they desire to show off and please her. These may become rivals and turn on each other while trying to win such affection, or they may feel jilted and turn on your ladyship!

Foreign language - as well as you own tongue, you can speak and read/write a foreign language as well (in Europe in 1700 the main courtly language is deemed to be French). Please specify the language while taking into account that if it is found you can speak certain languages in certain places they might think you are a spy, strange, or just not reliable. If you don't tell us which language you want we'll choose one for you.

Prestige - where used doors can be opened which to lesser mortals would remain shut, allowing you access into all manner of places be mere virtue of your social rank. It may also mean you are not welcome in the more common establishments as you make commoners feel uncomfortable.

Temper - under stress you tend to get violent or just shout a lot and make a fool of yourself. This can get you arrested, or dead. You may while in such a condition accidentally hurt someone so badly that they die, or you hurt yourself, or beat someone up you really, really didn't want to. It's a great way to make new enemies!

###

I'm not sure what I would do with the Konstanze character scratch

Flit around the courts of Europe, causing havoc among the male courtiers until I can snag myself a rich husband ... then poison him and live a long and comfortable life! lol!
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:54 pm

You know, she sounds quite like an ex of mine...including the poisoning Wink
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:45 am

That was hard work. Spent yesterday trying to build a character I liked the sound of and could relate to, and I just couldn't do it. Sad

Major issue was that I didn't want to go with a noble/gentry -type, nor have a character that would fall foul of TGOK happenings too much or influence that game in anyway.

I ended up on the website of the "The Company of Merchant Adventurers of the City of York" (aka Merchant Adventurers Guild) and playing on the little web-game that they have on their website - concerning trading over a 6-month period in 1471.

LINK to the trading game is here - 5 minute game

I liked the idea of a merchant wandering from market to market in search of financial gain so I built a character along those lines.

I've just submitted it to Agema, and should it be approved - along with my game goals - then I'll post a new topic on this forum and keep you all up to date.

Cheers,
Roy
revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Are you willing to discuss which game the character will call home?
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Now that was something that I'd made a mistake over - I thought all games of Swashbuckler were played in the TGOK 7 world, but Agema has told me otherwise.

I don't know which game I'll end up in, though it won't be game 10 as I have the conflict of interest of already playing in it. I just said to place me in game 7 / 8 / 9, whichever is easiest for Agema.

My character is an Englishman / Anglican / small-time merchant from York. Called Bartholomew Yorke
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:52 pm

well if you are in G7 that will be 3 of us then lol!

Last edited by Kingmaker on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

revvaughan
King
King

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:21 pm

You would have a friend in the Palace of St. James in Game VIII.
Rozwi_Game10
Prince
Prince

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:02 am

revvaughan wrote:You would have a friend in the Palace of St. James in Game VIII.

Thanks. If I do end up in game 8 I suppose it isn't beyond the realms of possibilities for B. Yorke Esq. to end up in conversation with somebody who knows a clerk or servant, or the like, at the palace.

"'Ey up. What be this I's 'earing 'bout want of't decent supping at big house up yonder? Now then, I's do y' a good deal, right fair 'nd square. 'Ere, y' not from't Lancashire, are tha?!"

Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Kingmaker wrote:well if you are in G7 that will be 3 of us then lol!

G7 is great for some swashbucklers swanning round the fleshpots of Berlin in their fancy new uniform. And even better for a want to be Corsair (sorry Tom.....I mean Gentleman Privateer).

But before Bart Yorke is thrown in at the deep end in G7 rather than the more sedate G8/G9 perhaps someone should point out that the last two kings of England, plus the Duke of Marlborough & numerous merchants have been murdered (or executed if you prefer).

The Govt in London is run by fanatic Jacobites who closed the Bank of England so credit is not easy to get.

The last harvest was poor and the country is in the middle of a war.......so trade conditions are probably rubbish.

Plus many of Englands leading mercantile figures seem to be cronies or ex cronies of either Blackbeard or Roger Martel (HWIC boss now in exile in Africa?).

Basically playing a swashbuckler in G7 England is probably playing the game......with the setting turned up to ultra hard.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Jason wrote:You know, she sounds quite like an ex of mine...including the poisoning Wink

Surely that was just Scots cooking?
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Post by Jason on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
Jason wrote:You know, she sounds quite like an ex of mine...including the poisoning Wink

This was in my pre-Scottish days Wink
Kingmaker
Admin
Admin

Post by Kingmaker on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Basically playing a swashbuckler in G7 England is probably playing the game......with the setting turned up to ultra hard. wrote:

As poor Tom is finding out, I started in G2 and transferred and lost every thing even my hard earned money in the end. At least I still have my monkey!

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Jason wrote:
Stuart Bailey wrote:

This was in my pre-Scottish days Wink

Surely some of your girlfriends can cook without poisoning you? Or do you have that effect on all women?

My ex-girlfriends have shown a bit of a tendancy to leave the country or turn gay but no one has tried to poison me yet. Do you think its common?pale

Signed: Concerned of Bitton

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am