Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
Stuart Bailey
jamesbond007
Rozwi_Game10
Deacon
8 posters

Spontaneous currency revaluation

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Spontaneous currency revaluation - Page 2 Empty Re: Spontaneous currency revaluation

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Some of the location info for Rozwi's Zimbabwe / Southern Mozambique /South Africa is what I've found / provided, and then Richard checks and legitimises it.

A lot of the places I'm using are unpopulated at 1700AD, and only became recognised locations after C19th Colonialism.

Inhambane (Mozambique) is hundreds of years old at 1700AD, and has a history of Arab and Portuguese settlement / trade. It's been established that it has a population of 5,000 in the game, and, at least with my Rozwi turn sheet, a gazette entry written as Agema fact.

Ba-Phalaborwa (South Africa) has been recognised as existing, and having a population of 600

Umtali (modern Mutare, Zimbabwe) didn't come into existence as a settlement until circa 1900, but it serves my purpose in game as it's near Tete and Sofala in Portuguese East Africa

Jahunda Hill (Zimbabwe) is a nearby geographic feature to a modern settlement, which again serves my purpose in the game.

In future games (or game edits) Rozwi might have Inhambane added to its settlements, possibly. Also, Rozwi may be recognised as having access to canoes and coastal sailing craft (both suitable for fishing).

I'm not saying I'm revolutionising Agema's understanding of the playing position, because its mainly me asking or pointing Richard to an idea and then waiting for him to check / legitimise it in the game. Rozwi was so deficient in any information or settlements to start with, it really was like writing my own game position. Hopefully what I / we have provided for Rozwi will be of benefit to the whole.

Saying all that, my Rozwi is more visibly familiar to Zulu culture / history, it probably bears no resemblance to true Historic Rozwi. But I just can't find much in the way of specifics of information for the tribe.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Spontaneous currency revaluation - Page 2 Empty Re: Spontaneous currency revaluation

Post by Deacon Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I know that players help flesh things out.

I've gotten updated notes on Zanzibar.

I got Catarina Braganza, dowager queen of England Scotland and Ireland added to the game.

My wife played Burma for while and I think caused updated Burma blurbs to be added.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 am

As an addendum on turn cost, the big positions can be VERY expensive. You have a lot of options available to you, but all of them cost orders. Economic activities, honour activities, building, raising and moving armies and navies.

I play a much smaller position in game 10, and typically run close to base turn costs. I am nowhere near base turn costs with Hispania in game 8. Richard may work hard for my money, but he also works a LOT for it!

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 am

My Rozwi in Game 10 has extra orders funded - but with a limit of £20 total cost a turn.

I managed to keep the first 6 turns inside the base costs of £10 a turn, but then my extra information and some orders, etc., began to fall outside of the time allotment and weren't able to be resolved due to the need to issue new orders each turn. A couple of turns using the extra funding - running to the £20 cost limit I imposed - saw the back orders and my information provided for a yes or no response from Richard (Canoes was one such enquiry) dealt with. Now my turns have generally cost around the £12 to £15 a time mark, as I build up the initial momentum for war and getting the country on a level that can be ignored to run its course for a while. Last turn (just submitted) was relatively light in orders, as I am now focusing on the army only - but I did ask for spy reports from invasion targets (in a npc country, before Portugal starts to panic), so possibly it will cost over the base amount for a turn as I asked for some specific details so I know where to target my attack.

In the future I'd imagine my Rozwi will resort back to costing the base turn cost.

[I provided the above information, not as I want others to give likewise of themselves, but, as I wanted to, as it may help casual readers or other players get an idea of costs, or where they are in light of playing Game 10]
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2556
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06 am

Ref the cost of running positions in my experience is that it is not so much the size of a position as its complexity which mounts up costs so a position like Austria or Rumelia which only has one land area and at least in 1700 no colonies or Navy to speak off can actually be cheaper and easier to run than in some respects smaller positions like UDP or Portugal which have colonies and naval forces scattered across half the world.

As a rough rule of thumb positions have possible:

a) Economic orders

b) Social orders

c) Colonial orders

d) Army orders

e) Naval orders

f) Int & Propaganda orders

g) War fighting orders

h) What i call "floral" additions to other orders.......ie simple social order like Christmass Ball of Nobility.....gets "floral" additional of being fancy dress and the Queen was dressed in.

If you can ignore some of these sections like Bavarian Naval & Colonial orders then life for the Elector of Bavaria can be a lot cheaper than for a Doge of Venice who has a Navy and lots of colonies to protect from the Turk.

Also find that if your poition is split into more than one large land mass you find orders may need to double or triple up plus you have to move recruits/grain around......so Portugal for instance may need to give an Economic order for the homeland, others for Brazil, others for Africa and others for India. While the Czar (at least before he starts buying colonies) can get away with one single order for his whole Empire.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 am

Stuart is spot on.

As Hispania in Game 8, I have colonies, armies, and navies all over the globe.

Pity my turn costs everytime I develop a military upgrade and try to implement that worldwide!
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:46 am

In addition to the items mentioned by Pedro II... Playing as England or the UK gives you the interaction that must be written up and role-played with Parliament. Turns from England can get rather expensive.

However, in peace I have tried to limit the orders to no more than five on the army and navy and I simply try to keep the others within a reasonable limit. Turns around the beginning of the game year cost more due to investments and many projects coming due that need to be pushed to the next level.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 am

Yes, I find the first 6 months of the year turns tend to be much higher than later in the year. You do your spends, your troops raises, then the latter half of the year ends up more social and smaller stuff. Still large for me, but not as large...

I have found for the smaller position, it's easier to create a long term plan, and then work to that. You don't have many men or much money, so your options are much more limited, so even if you wanted to go crazy, you don't have the resources to.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 am

One idea I use is to draw up a social calender, with as many months as possible preplanned, so you can plan in advance & only need to do one order, so you can plan Christmas ball, débutantes dance, Carnivals, Summer balls etc, Doing the same for various religious festivals is also an option. Not saying the Orders always get done, but it at least gives you a framework to act upon, if your lucky the piece of paper doesn't fall of Richards desk & you get one order done to cover the whole year. Ok in one turn it raises turn cost but it free's up time & money for the rest of the year.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

J Flower wrote:One idea I use is to draw up a social calender, with as many months as possible preplanned, so you can plan in advance & only need to do one order, so you can plan Christmas ball, débutantes dance, Carnivals, Summer balls etc, Doing the same for various religious festivals is also an option.  Not saying the Orders always get done, but it at least gives you a framework to act upon, if your lucky the piece of paper doesn't fall of Richards desk & you get one order done to cover the whole year. Ok in one turn it raises turn cost but it free's up time & money for the rest of the year.

This is a great idea. I still think I'd do it month by month so I could respond to world events, but it can sometimes be a chore to figure out your social events for the month. No reason they couldn't be planned and drafted in advance and then cut and pasted into the current turn after checking for any relevant world event commentary. I am going to pick up this idea and run with it.

As a matter of course, I have the next two turns always started. I spill out all my ideas and my turn gets very long. Then I go back and cut and paste things that really aren't critical into future months to trim the turn down. If they get cut and pasted into future months a couple of times, I drop them because clearly they aren't a good enough idea to make the cut. I can just extend this out and start slotting in the social stuff, as well as the stuff I know I'll do every year.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I also find it helps if your pushed for time with a turn deadline, or need a few ideas for honour score, making such events "annual " add a bit of a framework to court life, if you use it as a base line then it leaves you more time to think about which costume your character is going to wear to that fancy dress ball, or the colour of the queens dress.

Also with the religious calendar it can be interesting to research the various different religious festivals of your chosen religion, once again adding a touch of authenticity to your national character.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Good advice.

It's funny you mentioned that, since we just did the Holy Week Penance parades in Spain which were quite the thing, but in fact it was in this exact period that they grew even larger, a number of the parade companies were founded in the 1700s.

So after I did some big support for them this year, I thought to myself, "I should make this annual event to support." but didn't do anything to actually make sure I did. Setting up a yearly calendar on these issues would be very helpful for making turn development easier.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Stuart is spot on.

As Hispania in Game 8, I have colonies, armies, and navies all over the globe.

Pity my turn costs everytime I develop a military upgrade and try to implement that worldwide!

Compared to other positions I too found Spain (in G7) one of the most if not the most complex positions to play in Game since its not one large land mass and some colonies like many other positions but lots of land area's with own laws, traditions, cortez, estates generals etc who just happen to share loyalty to the same ruler who is a King in some places and a Duke in others.

In G7 I introduced a common Commercial Law (The Pavia Code) and left everything else strictly alone which costs a fortune in palaces etc for the various Cortez but allows my Character to pose as the Champion of local "Freedoms" against nasty absolutist types like the French & the Ottomans.

Its very ramshackle and played more like several medium positions than one large one........but I did have costs and orders fairly much under control. Then the French declared war on me Sad and inflation set in!

Dont these damn frogs appreciated that I can not stop dealing with a 140M ton grain surplus spread across 8 different geographic areas just to fight them........I have got brewers, distillers, fish farmers, livestock farmers to keep happy as well as new grain silo's to fill & seed grain to distribute.

That and campaigns keep adding new places to my map as formerly ignored "small villages" suddenly turn up as large (and neglected cities). Though I guess that this may not be such a problem for southern Africa! Though be warned wars make a terrible mess of nice tidy military lists.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 pm

I have run it more centralized, but not messed with the Cortez. The economy's been good enough I've lowered taxes a bit, but otherwise have no need to call upon them. So yes, I have to pay for nearly a dozen palaces between the royal ones and the cortez, but fortunately the economy has been kind enough that isn't a problem.

I have some long term projects to develop a more "nationalist" mindset across the empire, but who knows if they're work, and it won't be quick in any case.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am

Like with G8 the G7 Spanish Economy has been very strong so the cost of the Cortez has not been a problem.

The problem is my order list is now swimming in Neo-Classical and various other styles of palaces.

Taxation I have not touched taking view that I have permission to collect up to 10% and can only go higher with permission of the Cortez. Generally, only bother to collect about half the tax I could and waive salt taxes etc which impose a burden on the poor.

The Cortez, Estate Generals, etc basically act as a final law court. Plus membership signal's if you are a member of the "great and good" in society. If your name is not on the summoned list of attendee's you are clearly a very bad man and in deep social disgrace. 2nd only to being appointed as Spanish Envoy to Napal for saying pro Jacobite things at court.

Life was so much easier as Rumelia............if the Leyerbey wanted to show upset he just used to impale in the middle of a bonfire.lol!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:22 am

One of my nobles who thought it was ok to speak ill of me behind my back got appointed Governor General of one of our more obscure colonies :-)

I did require the cortez to each elect some members to a royal privy council to represent their regional interests so I don't really have to debate any policy issues with the individual cortez.

I am also trying to implement a single law code, if the university of Salamanca would ever get off it's butt and complete the damn thing! (I am frequently surprised by what research comes easy and what comes hard. Clearly the dice gods are playing with me. How many years should it take to put together a unified law code?)
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 am

Deacon wrote:
    One of my nobles who thought it was ok to speak ill of me behind my back got appointed Governor General of one of our more obscure colonies :-)

I did require the cortez to each elect some members to a royal privy council to represent their regional interests so I don't really have to debate any policy issues with the individual cortez.

I am also trying to implement a single law code, if the university of Salamanca would ever get off it's butt and complete the damn thing! (I am frequently surprised by what research comes easy and what comes hard. Clearly the dice gods are playing with me. How many years should it take to put together a unified law code?)

Well its taken 120 years and seemingly not all of the King of Spain & Naples, Duke of Milan & Flanders lands can agree on a simple calandar.

So agreeing to a unified law code will probably take longer Very Happy

I think Justiaian's codification of Rome Law took around 20 years but its not really clear when the work started.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:34 am

Maybe instead of letting the lawyers/ technocrats right the law book you could give the order that your Character is drawing up the "basis" of a new law system.

This may speed things up a bit, of course it would need to be debated in your ruling council but if you fix a date for it's going into law it may help .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am