Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

Manufacturing

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Manufacturing Empty Manufacturing

Post by Nexus06 Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am

Hi All

The four key drivers of the Industrial Revolution were textile manufacturing, iron founding, steam power and cheap labour.

I've looked into the rules to understand how to create the manufacturers as a trade investment but failed to.

I have found possible to build industrial villages, but that is all i've found.

It would be interesting to have your opinion over the argument because i think investing in manufacturers would be key to textile and army development.

Thanks
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Manufacturing Empty Re: Manufacturing

Post by count-de-monet Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

I can only speak from personal experience and I do not know this for fact, or understand how Agema would approach an accelerated timeline for an "Industrial Revolution"

I kind of tried in one game, secured cheap labour, forced the movement of population from farming into towns, set up industrial centres and it failed and caused some serious issues. To be fair, the rules, from memory do warn of potential social unrest.

So my opinion is one of two outcomes;
    1) An early industrial revolution will not happen in the game
    2) If Agema allow it to happen then its a long term project and you have to go through a lot of pain first.

Other players may have more positive experiences.

I am sure advancements are possible. I am sure an increase in manufacturing is possible....but to see the kind of results and benefits that accrued to Great Britain, historically for being the first nation to go through an Industrial Revolution....I'm just not sure we will see it
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

There were agricultural worker riots because of the advances that enabled the industrial revolution. It wasn't all that great for a lot of workers.

That said, the rules have pretty much all the building blocks of the revolution in them, you just have to do them all and live with the disruption.

Textile advances, farming advances, enclosures and steam power advances are all in the various rule books.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks

For example: Vasily Tatishchev was in charge of the Ural factory of Perm and Ekaterimburg. They were the place were russian infantry and artillery weapons were forged. They looked to me a bit more than an arsenal.

Would some arsenal+ rifle academy and stuffs like that be the kind of things that are needed to recreate the Ural Factory effect in the game?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 pm

That's really for you to decide. If you want to do research, you need an academy (whatever you name it). If you want to build the weapons you design, you need an arsenal.

There are a lot of places in the game (taxes come to mind!) where the rules much simplify how complicated history was.

So you're welcome to explain/describe the place as you want, and you may even get some bonuses from Richard for it, but when it comes down to actual mechanics, this is how the rules work it.

If you haven't invested in all the rules supplements, I'd encourage you to do that and read them.

I think they'll save a lot of players money over time because you won't have to ask about certain things on the turn, you'll have it from the books.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 am

Deacon wrote:
    That's really for you to decide. If you want to do research, you need an academy (whatever you name it). If you want to build the weapons you design, you need an arsenal.

There are a lot of places in the game (taxes come to mind!) where the rules much simplify how complicated history was.

So you're welcome to explain/describe the place as you want, and you may even get some bonuses from Richard for it, but when it comes down to actual mechanics, this is how the rules work it.

If you haven't invested in all the rules supplements, I'd encourage you to do that and read them.

I think they'll save a lot of players money over time because you won't have to ask about certain things on the turn, you'll have it from the books.

Perfect Deacon Thanks!

I bought all game supplements i'm aware of, but this specific part of the game mechanic was still not clear for me
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:28 am

On Manufacturing. I think I am right in saying that when you make a trade investment you can make a note to say it is in a "factory" I have always taken that to mean a concentration of the work force rather that the cottage industry that in period was widespread. If you then link the factory to a product as well, .i.e.. Textile, Iron goods etc. then you start to build an industrial base. These are according to the rules more efficient than normal trade investments. However they are not as flexible if someone targets that area/commodity with cheaper goods.

That maybe the best way to getting your feet on the bottom rung of the industrial revolutionary ladder.

Also improved farming methods/investments play a part as well, if people are working in cities then they are not producing food in enough quantity/ quality to feed themselves all year round, so don't forget you probably need to study the agricultural revolution & master that before you move onto the industrial nouveau.

One step at a time. As Deacon has pointed out the building blocks are there, it is just the implementation that is the hard part, also the individual interpretation of the rules & the desired result, there are many advances that help improve EH & Grain production. Infrastructure is important, after all improved roads & canals help with the movement of materials & finished goods, improved water & windmills also push along the industrialisation, maybe having a wealthy middle(merchant)  class could also help as entrepreneurs look for ways to make more money & therefore improved production techniques (not sure if this is present in game or how indeed it could be duplicated.) Would an Absolutist monarchy be able to create the conditions required for such a fundamental change to take place, you probably need to abolish serfdom to allow people to move to the cities, which may upset the Nobility as their cheap labour force moves from the soil to toil in the big cities, when they discover the streets are not paved with gold then said cheap labour force is automatically transformed into an angry mob.  

So there are probably  ways of getting an agricultural revolution , an industrial revolution , & a revolution to overthrow the lawfully established government.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am