Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

The Tsar is in London

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Tsar is in London Empty The Tsar is in London

Post by Nexus06 Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 pm

And will remain until Monday, enjoing the beautifull sights of this marvelous capital.
    Suggestions are welcome!
    Regards
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The Tsar is in London Empty Re: The Tsar is in London

Post by Kingmaker Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 pm

visit the Imperial war museum
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Kingmaker wrote:visit the Imperial war museum

I've informed my families that this is mandatory!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I was only a child the last time I was taken/went to London, so I can't offer any good places to visit. I'd just be listing place names from a tourist guide.

I did have an address for where the Juventus Club Londra met to watch matches, but unless you like the Old Lady its probably not of interest.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm a museum fan, so take this in that context.

The Tower of London. The Royal jewels are super shiny, and neat to see. Good history too.

The British Museum is enormous, but a must see for history buffs. British archeologists pillaged, I mean excavated and brought back to England, a ton of neat stuff.

The Victoria and Albert is also a great museum.

The national gallery has a ton of great paintings, and is worth a visit.

These museums can all overwhelm (except maybe the tower which isn't so large), so my advice is that with limited time do what we do, and breeze through seeing what catches your eye, or limit yourself and don't go if you can't stand not fully exploring a place.

For many years my wife and I were members of English Heritage even though we didn't get to England that often because we just loved the work they do preserving historical properties. I'd encourage you to hit their website and consider places there you might find fun. Lots of period houses you could visit not that far out.

Not sure if you're doing the countryside, but having visited a few times with friends, I would say that stonehenge is underwhelming. With limited time to sightsee, I wouldn't spend time on it.

Windsor castle can be worth a visit, but not sure if it's open at the moment.

Westminster Abbey has a lot of history, but as a structure it wasn't really all that different than a ton of cathedrals across Europe. Unless you really want its history in particular, I don't think you miss much by skipping it.

My advice, more than a bit outdated, but hopefully still relevant.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 pm

If the family are not limiting you to one museum full of weapons and British loot I think you will also like the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square off Oxford Street.

Truely remarkable to see how much really great and vary varied stuff one one English Gentleman & his good Lady Wife from the scabble period could collect.  The dusting must have been a nightmare!

See if you can spot the Italian dauling sword from Florence with very small pistol built into the handle!  Somewhere between the Elector of Saxony's Cermonial Guard Halbards (the latest in C16/C17 Crowd control) and the huge mass of Indian and Oriental Swords, Elephant Armour (said the Maids had a tough job with the dusting).

Plus if your wife/girlfriend is not so keen on arms and armour there is lots of Jewellery, Fine Art and Porcelain.  May be wrong but I think some of the Porcelain was a gift from the Czarina.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:20 pm

All the museums mentioned above are great-I've worked in partnership with a lot of them over the years Smile

Museum of London is also worth a visit.

If it's your thing, the London Eye does give good views of the city while I am told the Sea Life London Aquarium is impressive.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

The Tsar is in London Empty Amsterdam

Post by Deacon Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:46 am

So to get in on the crowd advice action, I'll be in Amsterdam with for about a week starting saturday. Got most of our museum kinda plans dialed in, but any advice on cool things that people sometimes miss, or things they don't miss but probably should?

We stop by Reykjavik on the way home, so any similar advice for a couple of days there is welcome too.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:21 am

Esq. Majesties, beloved brothers

London is indeed beautiful, even if rainy! We’ve enjoyed a first day of walkabout around Victoria, Chelsea and St.James, then of course Bakingham Palace, Westminster’s cathedral, the Big Bang (closed for rejovination - so sorry about that) st.paul church, and the museums of natural history and science (my kid extremely enjoyed the t-Rex

Today i’ll Try brutish and imperial war museum, and see if we have energy for a third

Ah, me and my boy have enjoyed 2 dinners at st. James tavern, were beer and chips were delicious! Too bad young boys are not allowed to stay after 7 pm in locations such admiralty pub Sad
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 pm

The Imperial War Museum is amazing!

Tomorrow i'll be back home, see you soon guys!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm