Bristol

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Bristol

Post by Stuart Bailey on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 pm

With Jason heading south to a BS postcode even if he is outside of the Glorious & famous City & County of Bristol.

He, other locals & anyone of wants to play Bristol most famous son in Glori (Blackbeard) might fancy a look at a small book by Derek Robinson (printed by Countryside Books ISBN 1 85306 930 2) called "A Darker History of Bristol" - Swindles, Scandals & Skulduggery.

Sadly nothing about Blackbeard and I feel the book needs an additional three new chapters on a) Why was our Airport built in Somerset rather then using the existing runways at Filton (longest in Europe at the time) b) What about our light rail system? & c) The Bristol International Aren. But plenty of good bits! Inc Black & White Slavery, Quaker Bashing (very much in our period) & an Account of Bristol in the Civil War which is pure G7.

Outside of our period but my favourite bit was the Bristol Riot of 1832. They just dont throw parties like that any more!

Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Number of posts : 1801
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Re: Bristol

Post by Jason on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Bristol is great for Glory-period stuff Smile For the first few weeks, I lived in Knowle in Bristol and used to walk pass a plaque each day to Woodes Rogers, an early 18th Century privateer and first royal governor of the Bahamas.

This week I was out at Kingswood for work, on the edge of Bristol. It's home to the first production of Brass on an industrial level (cf cottage industry) in the British Isle...possibly using technology stolen from the Dutch. It's towards the end of the Glory period but am sure it could still work in-game.

But was can't forget the possible Scramble options...Isambard Kingdom Brunel...ok, in real life he died in 1859 but if he hasn't in-game...maybe try and get his atmospheric railway to work? Or build "Great Eastern" as "HMS Great Eastern", the mightest warship ever?

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Kingswood base of the infamous Cocks Road Gang

If I wanted to show my localism and get in a cheap shot I would say nothing much as changed.

But being the fair minded type I am I will just ask were did the Avon and Somerset Police lose a police car? With a police dog in the back!
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Bristol is the city that rioted over a Tescos Wink So not much has changed here either Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Jason wrote:Bristol is the city that rioted over a Tescos Wink So not much has changed here either Very Happy

In the past Bristol has also rioted against Catholics, against non Conformists, in favour of reform, against reform and if favour of being able to sale "herbs" in the Black & White Cafe without being raided by the Police.

But never has it rioted against its Merchants and Builders which gives you a fair idea of who has been actually running Bristol for the last 600 years. I put the riot in Stokes Croft down to "outsiders".

For information the Bristol view of "foreigners" is anyone North of Gloucester, East of Bath or from the other side of the Bristol Channel.

The fact that this includes the majority of the Population of Bristol at some time or another is not material. Bristol being a state of mind not a matter of birth place, religion or other unimportant issues.

A half Jewish/half Irish friend from Chorley..........therefore a Scot as she was from north of Gloucester. Put forward the theories which should be applied to any Scabble Character from Bristol that a) You can spot the true Bristolian by how much they moan about the place......other people seem to like it and b) Bristolian like to travel so they can come back and complain about abroad.
Rozwi_Game10
King
King

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 pm

I was going to say something funny about the slang term 'Bristols'.

But after a quick google search, and finding out the full term in Cockney rhyming slang is "Bristol and West" (meaning chest, particularly female breasts; as in 'Cor, look at 'er bristols!' for those not in the know) and what/who the Bristol and West building society was, it sort of took the poor attempt at humour out of the comment.

Wikipedia wrote:The Building society was founded in 1850 as the Bristol, West of England and South Wales Permanent Building Society. It offered mortgages in the Bristol and the south west of England area and became a well known institution in the region.

Bristol Riot of 1832. I'll have to have a look to see if that was the one featured as an event in Allan Mallinson's last Matthew Hervey (of the 6th Light Dragoons) book.

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

If you want to get a feel of the West, then maybe look into getting copies of "George Balsh " books by W Jones, doubt they are on amazon though, maybe small ads in e-bay. written between the wars they are written in proper Zommerzet Talk, lots of oooooh arrr & stuff like that.

May be interesting to note that the West Country Cider drinkers actually mostly suffered from lead poisoning as well, as Lead fillings were used to drag down the sediment in the Cider. This may also explain the slightly slower less hectic way of life in the West country!

People moving from other parts of the country may experience some effects of time warp when entering the Boarders of olde Wessex, not to mention being approached by people speaking a foreign tounge.
Rozwi_Game10
King
King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Used to school holiday in Dorset at my Godmother's house and ran into the "foreign tounge" regularly. But then they had to try and understand my North Yorkshire-speak, with all it's 'Ts' and dropped-Hs and not to mention preferred pronunciations and naming of things. I must have reminded them of a child extra off TV's 'All Creatures Great and Small' (I'm from too far North to have been mistaken as someone from the Emmerdale Farm or Last of the Summer Wine Yorkshire)

More Google-Fu has me finding (and reading) this

https://visitbristol.co.uk/about-bristol/all-about-bristol/interesting-facts

Particular to TGOK, possibly, would be The New Room (John Wesley's Chapel)?

J Flower
King
King

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:21 pm

When I went into the army was in a barrack room with 3 others, one came from Northern Ireland, one fom Sunderland & One from Liverpool, & myself as a son Of Somerset we all found it hard to communicate with any of the others, you don't need to go abroad to have langauge problems beleive you, me,

Also didn't help that the lad from Northern Ireland was a Protestant & The lad from Sunderland was a Catholic & both took their relegion seriously. Once the understanding one another was sorted out we had a whole new set of problems to contend with.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Used to school holiday in Dorset at my Godmother's house and ran into the "foreign tounge" regularly. But then they had to try and understand my North Yorkshire-speak, with all it's 'Ts' and dropped-Hs and not to mention preferred pronunciations and naming of things. I must have reminded them of a child extra off TV's 'All Creatures Great and Small' (I'm from too far North to have been mistaken as someone from the Emmerdale Farm or Last of the Summer Wine Yorkshire)

More Google-Fu has me finding (and reading) this

https://visitbristol.co.uk/about-bristol/all-about-bristol/interesting-facts

Particular to TGOK, possibly, would be The New Room (John Wesley's Chapel)?

The New Room includes a great museum (one of those I support in my job), reopened recently after a redevelopment and does an excellent job of making what could have been a rather dry narrative engaging and relevant
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:56 pm

J Flower wrote:People moving from other parts of the country may experience some effects of time warp when entering the Boarders of olde Wessex, not to mention being approached by people speaking a foreign tounge.

Lot of the time i feels like being back in the Highlands Very Happy
Rozwi_Game10
King
King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm

J Flower wrote:When I went into the army was in a barrack room with 3 others...

I've lived on Catterick Camp/Garrison all my life. So have experienced plenty of different languages, dialects, religious denominations, ethnicity groups in my life. In our street alone the two biggest Glasgow football clubs have more supporters than any one English team. And there's a healthy number of German women whose husbands were part of the BAOR. Down the lane we've a number from Hong Kong as well. Certainly provided an interesting mix to grow up with.

Stuart Bailey
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Stuart Bailey on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Jason wrote:
J Flower wrote:People moving from other parts of the country may experience some effects of time warp when entering the Boarders of olde Wessex, not to mention being approached by people speaking a foreign tounge.

Lot of the time i feels like being back in the Highlands Very Happy

Just do not try speaking Scots Gallic in Bristol.......the locals may think you are speaking Welsh to them and may be overcome with a urge to lock up their cows, sheep, daughters and shoot arrows at you!

On the subject of language the now sadly ever more rare true Bristolian langauge (sometimes known as crac Brisol) is very different to the form of English spoken in Somerset and other area's around Bristol. Bristolian tends to be very much quicker than Somerset mostly due to cutting the ends off words, it also does odd things to the letter "L" adding "L" to words which do not have the letter and taking it out of many words which do. I was 12 before someone explained that idea and ideal were actually two different words and I still believe they only have a seperate existence in the written language.

What is does share with Somerset is that outsiders tend to think users of both as being a bit slow. Historically if dealing with peat burner who has just drunk 7 pints of very strong cider this may have an element of truth but tended to be a bad basis for dealing with Bristol Merchants.

As for the theory that Women from Bristol need larger bra sizes than their sisters in other parts of the country it might make a interesting topic for one of Jason's academic studies but I suspect that its like some of the accounts concerning the Cerne Abbas Giant ie a Story spread by Inn Keepers to bring in the punters.
Jason
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jason on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Well, I do know some Welsh...a legacy of three years in Carmarthen.

I might have to undertake research into this claim of Stuart's...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm