Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

The Caucasus States

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

The Caucasus States Empty The Caucasus States

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:37 am

Most recent edition of Gloire du Roi (G7) showed a new map of Anatolia and the Caucasus Region.

In the Caucasus region what used to be classed as part of the Ottoman Sultanate position is now shown as 12 seperate states - 5 Independent, 4 Persian Vassels and 3 Ottoman.

I was wondering if this splintering of the Ottoman Empire in the east is unique to G7 and reflects the missionary and diplomatic work of the Shah of Persia - same player since 1700, Ghazi fighter against the French and all round Shia Hero (very high on honour list).

Or if it applies to all games and the Caucasus region is being set up for Russia, Persia and the Ottomans to dispute over diplomatically in a C18 version of the "Great Game" between Russia and the British in the C19?

Guess Ottoman, Persian and Russian players could always try to win influence and control by military means. But valley after high moutain valley of savage Agema NPC high on sufi and opium seems worse place to campaign in than Scotland! Looks like SL #2 for just getting out of bed territory and Armies go in and probably come back a lot smaller.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

The Caucasus States Empty Re: The Caucasus States

Post by Deacon Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes, the map in the paper is new. I noticed it too, but don't know what to make of it.

I hadn't seen all these ethnic divisions before. Not sure what exactly it means, since previous versions of the map (in the Atlas) have all this as Ottoman Anatolia territory. I assume it still is, it is just now noting the internal ethnic divisions across the region.

That is if I'm reading the map correctly....

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:38 pm

"The Miscellany" on page 54 lists the Caucasus as consisting of 12 states. Looking at that list and the G7 map they seem to match. I guess this is an update of the geo-politics and will be in all games, rather than just G7...so could make things more interesting...
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Richard uses the same map in the newspapers for a particular month, so this map wasn't just in the game 7 newspaper, it was in all of them.

Jason is more observant than I. Based on that being in the Miscellany, I'd just guess this is just an update to make the map more accurate to note the ethnic states under Ottoman Anatolia.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:27 am

New Map is certainly interesting from my Russian position stand point, will certainly open up new in game options, Peter the Great did campaign in the region a tone point, so there is an historically thread to follow.

But as has been pointed out, not exactly the most inviting area to campaign in, still it could be interesting as a contact point for players of Ottoman/ Persian/ Russian positions.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:Most recent edition of Gloire du Roi (G7) showed a new map of Anatolia and the Caucasus Region.

In the Caucasus region what used to be classed as part of the Ottoman Sultanate position is now shown as 12 seperate states - 5 Independent, 4 Persian Vassels and 3 Ottoman.

I was wondering if this splintering of the Ottoman Empire in the east is unique to G7 and reflects the missionary and diplomatic work of the Shah of Persia - same player since 1700, Ghazi fighter against the French and all round Shia Hero (very high on honour list).

Or if it applies to all games and the Caucasus region is being set up for Russia, Persia and the Ottomans to dispute over diplomatically in a C18 version of the "Great Game" between Russia and the British in the C19?

Guess Ottoman, Persian and Russian players could always try to win influence and control by military means.  But valley after high moutain valley of savage Agema NPC high on sufi and opium seems worse place to campaign in than Scotland!  Looks like SL #2 for just getting out of bed territory and Armies go in and probably come back a lot smaller.

In G9 i made researches and dipole contacts, and i can confirm that the caucasian situation is different from the original/old map, and coherent with th e"miscellanea" description. Further investigations are ongoing to determine the area around Azov.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:13 pm

J Flower wrote:New Map is certainly interesting from my Russian position stand point, will certainly open up new in game options, Peter the Great did campaign in the region a tone point, so there is an historically thread to follow.

But as has been pointed out, not exactly the most inviting area to campaign in, still it could be interesting as a contact point for players of Ottoman/ Persian/ Russian positions.

I suspect that the map will be used in all games but which states are Ottoman vassels, which are Persian or Russian or not aligned at all will vary from game to game depending on the diplomacy of the three main powers.

If people want to campaign in the area this will be possible but evil........those mountains go up to 13,000 feet and are really cold in winter, baking hot in summer, turn to mud in autumn, but are really nice for a few weeks in the Spring. Plus the locals carry big knives and are really keen on hunting. Even in WW I when a 90,000 strong Ottoman Army attacked across the passes late in the year after six weeks they were down to 15,000 effectives. Most of the losses being due to frost bite or snow blindness rather than Russian action. While perhaps the greatest general of our Period the Persian Nader Shah achieved very little in this area compared to his huge victories in Persia, Afganistan and India.

Suspect whole area will be designed by Agema as a money pit for the Russian, Ottoman's and Persians to pour money into and get zero out off in terms of taxes. But Caucasians are famous for their service as mercanary guardsmen across the middle east/Russia and provide Egypt with its Mamluke Cavalry. So if you butter up the right locals you may get some handy guard units out of it plus free passage to cross the passes when you next want to invade Persia, Ottoman Empire, Russia (delete as required).

Try and cross the passes without paying the right people for guides etc and your army may get several hundred tons of mountain side dropped on it! and you may never see you messengers again!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm