Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Apologies and Cantonment Question

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Apologies and Cantonment Question Empty Apologies and Cantonment Question

Post by The Revenant Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:58 am

Dear All - first of all apologies for a long absence from the Forum. I have been playing all the while! (just in a position not much affected by many of the topics raised and discussed). But now I do have a question. I recall using in a previous position the "cantonment system" for economically employing stood-down units, but can't find the rules anywhere (and have lost the link to the excellent Index previously provided in the forum). Can anyone help? (of course you can!)
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Apologies and Cantonment Question Empty Re: Apologies and Cantonment Question

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 pm

Good to see you're still around Smile

Brother consult the Book of Revelations page 4
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 pm

Ha - instant and full responses, thanks all. Knew I could rely on you! Anyone erlse botherd by having too many recruits/ too large an army??? Smile Smile

Marshal Bombast likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:28 pm

The Revenant wrote:Ha - instant and full responses, thanks all.  Knew I could rely on you!  Anyone erlse botherd by having too many recruits/ too large an army??? Smile Smile

Anytime.

Not a problem when needing recruits for road patrol and 200K recruits for Priests etc. I like to have troops inactive to call up if loses were to happen and don't feel I've got enough ever lol
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Don't fancy any African recuits for the Priesthood, then? (Would need converting from nature-worship first, of course,,,)
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:16 pm

While the Tsar's in all of the games are likely open to correspondence from other nations you might find it better to disband the units and invest them in trade or retrain them as Priests, Physicians, Magistrates, Vets, Night Soilmen units, Road Patrols. I know I'm thinking European versions but I'm sure there'd be some equivalent to be of use.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:51 pm

Thanks for the thinks! Actually I've just tried to invest them all in trade (nightsoilmen I have). Not many ("realistic") alternatives with more sophisticated trainings/employments (and next year will bring another swamping wave of the idle unemployed...)
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:35 pm

Have you tried 'chatting' with Bard or Bing about your nation (not sure which you're playing). I've just asked about the Rozwi and Akan nations and it's given a lot of insight to help inspire ways forward if I was playing them and might help with suggestions of what to do
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:52 am

Always open to ideas... But have to sorrily confess not recognising Bard and Bing (a firm of solicitors? a comedy double-act?)
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:22 pm

The Revenant wrote:Always open to ideas...  But have to sorrily confess not recognising Bard and Bing (a firm of solicitors? a comedy double-act?)

Bing and Bard have both passed the American legal bar exams and medical exams.

Bing's Microsoft's AI chat bot (https://www.bing.com/) and Bard is Google's AI chat bot (https://bard.google.com/chat), just don't trust everything they say as they've been known to get it wrong and quite spectacularly at times lol.

Also don't give them any personal information as a free resource anything you give them maybe shared etc.

Stay safe out there Smile
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 am

Using AI to play pbms!? Now there's an idea. (Hoping Richard doesn't pick up on it. He gives me enough problems now.) I do have an excellent book on my subject-area, but that doesn't always help with fitting GoK-type procedures into (hoped-for) results. Especially there's the over-riding economic model of the game, particulary in the tough G10 version. Versus the real world I don't have near enough gold mines!
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 am

I don't use AI for PBM often, only if stuck finding research information - have you ever looked for a white paper about white papers on search engines? It's not easy but chatting with AI can point you in right direction but any answers need verifying. It can be repetative getting the same answers in a different phrasing though!

Game mechanics aren't too bad once having an understanding of the purpose. Papa once posted on here that his nation had a plague and his ministers advised opening a hospital which then helped stop the plague so gives an idea what hospitals are partly for. Like any game of this type just need to understand the mind of the GM and what the game is trying to achieve/create experience wise...
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am

"Know thy enemy" then! Smile Smile

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:12 am

Must admit Jason2 had understood the honour table in G10 really well. I need to read more what he was doing in the paper and try to replicate. Seems Saxony and Prussia are doing well with that too!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 pm

The Revenant wrote:Don't fancy any African recuits for the Priesthood, then?  (Would need converting from nature-worship first, of course,,,)

Think of "Priests" as being the "local version of holy men", the term isn't religion-specific. If in doubt, ask Richard what he thinks is the appropriate term for your position.

As China, I asked Richard and as a result I ended up with a mix of Buddhist, Confucian and "Ancestor worship" priests

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:42 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:Must admit Jason2 had understood the honour table in G10 really well. I need to read more what he was doing in the paper and try to replicate.  Seems Saxony and Prussia are doing well with that too!

Well, a lot of it was down to standing up to Johnny Foreigner when he tried to be rude to/insulted/patronised/ordered around Scotland...basically I was doing the Glory version of being in a pub late at night in Glasgow or Aberdeen when it all kicked off, I was grabbing a bottle, smashing it on the bar and going "laddie are ye lookng at me"

Strangely it worked

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:06 am

Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:Must admit Jason2 had understood the honour table in G10 really well. I need to read more what he was doing in the paper and try to replicate.  Seems Saxony and Prussia are doing well with that too!

Well, a lot of it was down to standing up to Johnny Foreigner when he tried to be rude to/insulted/patronised/ordered around Scotland...basically I was doing the Glory version of being in a pub late at night in Glasgow or Aberdeen when it all kicked off, I was grabbing a bottle, smashing it on the bar and going "laddie are ye lookng at me"

Strangely it worked

Ref improvements to your "Honour Score" and also "Economic Healh" it probably should be noted that what works for one position may not work for all positions or even at all times for the same position.

Likewise the ever popular grabbing a bottle, smashing it on the bar and going "laddie are you looking at me" approach to dealing with Johnny Foreign types may work great. But is helps to not try it on the wrong Foreign types.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:10 am

Marshal Bombast wrote:While the Tsar's in all of the games are likely open to correspondence from other nations you might find it better to disband the units and invest them in trade or retrain them as Priests, Physicians, Magistrates, Vets, Night Soilmen units, Road Patrols. I know I'm thinking European versions but I'm sure there'd be some equivalent to be of use.

In one position I did experiment with the cantonment system, and like Marshall implies, found the results to be very mixed.  In theory it is a great idea ... I inherited a lot of recruits tied up in inactive low quality units.  If I wanted to do anything with them then I had to make them active which would have cost a lot of money I didn't have.  And in any case the risk of being invaded was minimal and I had no intention of declaring war on anyone either.  I also had a large enough recruit pile to cover civilian uses to build up priests, doctors, vets, etc, at a reasonable rate over a number of game years.  Economy was fairly weak so I placed 75% of them into the cantonment system expecting a big boost in income and EH.  Result was barely noticeable.

I didn't want to disband them and free up the recruits for 2 main reasons:
    1. I thought it would have reduced honour
    2. If I was unlucky and someone did declare war on me (it does seem to happen rather frequently in positions I play), then because the economy was relatively weak I would struggle to be able to afford to raise them again and train them.

But with hindsight I could have disbanded some of them and 'invested' them directly in boosting trade, and if I did this I would have had much more control over investing in specific products.  I suspect that the nature of the cantonment system is that they would have been spending their 10 months of the year helping 'internal' trade, and so because the economy (the internal economy) was relatively weak anyway, the returns were low.  If I had invested them in foreign trade or merchant ships then perhaps it would have given me a greater return.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm

Ref the Cantonment system I suspect that like many things in Glori it works best for positions which used this system or systems like it historically.

Swedes for instance had a system where each 3/4 farm's were responsible for the provision and upkeep of a fully equiped soldier. In peacetime soldiers joined their regional regiments for a few weeks/month training and rest of the time lived/worked on one of the farm's.

While the bulk of the Ottoman Cavalry were still semi feadal in that they were not paid by the state but were granted right to collect tax imcome from some land and generally some land of their own for their and their horses upkeep in exchange for period of service every year - either on campaign, guarding frontiers or keeping law and order and spent rest of year on fief. Fief not really being the right word since it was in theory a tax farm/right to income rather than direct land ownership but by 1700 things had often blurred so many families both farmed the land and were the Saphi tax farmer.

And had changed from Soldiers supportted by a tax farm into land owners/farmers who provided part time military service or sometimes some other service in exchange for land and tax concessions.

Basically in game the Cantonment system is of most use to positions like Sweden and the Ottomans who start with huge armies which than can not afford but do not totally want to totally disband since they might have to raise them again.

In G9 Ottoman have worked on calling putting large numbers of troops into Cantonment which section trains. Then when that section and their horses fully trained they go back too their farms etc and fresh batch called up. Seems to work ok but question does arise in time of war will the Government have saved enough to call up whole army and if mass mobilization happened what would it do too economic health? I suspect no good.

One possible advantage with this system is that it makes it very hard for hostile agents to identify position and number of forces they are likely to be oposed by. Though in G9 can not think why anyone would want to attack the friendly and loveable Sultan and his equally loveable and loyal Pasha of Rumelia. albino

Nexus06 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 pm