Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
Kingmaker
The Revenant
6 posters

The Honourable Company

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

The Honourable Company Empty The Honourable Company

Post by The Revenant Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Can anyone enlighten me a little on how the HWIC operates (in general terms) within the game? Do they have a geographical HQ, for example...

All tid-bits gratefully gristed in the mill
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The Honourable Company Empty Re: The Honourable Company

Post by Kingmaker Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:04 pm

I think its based in England London not too sure....
    tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2008-10-26

Post by tek_604 Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 am

I've often thought about similar things myself, mostly when I was playing the UDP.

How can the UDP control operations in the Far East? The same would go for Parliament controlling the actions of the HEIC.

Dutch operations in the Far East were all under the control of the VOC, which would have essentially acted alone, maybe within some diplomatic framework laid down from The Hague, with its base at Batavia.

Always seems to me that the VOC should be played by someone Smile
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 348
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I think the HWIC or the Company they call themselves are pretty honourable. They seem to have a base in the Caribbean but their people are found in France, Spain, Africa, England, Scotland and the UDP. They are not aligned to any nation but both Spain and France have wooed them I believe. Not sure why they have such a high honour score but then I could wright and ask them! Question

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Regor wrote:I think the HWIC or the Company they call themselves are pretty honourable. They seem to have a base in the Caribbean but their people are found in France, Spain, Africa, England, Scotland and the UDP. They are not aligned to any nation but both Spain and France have wooed them I believe. Not sure why they have such a high honour score but then I could wright and ask them! Question

Are you refering to the HWIC in G7?

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Yep, that would be them - what do you know? Smile

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 am

The are independant of England with fingers in many pies, Spain and France in particular. I couldn’t say for sure where they are based but the have offices in a lot of places around the world. They are widely thought of as being honourable and trustworthy, and undoubtedly have many secrets to tell (if you could get them to share of course).

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:33 am

Ahhh. Thank you. Post more please if you get it! Cool
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:56 am

Stuart Bailey seems to think quite poorly of the HWIC (Game 7) any thoughts? (See previous posting in France v England pg 17(?)
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Whist I'm Not involved in Game 7, it could well be that the HWIC has a high honour score because it is basically a merchant based position. If it is a sussessful business then it's shareholders would hold the board in high esteem.
    If they have offices all over Europe that could be the case.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Playing a trading company must be difficult at the best of times and the player has been doing so successfully since 1700 which deserves some respect. He has had to contend with a number of wars which must have been rather damaging to his trade, and persistent pirate attacks. Twisted Evil

As far as I know HWIC has tried very hard to stay out of politics and focus on making profits for its shareholders. If it can successfully do these things, then it deserves all its success. There were other trading companies at the start of the game, but I don't know what happened to them.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

The Honourable Company Empty The Hon West India Company & Running Trade Companies in Glory du Roi

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I would just like to say that I agree with the "Real Louis" and second him in saying that the Directors of the HWIC in game 7 have done a 1st rate job for their shareholders and customers. Avoiding such hazards as pirates who think they are traitors to the Brotherhood, English Governments who think they are Pirates/potential Jacobites & the French over running their their original base areas they have managed to bring the Slaves, Tobacco & Sugar home and to date avoid the hangman. Not bad at all for a bunch of ex Pirates, Smugglers, Convicts and brothel keepers of mixed (mostly English Nationality).

This is all the more impressive when you consider that the HWIC in 1700 is clearly a weaker position than the HEIC and the Dutch VOIC. Like the HEIC its registered office is London and in theory its an English conpany but with its main HQ elsewhere (I believe in game 7 the main trade etc base was Jamaica). But unlike the HEIC and the VOIC it does not actually control its main base.

Also in 1700 if Spain keeps its trade monopoly with Spanish America in place much of the companies starting trade is in theory at least "smuggling" which is another reason along with the Slave Tradeing why the HWIC is the grubby nasty one of the three main trade company positions.

Normally I would say that to run the HWIC you need a Friendly English Government which views you as honest merchants in need of help and is not adverse to sending the Navy to bully Spanish Customs and African Tribes. Not sure if the HWIC in game 7 has ever had this back up & I think the company may have at the very least "considered" if a Stuart King might not suit them better.

To a degree the question of who is running England seems a lot less important to the 1705 Multi National Holding Company and its many subsidaries. Since Spain went down the free trade route without being bullied down it by the RN, HWIC Shares are now quoted on lots of exchanges as well as London and most of their ships are no longer registered in England.

Clearly on object lesson in how to run a trade company in game 7 ........basically you need to be a natural diplomat who's only loyalty is to the cash and you also need a full time flag maker and a printing press to keep up with all the ship re-registrations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am