Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

Universities,etc? benefit without specific instructions?

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Universities,etc?  benefit without specific instructions? Empty Universities,etc? benefit without specific instructions?

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

I was wondering if any one knows for certain if any academies have an effect upon a nation just by existing?

For instance, if I opened universities in a number of my cities, will that have any short/long-term effect on my nation if I don't have them doing particular research or training people? In a 'normal world' one would presume they'd have a long term beneficial effect on the economy, but I wonder if they do in game?

Universities,etc?  benefit without specific instructions? Empty Re: Universities,etc? benefit without specific instructions?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Interesting question. I don't think they do. In different games I have had mixed success with universities/academies. Military/naval ones tend to have easily defined improvements to research in the rules. Others (like stud farms) can show incremental improvement over time. But the further you get away from specific benefits, the less use they seem to be. Either that or it could be a super long term project which is taking several years to show any benefit.
    Perhaps you need to have universal education first?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Universities,etc?  benefit without specific instructions? Empty Re: Universities,etc? benefit without specific instructions?

Post by Deacon Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes, the naval/military ones seem straight forward, but I wonder about the other ones. In Game 8 some of the NPCs were calling for some of the German states to open universities, but I wondered whether they'd actually get any benefit for doing so if they didn't task the university with some kind of research, or put men in them to train for something.

I noted in Carte Blanche, the new supplement what was required to have proper water on a ship. There were like 4 or 5 inventions in series that needed to be done!

Unless you're late in the game with real money to burn, I just don't see how players could have the patience for working on something that will probably take a decade of real world time to accomplish in-game!

It did make me wonder if Richard had ever considered running an accelerated game. Each Turn was two months or a quarter, so time would pass much more quickly.

As Kingmaker says, it helps to have a clear 5 year plan. I just wish it didn't take 5 real years to accomplish! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 am