Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

3 posters

Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover

Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover Empty Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I've taken on Hanover (or more accurately Hanover-Brunswick) in G2.

What are the appropriate titles for an electoral nation to use? By this I mean, is it appropriate for it to use the the title "Royal" in institutions (such as "Royal Medical Academy") or should it use another title (like "Electoral Medical Academy")?

This Hanover has a navy (on the order of other Jason's 'yacht club' Wink ), what would be an appropriate prefix for its ships? Would H Hanoverian MS be right? Or would it be wrong for an electoral prince to use the word 'Majesty' in this sort of context? If so, can anyone suggest what might be approrpriate?

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover Empty Re: Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 am

Just to confuse matters even more for you in Game 2 George Elector of
    Hanover also holds Royal Titles (England & I believe Scotland) outside of the Holy Roman Empire.

So the Position is a bit like in 1700 when the Elector of Saxony is King of Poland or the Elector of Brandenburg is also King in Prussia. So perhaps the Electorial or Hanovarian Navy becomes a Royal Navy once it leaves Inperial Waters?

Historically, George as Elector seems to have hired the whole Hanovarian Army to himself as King and it became the KGL (Kings German Legion).

I suspect the Chief Minister of Hanover (you) may have to spend quite a while talking to the Emperor about titles you can use in the Empire and even more time talking to the King/Elector (Agema) and the Kings Prime Minister in England (another player) about funding and foriegn policy.

Key issue seems to be that the King is at war with the French. But is he also at war with the French as Elector of Hanover? Do the French see any difference bwtween George King & George Elector?

Bet the French Navy is really scared now King George's Navy has been reinfored by the mighty Hanoverian yacht club!

Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover Empty Re: Appropriate Titles for use in Hanover

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 am

In G2 though George is King of England, he isn't Elector of Hanover...his son, George, is. It seems older George abdicated to become the English King...and I am playing the younger George who took over...

So other than family ties, there aren't any governmental links between England and Hanover-Brunswick.

Though I suspect the French admirals are losing a few nights sleep, constantly laughing at the idea of the naval might of Hanover Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Jason wrote:In G2 though George is King of England, he isn't Elector of Hanover...his son, George, is. It seems older George abdicated to become the English King...and I am playing the younger George who took over...

So other than family ties, there aren't any governmental links between England and Hanover-Brunswick.

Though I suspect the French admirals are losing a few nights sleep, constantly laughing at the idea of the naval might of Hanover Wink

Does this mean Hanoverian Foreign Policy is now "Anyone tries to bully me into joining the Confederation of the Rhine or closer unity with the Prussian Empire (Sorry I mean Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation).........and I am going to get my Dad on you!!!!!"

I look forward to seeing the Press publish the Dear Dad letters:

"Dear Dad, nasty Danes are being horrid and will not let my yacht squadron sail in Baltic so I have borrowed your North Sea fleet.........your son George."

"Dear Mum, nothing to worry about but can you please inform Dad I have crashed the Victory in the Sound"

"Dear Son.......Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh............who put go faster strips and 32 pounders on my Frigates???? Lord Hawke says he can not open the lower gun ports without sinking them in anything more than a Baltic calm. Also I dont care if your no good Prussian Friends
    have one.......you are never to take one of my 100 Gunners racing in the Baltic ever again.........your Father George.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Very Happy

Looking at some of the older letters I've been sent, I think son was more worried Daddy was going to decide Son hadn't been looking after Hanover properly and was going to take it away from him.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:53 am

That was certainly the spin when I tried to talk NPC Hanover round, he was scared France or England would invade, so went for armed neutrality, with the priviso that if the Hungarians invaded Brandenburg he was willing to mobolize. You wonder why I think NPC negotiations are a pain.

Hanover is an Electorate ( Furstum ) an integral part of the HRR. As a Prince you are adressed as "Your Highness," As for ships not sure there are KMS Kriegsmarineschiff, RMS Reichmarineshiff, SMS Seine Majestäts Schiff.

Acadamies cannot technically use the Royal title, Electoral titles should I beleive be used. It maybe possable to get special permission from the Kaiser to use Imperial institutional names, I guess you'll just have to ask him via diplomatic channels.

If you do decide to paint the go -faster strips, I would advise you to go for red ones , they definatly look faster.

As for the Prussians having a 100 gun ship, Your having a laugh aren't you.........

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for that Jason Smile

So the "Electoral School of Medicine" would be an acceptable title?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 am

I think the Nobility of the Holy Römanisches Reich will find that acceptable, of course only as long as those of Noble birth are treated by the Graduates, nothing like that for the common riff-raff.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

As the Elector of Hanover you are a Kurfürst, or Electrol Prince, as opposed to other Fürsten Princes of the Empire. your heir would be a Kurprinz, Your Electorate a Kurfürstentum. An Electoral institution could use Kurfürstlich in it's title.

As a Prince you are then your Highness or Höheit in official address.

Maybe parts of the Hanovarien Rowing Club would also bear the title. SHS Seine Hoheits Schiff?

Hope that helps a bit. If a Native German speaker can check the spelling of the German bits I'd be grateful. Danke.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Jason

That's extremely helpful, afraid I have enough troubles with English most of the time Very Happy

SHS does sound good...now to start naming its ships Wink
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 am

What both of them, i htink you may be taking things to far.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Bah, i'll have you know I have at least three Very Happy
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Do you mean to start an arms race That means I have to build at least two to catch up with you, darn.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Soon you will quake (with laughter I suspect) at my Navy Very Happy
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm

You've gotten yourself a navy as well, I suppose I'll have to see if I can find out how to make one of those as well. Drat.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 am

Try having a look in google at Kurhannover armee, I haven't found any info about the navy though. found the Kur brandenburg navy though had 33 ships in 1689, ok some were Britisch corsairs.

Naming of the gunboats was original though "Kannonboot 1,2,3,4."

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm

I must be honest, I have used this website to help draw up a game OoB for the army that is fairly historic for the time http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page

Like you, can't find anything for a Hanover Navy but I think given the un-historic nature of its colonies in G2, there I am simply going to have fun with its names and size Smile

I did also use this a little http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/hanover.htm but have found it a better website for other armies (Denmark for example), it's a useful resource I think for Baltic armies at the start of the game.
    Frank
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2009-11-29

Post by Frank Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm

A few corrections:

As address you should use Königliche Hoheit if you want use the german term. This is the correct address for an Kurfürst.

SHS for ships doesn´t exit. Prussia use SMS but as Hannover had no navy in this times you should use only the name for a ship.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks Frank Smile

That is the problem with trying to create a fictional navy in a vaguely historical way Smile

But it is an interesting point, Hanover gains access to the see via Bremen yet doesn't develop a navy-is the assumption that they don't need one because the RN will do the job?
    Frank
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2009-11-29

Post by Frank Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:51 pm

The problem was that an navy was very expensive. Brandenburg-Preußen disband her Navy in 1711 and sold her colonial possessions because the profit from the colonies was smaller than the maintenance costs for the navy.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Now, you see that has always puzzled me. Prussia would have known that one of its prime threats was Sweden, which has a reasonable navy. Surely, some sort of navy was essential to counter the Scandinavian threat of coastal raids?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 am

Prussia historically decided that it should concentrate its efforts on land, it simply decided not to enter into the maritime side of things. It's merchant marine was also not that large. I suppose the limited resources avaliable simply ment that this choice had to be made.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Good point Smile Manpower and money can only go so far Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 pm