Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+6
Nexus06
Ardagor
J Flower
Rozwi_Game10
Deacon
The Revenant
10 posters

Longest Game?

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Longest Game? Empty Longest Game?

Post by The Revenant Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 am

In a recent posting on the Game 8 thread, revvaughan mentioned a game where he took over playing England in 1733. Game 8 is currently 1708 and I don't imagine I (the player, not the monarch - though him too!) will actually live to see it reach 1733. Which made me wonder, what's the latest year that any game of GoK has run to. Anyone know (or hazard a guess)?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Longest Game? Empty Re: Longest Game?

Post by Deacon Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

My first game was game 3 and I joined in in 1735 or something. I dropped in 1738 or so and I think it ran another year or so before folding.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm

I think I was also involved in the Game II that Prussia was strong in and revvaughan's GB had to deal with my Pirate shenanigans at Jamaica. Definitely the game was into the 1730s, and the turns turn-around was fast. Maybe two weeks all-told iirc (receive it, you got 5 or so days to do your turn, then post it back off through the mail and your getting it sent back to you pretty soon after). My turn orders were a lot shorter, fewer and less explained or pursued in-depth, and my payments were always within the normal turn costs, if anyone is wondering.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:27 pm

If I remember rightly Game two got up into the early 1740s
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I played in Game 3 from 1736 until the end, the last turn was November 1741.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:40 pm

At the actual turnover of game 9, which is 1 turn=1 month, being in 1705 we will be in 1740 35 years from now, which is dangerously near my full life expectancy.

BUT being one of the youngest players on the forum i am hopeful that my actual "game nemesis" might actually die of natural causes before my, providing an interesting chance to actually win a battle against him Smile
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Nexus06 wrote:At the actual turnover of game 9, which is 1 turn=1 month, being in 1705 we will be in 1740 35 years from now, which is dangerously near my full life expectancy.

BUT being one of the youngest players on the forum i am hopeful that my actual "game nemesis" might actually die of natural causes before my, providing an interesting chance to actually win a battle against him Smile

This actual made me chuckle out loud and I like it a lot as a game plan. Ok guys who is older than me ? I am changing my ingame strategy
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Ardagor wrote:I played in Game 3 from 1736 until the end, the last turn was November 1741.

1741 - so even if that game was running at two months per real month that's still 20 years of investment for anyone in at the start! Did anyone actually make it the whole distance, I wonder?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm

I believe the players of England and Spain was in the game from the start. It lasted about 25 years in real time.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm

G3 England was in from start to finish marathon game from him, he played the position very well
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

England was not very happy with me for refusing to accept a poor peace treaty with France and the Germans/Austrians which he kept attacking in the newspaper.
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes, I played game 3 from start to finish from 1989 and expect game 10 to go the same way lol. Ardagor what country were you in game 3? Game finished because I understand England player dropped due to issues with gameplay.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Played Denmark for some years in G3, my first game. The England player did help me understand the game better
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 am

One of the German players declared war on England after a newspaper quarrel and the England player demanded that Richard stop the war or he would drop out. So the game ended.
    I was Americas Republic and I had big plans for 1742.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 am

Ardagor wrote:One of the German players declared war on England after a newspaper quarrel and the England player demanded that Richard stop the war or he would drop out. So the game ended.

Curious that after 25 years of playing well, the player would think he could demand such a thing of Richard... or perhaps it was "because"..?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

The Real Louis wrote:
    Ardagor wrote:One of the German players declared war on England after a newspaper quarrel and the England player demanded that Richard stop the war or he would drop out. So the game ended.

Curious that after 25 years of playing well, the player would think he could demand such a thing of Richard...  or perhaps it was "because"..?

Must admit, am very surprised at that. A strange reaction to a declaration of war
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:46 am

Jason wrote:Played Denmark for some years in G3, my first game. The England player did help me understand the game better

same here I played poland John Sobieski
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Richard's not planning on retiring anytime soon, I hope! lol!

Though I've no idea how I'd get my 'LGDR-fix' should the game ever stop. Cold turkey...Aargh! pale
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Jason wrote:Played Denmark for some years in G3, my first game. The England player did help me understand the game better

I want to say that I played Game 3 as Denmark as well. I think my character was the Crown Prince (after marrying the kings only daughter). I left it when I became active in Game 2.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Kingmaker wrote:G3 England was in from start to finish marathon game from him, he played the position very well

i used to play pope Clemente in that game, in game year was 1709. Dropped after a couple of year for lack of interest in the position. My friend Paolo was (aldready form time) grand duke cosimo of tuscany.

I can remember the jacobite english as a fantastic player, at least from my experience, and also a majestic "mainz, trier, saar" player, at least to say huge in honour.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:30 pm

My interactions with the game 3 English player were a bit odd. I picked up the Pope in 1735. Good position to learn the game on, and I messed up plenty. But I mostly did ok, I think, in the roleplay bit of it.

English player wanted me to hear his confession on a visit to Rome. I suggested to him that a catholic king letting his child being raised as a protestant was an error. He went off on me on that. I then declined to hear his confession (in so much as he didn't seem contrite to me), and that his own confessor could hear it. Then he REALLY went off. Said that he wanted to duel me. He said all these things in public. Felt that I had to excommunicate him for attacking the teaching authority of the church.

Life made me drop the game not long after, though this interaction made me not too upset about that ...

It also made me realize it really was hard to join a game that mature and really be a part of it. So much history other players were carrying around that you didn't even know existed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 pm