Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
Papa Clement
one grain of grain
Ardagor
WhiteRose
The Revenant
Kingmaker
count-de-monet
Hapsburg
Rozwi_Game10
revvaughan
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
J Flower
Mike
Deacon
tkolter
21 posters

Game 10

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Game 10 - Page 30 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:20 pm

Jason2 wrote:I think I need to open a Paris branch of MacBeth, Taggart and Rebus, a renowned company of Scottish lawyers

I have just been called a Russian (see above notes) can I sue?

Surely this is really wounding to a Naval Character!?
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:I think I need to open a Paris branch of MacBeth, Taggart and Rebus, a renowned company of Scottish lawyers

What's wrong with being a Russian? Sounds like a libel case to me, or worse a hate crime.

Actually forget the lawyers. Just wait there while the Tsar's knout is retrieved for the interrogation.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Kerensky wrote:@ Marshal Bombast

@ Stuart Bailey

An enjoyable attempt at Russian Maskirovka...

It is the trials & tribulations of being a Corsair you face, rather than those faced by a fine upstanding Doge, with an impeccable honour and standing in high society..

& fear not, our medical services stand ready to thwart your dastardly schemes!

What trials and tribulaions is the fine upstanding Doge of Venice suffering!? Apart from having his lands trampled on by Austrian armies who now seem in a rush to leave Italy for some reason.

Wonder if the Austrians are in such a rush to leave Italy due to recent outbreaks of the STD known as the Italian Pox (in France) and the French Pox (in Italy) but which actually believed to have been brought to Europe from the America's by the Spanish.  So probably should be called the American or Spanish Pox.

Naples was such a breeding ground for this condition that it lead to the saying "See Naples and Die".........so I hope your Medical services have a good supply of Mercury which was the standard treatment for this condition in 1700.  Though some Doctors were starting to believe it may be a "Kill and does not cure" treatment.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:

What's wrong with being a Russian?  Sounds like a libel case to me, or worse a hate crime.  

Actually forget the lawyers. Just wait there while the Tsar's knout is retrieved for the interrogation.

Nothing wrong with being Russian.

For whats wrong with being called a Russian Sailor........I refer you Jason Flower and to the history of the Russian Navy in G7

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 am

@ Stuart Bailey

The trials & tribulations of a Doge of Genoa are many...

Which or how many tonight?
    Tops or Tails?
    Front or Back?
    Active or Passive?
    It never ends, and the constant decision making truly wears you out.

You are good at Russian Maskirovka. Almost as good as me. Almost (?)

On the medical concerns in Naples, it looks as if it is a newly identified strain of disease (based on the detailed and exhaustive medical investigation reported in the Mercurius), but a useful bit of history.

The Doge believes prevention is better than cure. His personal mantra is:
    ‘Avoid night butterflies. Other men’s wives are much safer!’

Just in case, Surgeon-General Kerensky & his crack medical team are back on standby...
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:

What's wrong with being a Russian?  Sounds like a libel case to me, or worse a hate crime.  

For whats wrong with being called a Russian Sailor........I refer you Jason Flower and to the history of the Russian Navy in G7

Quite, being called a Russian sailor is possibly the worst insult that could be levelled at a mariner, I think Mr Bailey has a strong case and my lawyers will be happy to represent him...and our rates of commission are quite reasonable...
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:

Quite, being called a Russian sailor is possibly the worst insult that could be levelled at a mariner, I think Mr Bailey has a strong case and my lawyers will be happy to represent him...and our rates of commission are quite reasonable...

Having researched some more I find I have to agree. My apologies to the honourable gentlemen.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 am

Kerensky wrote:@ Stuart Bailey

The trials & tribulations of a Doge of Genoa are many...

Which or how many tonight?
    Tops or Tails?
    Front or Back?
    Active or Passive?
    It never ends, and the constant decision making truly wears you out.

You are good at Russian Maskirovka. Almost as good as me. Almost (?)

On the medical concerns in Naples, it looks as if it is a newly identified strain of disease (based on the detailed and exhaustive medical investigation reported in the Mercurius), but a useful bit of history.

The Doge believes prevention is better than cure. His personal mantra is:
    ‘Avoid night butterflies. Other men’s wives are much safer!’

Just in case, Surgeon-General Kerensky & his crack medical team are back on standby...

Trials and tribulations of the Privateering Branch of the French Navy inc Friends, lovers and shareholders currently include:

- Not nice people in the Imperial Diet inc 3 Electors & 14 members of the College of Princes who have just placed our beloved Chairman under the Imperial Ban!.........when the list of these shameless men who insulted a member of the House of Bourbon and nephew of Louis XIV gets posted up the fact that each one has a black spot my his name is purely a highlight (honest Twisted Evil )

- What to do with undrinkable Wine from Genoa.......currently plan to sale it cheap to English Inn Keepers to supply to young ladies as a sweet grape juice.

- Political pressure from Italy to stop pressing Fisherman into the Royal Bourbon Navy of Spain......have had to look into the whole issue of passes, the press and convoy costs. Sod putting a trained doctor on every privateer I am thinking what I am starting to think that all Privateers need to sail with a trained lawyer on board.

- Trigger happy senior French Admirals who clearly did not read my report from the London Naval Conference.

- Trying to explain to the boss how a unguarded troop convoy got into Genoa.

This Privateering lark is a bit of a poser.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Marshal, that certain well known legal team have advised me that your apology will only be accepted if accompanied by a sizeable charitable donation to the Society for the Alleviation of Distress to Poor Honest Privateers
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 am

Jason2 wrote:Marshal, that certain well known legal team have advised me that your apology will only be accepted if accompanied by a sizeable charitable donation to the Society for the Alleviation of Distress to Poor Honest Privateers

Having checked with officers in the Glorious G10 Russian Navy, they assure me that this is the finest Navy Russia has ever had and that the Privateers. They then went on to explain about alternate/parallel universe theory, which goes something like there is a parallel universe where every different action is possible. Given the evidence provided to date it seems that Mr Bailey and his legal team have picked all of the worst case scenarios that they can find and is nothing like the universe we are currently in.

The above sounds a bit heretical to Orthodox ears but given the Russian Navy was in fine form as reported in last month's paper, and being fairly open minded I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hereby withdraw the apology offer, especially as it sounds like the Privateers are getting a bit greedy. The money saved from this legal case will be used to provide for those who are truly in need.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:40 am

Marshal Bombast wrote:Having checked with officers in the Glorious G10 Russian Navy, they assure me that this is the finest Navy Russia has ever had

Isn't this a bit like saying you're the world's tallest midget,or that you play international football for Scotland? tongue

Who would believe it, after earlier incidents, that the Scottish legal system would end up defending Stuart and his merry band of sailors...
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:Having checked with officers in the Glorious G10 Russian Navy, they assure me that this is the finest Navy Russia has ever had  

Who would believe it, after earlier incidents, that the Scottish legal system would end up defending Stuart and his merry band of sailors...

I suspect the merry band are paying legal fees out of all the booty they have salvaged from shipping that had previously gone missing Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:

I suspect the merry band are paying legal fees out of all the booty they have salvaged from shipping that had previously gone missing Wink

First they call my character a a Russian! Now it is being implied that he is a wrecker!! I want my lawyer!!!

Would like to point out that no ships have gone "missing" due to the actions of the Privateering Branch of the French Navy.....they have all been correctly pressed into the the Bourbon Spanish Navy or they have been the totally legal subjects of letters of Marque and French Prize Courts which fully comply the rules and regulations set down in the London Naval Conference.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Uh, sorry about the French Admirals being trigger happy. My research confirms that at this time the French Admiralty tended to court martial French Admirals who didn't take a positive approach to their tasks......
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:19 pm

I wish to you inform all and sundry that MacBeth, Taggart and Rebus are happy to defend Stuart in this matter, and they will lay charges against Marshal of slander, defamation of character, impugning Mr Bailey's good name, and character assassination.

Given the seriousness of the charges, we will insist that the death penalty is the only suitable punishment for this level of insult.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:24 pm

One was merely posing a thought as to how the legal fees may have been funded. Nothing was stated about wrecking anything - guilty conscience perhaps?

Anyway there is no slander case to answer as the honourable law firm well knows, and besides we're using Russian law over here.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:32 pm

As this is a maritime case, G10 has established Scottish Law applies...and we are invoking the well known Glaswegian precedent of "You looking at me, Pal"...

(warning: this post may contain nuts)
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Jason2 wrote:As this is a maritime case, G10 has established Scottish Law applies...and we are invoking the well known Glaswegian precedent of "You looking at me, Pal"...

Unfortunately the flaw in your legal argument is that you're saying that Russia is not a maritime nation and therefore maritime law cannot apply.

Anyway Делать из мухи слона - you're making an elephant out of a fly
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:As this is a maritime case, G10 has established Scottish Law applies...and we are invoking the well known Glaswegian precedent of "You looking at me, Pal"...

Unfortunately the flaw in your legal argument is that you're saying that Russia is not a maritime nation and therefore maritime law cannot apply.

Not at all, simply that Scottish law is superior in regards maritime matters.

I will happily acknowledge Russia is a maritime nation...esp given its navy's habit of sinking, no other nation has so many of its subjects underwater

(this is fun Smile )
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:

Not at all, simply that Scottish law is superior in regards maritime matters.

I will happily acknowledge Russia is a maritime nation...esp given its navy's habit of sinking, no other nation has so many of its subjects underwater

(this is fun Smile )

I think the superiority argument will fall to Stair, Bell and Erskine and Shafirov, Martens, Kozhevnikov, Hrabar, and Tunkin rather than our esteemed selves.

What Russia is up to under the waves is of no concern to the Scots honest. Now where did we put that hose?

I'm enjoying it too, but need some sleep as meeting Head of HR tomorrow to discuss what I consider to be my unfair dismissal - so legal arguments prep all round Smile
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:30 am

That poor trigger happy French Admiral might have caused something he didn't desire when firing on the English flag!

I should note that I will be behind in letters this month due to some schedule issues.

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 pm

One enemy gone, one new enemy appears over the horizon, or over the sea might be more appropriate. Pity as I had hoped for good relations with our friends over the channel. Who knows, we might end up with a proper War of the Spanish Succession. But I doubt it as France doesn't want Spain and has publicly said so. We might have a version of the War of Jenkins Ear, which I never properly understood. So French Admirals, both Corsair and mainstream government Admirals will have to wait and see what happens. You would have thought that it would have been a good time to be an anti French Pope who was looking for allies to destroy the French :nap2
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Can you put it all down to a terrible misunderstanding and have the relevant French admiral hung from the nearest tree (afterall as well as sinking English ships, he did attack a French-held town)...pay the English some gold...and say "hey, that anti-French pope, he ain't too friendly to you English either..." Wink

If we must have a war, I insist it is named "The War of the Mayor's Ear"

now you must excuse me, if there is to be a war, I need to go and buy some maps of Paris and where the wine is kept, to give to my highlanders...
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:00 pm

So G10 is upon us...we have war. war and more war (and an active Spain again?) Game 10 - Page 30 2962972013 Game 10 - Page 30 3497527849

But the big question is when did the Corsairs convert to Islam? confused
    Mike
    Mike
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 83
    Registration date : 2018-09-08

Post by Mike Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm

2 kings , 1 regent and one chief Secretary . Thought I had got the hang of this then ....
    Looks like Spain is back ... thank goodness . Could do with the Pope telling everyone what to do though .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:45 pm