Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
Papa Clement
one grain of grain
Ardagor
WhiteRose
The Revenant
Kingmaker
count-de-monet
Hapsburg
Rozwi_Game10
revvaughan
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
J Flower
Mike
Deacon
tkolter
21 posters

Game 10

Game 10 - Page 38 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks Stuart, I think I am going to really enjoy working through this material.

Sun is already set over here, so will be tomorrow over a few cups of tea.

The Empress believes strategic and tactical certainty is important, in ones enemies.

I will share some of the material with the Empress & Contessa. All jokes aside, I have managed to generate a fair amount of interest in the game, with two of the ladies. One (the Contessa) has already joined (not G10), and the Empress is considering G10. The reaction to what we do has evolved from initial humour to interest (for these two), especially the time scales (month per turn). The rest still think I am crazy as a bag full of cats, but cheerfully aid with the occasional proof reading & happily join Doge Photo Opportunities.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Kerensky wrote:Thanks Stuart, I think I am going to really enjoy working through this material.

Sun is already set over here, so will be tomorrow over a few cups of tea.

The Empress believes strategic and tactical certainty is important, in ones enemies.

I will share some of the material with the Empress & Contessa. All jokes aside, I have managed to generate a fair amount of interest in the game, with two of the ladies. One (the Contessa) has already joined (not G10), and the Empress is considering G10. The reaction to what we do has evolved from initial humour to interest (for these two), especially the time scales (month per turn). The rest still think I am crazy as a bag full of cats, but cheerfully aid with the occasional proof reading & happily join Doge Photo Opportunities.

While played mostly for fun the Mega-games actually developed out of serious planning games, first played at Sandhurst.

Some of the urban disaster games have been adapted to help companies and organizations think about their disaster recovery. Zombie plague may be off the scale but if "Zombie Plague" = Really really dangerous form of bird flu......how did your organization cope?

Type of thing which probably works better with America's who want to been seen to go in for "out of the box" thinking than in the Far East or UK for that matter.

But if the Empress and Contessa ever agree to let you run your own Mega-Game might even pop across. Have noticed that European and American games feel very different, think a far eastern version would be interestingly different to both.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Looking for a little clarification in the Dark Heart of Africa here... Did the wedding of the Changamire Dombo and his Princess this month really take place in Abankeseso - or was that a mis-print?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:38 am

Looking at the paper it seems a bit confusing Abankeseso is mentioned twice once with an ambassador visiting & then again as site of a Royal Wedding, is the new bride a native of the place, that could explain why the wedding is taking place there.

An interesting point on Savoy, I may be wrong but as I understand it Savoy was raised to the status of Duchy in 1416. It was created when Sigismund, King of the Romans, raised the County of Savoy into a duchy for Amadeus VIII. The duchy was an Imperial fief, subject of the Holy Roman Empire with a vote in the Imperial Diet. From the 16th century, Savoy belonged to the Upper Rhine Circle. Savoy due to its geographical importance was part of the Kingdom of Germany rather than the Kingdom of Italy in Imperial matters

Some of the confusion arises because Holy roman Empire is seen by many to automatically mean ONLY Germany , It is true this is the part the Kaiser can expect the most support from exerts the most influence over. It is also where his power base is . However as King of the Romans he has claim the Kingdom of Germany, Kingdom of Italy & Kingdom of Burgundy. Control of the later two is debatable, but the title covers them. Historically the Hapsburg heir has been given the title King of the Germans to ease the election to the Imperial throne as King of the Romans. In a similar way to British heir being granted the title Prince of Wales.

Historically Savoy is a part of the German kingdom & therefore a part of the Holy Roman Empire.

In a similar way most of the Hapsburg lands are not in the Holy Roman Empire, rather they belong to the house of Hapsburg rather than the Holy Roman Empire, The vote from Bohemia is secured over the title of "Imperial Cup Bearer" rather than the lands or title of Bohemia, as Bohemia is Hapsburg rather than Imperial, Hungary & most of the newly acquired territory in the Balkans are the same. The reason being the House of Hapsburg has made sure it is the strongest dynasty in the Empire as funds for the Kaiser can only be directly drawn from "Imperial " Lands. By having the ability to draw on Imperial & Hapsburg territory they made themselves too powerful to be challenged. simply because other candidates cannot raise funds to challenge or fight them.

Hope this has helped clarify some of the Internal political confusion of the Holy Roman Empire.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 am

J Flower wrote:An interesting point on Savoy, I may be wrong but as I understand it Savoy was raised to the status of Duchy in 1416. It was created when Sigismund, King of the Romans, raised the County of Savoy into a duchy for Amadeus VIII. The duchy was an Imperial fief, subject of the Holy Roman Empire with a vote in the Imperial Diet. From the 16th century, Savoy belonged to the Upper Rhine Circle. Savoy due to its geographical importance was part of the Kingdom of Germany rather than the Kingdom of Italy in Imperial matters.

Some of the confusion arises because Holy Roman Empire is seen by many to automatically mean ONLY Germany. It is true this is the part the Kaiser can expect the most support from exerts the most influence over. It is also where his power base is. However as King of the Romans he has claim the Kingdom of Germany, Kingdom of Italy & Kingdom of Burgundy. Control of the later two is debatable, but the title covers them. Historically the Hapsburg heir has been given the title King of the Germans to ease the election to the Imperial throne as King of the Romans. In a similar way to British heir being granted the title Prince of Wales.

Historically Savoy is a part of the German kingdom & therefore a part of the Holy Roman Empire.

In a similar way most of the Hapsburg lands are not in the Holy Roman Empire, rather they belong to the house of Hapsburg rather than the Holy Roman Empire, The vote from Bohemia is secured over the title of "Imperial Cup Bearer" rather than the lands or title of Bohemia, as Bohemia is Hapsburg rather than Imperial, Hungary & most of the newly acquired territory in the Balkans are the same. The reason being the House of Hapsburg has made sure it is the strongest dynasty in the Empire as funds for the Kaiser can only be directly drawn from "Imperial" Lands. By having the ability to draw on Imperial & Hapsburg territory they made themselves too powerful to be challenged. simply because other candidates cannot raise funds to challenge or fight them.

Hope this has helped clarify some of the Internal political confusion of the Holy Roman Empire.

I agree with the point about the status of Savoy: clearly part of the Empire.

However although I do not wish to contradict JFlower’s experience as the longest serving Kaiser in the game, when it comes to titles it is even more confusing than he may realise. There is a huge difference between being King of a country and being King of a people; there is also some difference between the hereditary title of king and whether that title is elected or subsidiary of another title.

The title King of Germany is a difficult one. Emperor Leopold did claim it as a consequence of being elected Emperor, but it is arguable whether it was a separate title or simply an honorific because the country of Germany did not exist. During his lifetime Joseph Hapsburg (son of Emperor Leopold) was granted the title of King in Germany (NOT King of Germany) in 1690 and referred to as King of the Germans. This contrasts to his other title of King of Hungary (1687), Hungary being a Kingdom in its own right. The obvious parallel is with the Elector of Brandenburg who was granted the title of King in Prussia, not King of Prussia. That Emperor Leopold made this distinction does suggest it is important. Although on his coins it does say King of Germany, that could be for reasons of space and because he wanted the coin used throughout Germany.

It is also instructive that Emperor Leopold did not hold the title of King of Italy, nor even King of the Lombards. The title Holy Roman Emperor is usually formally referred to as Emperor of the Romans, but again this title is one which is elected (Emperor-elect) and is meaningless without Papal approval. The 2 are linked in the sense that the Emperor is usually crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy by the Pope, but of course that does not mean he becomes King of Lombardy or has any rights over that region of Italy. He also has no rights over the people of Rome (or the Papal States generally) so simply holding the title King (or Emperor) of the Romans is in itself rather meaningless.

Historically the title King of the Italians (Rex Italicorum) was used in the high Middle Ages until 1024 and then Emperors used the title of King of Italy until the death of Emperor Charles V in 1558. Emperor Charles V was crowned King in Germany (but not King of Germany) by Pope Leo X. He was probably the most powerful Emperor since the early Middle Ages. The title of King of Italy was not subsequently used, so like the title of King of Germany should probably not be used by anyone.

Given the history of G10 with players claiming titles which they should not use it is probably a gift for any propagandist who wishes to lampoon the pretensions of certain rulers. I vaguely recall one suggestion that a certain character could claim the title of King of the Moon and others commenting on how ridiculous it made them appear. The Papacy also seems to have accumulated some very obscure titles over time, but I chose to limit those I used - so long as people knew who I was and what authority the title gave so there could be no dispute over how it was used. With a title like Holy Roman Emperor, I don't think there is much dispute over Emperor Leopold's power so no need for him to fill the first page of any letter he sends with a catalogue of titles.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 am

J Flower wrote:

What on earth was the Rozwi chieftain talking about to the Scots ambassador?Is drinking half a bottle of whiskey compulsory to understanding ?

I tried and it didn't help...admittedly it was after watching the rugby yesterday (McCurses and McNaughty words) so that might have also had an effect

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 pm

@ Stuart. A good read & some interest over here, in the concept megagame overall.

On the upcoming China 20’s/ 30’s game, most votes for the Guanxi Clique (led by team ethnic Cantonese majority of one). Seen as economically powerful, and ability to tilt one way or the other. Viewed as potential king makers, with an ‘ideological fluidity’, that will allow many options.

I have been instructed to tell you no deals with Japanese. Everything else in play.

If we give it a go over here, I will let you know the dates. Certainly worse places to game. I starting off small though. I am rallying up players for a game of Soldier Kings, to get the ball rolling. The Empress of Hanoi has already reserved her place, as Frederick...

@ Revenant. I have reread myself. I am tilting towards typo, but it is a 50:50 call.

@ JFlowers & Papa Clement. A lot if good analysis, with some interesting points. Thank You.

@ Jason2. Was a rough result. I would go as far as a full bottle of scotch event...
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm

The Revenant wrote:Looking for a little clarification in the Dark Heart of Africa here...  Did the wedding of the Changamire Dombo and his Princess this month really take place in Abankeseso - or was that a mis-print?

A typo it was! I emailed Richard and he has confirmed that the wedding happened in Khami (which makes far more sense). So, no Rozwi alliance in the north then...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm

so its true "Fake news" has leeched its way into LGDR. oh the shame of it.

Can we then believe the news anymore,

Was it really Roses that the Tsar gave to the Archduchess & not the Tulips?

Has Charles really turned up in Spain & is the man calling himself "Charles" in Savoys hospitality lounge Really who he says he is?

Is the Apollo Assc . really the French secret service holiday club, being run on a day trip basis from Calais ?

Is the man formally known As "Duke" still an ruling aristocrat, with a Teflon waist coat that stops any Papal claims from sticking?

Will Whiskey imports to Rozwi be increased to allow for drunken rambling to become the language of diplomacy in Africa?

So many questions to be answered still, or is it actually real at all.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Kerensky wrote:@ Stuart. A good read & some interest over here, in the concept megagame overall.

On the upcoming China 20’s/ 30’s game, most votes for the Guanxi Clique (led by team ethnic Cantonese majority of one). Seen as economically powerful, and ability to tilt one way or the other. Viewed as potential king makers, with an ‘ideological fluidity’, that will allow many options.

I have been instructed to tell you no deals with Japanese. Everything else in play.

If we give it a go over here, I will let you know the dates. Certainly worse places to game. I starting  off small though. I am rallying up players for a game of Soldier Kings, to get the ball rolling. The Empress of Hanoi has already reserved her place, as Frederick...

@ Revenant. I have reread myself. I am tilting towards typo, but it is a 50:50 call.

@ JFlowers & Papa Clement. A lot if good analysis, with some interesting points. Thank You.

@ Jason2. Was a rough result. I would go as far as a full bottle of scotch event...

- Where the hell is Guanxi?  Is it down south around Hong Kong and Canton?........and no deals with the Japanese? I had feeling that if you refused to deal with them in the 1920's/1930's they did nasty things to you.

- Probably best to keep the Empress of Hanoi and the Cantonese Clique away from one of the political Conference games (Washington?).  Becky playing the Press said was horridly unfair to the Chinese.  Might be a bit like asking a bunch of Georgia State American Civil War reinactors to play on the Union side for Shermans march on Atlanta.  I have suggested to Papa Clement that he should play William of Orange or the Ottoman's......also not keen.

- Do they play much 7 a-side Rugby in Singapore like they do in Hong-Kong?  Think for Summer Olympic games in Japan Doctor of Sports Science Kerensky and his crack medical back up need to get themselves onto the Singapore Team and arrange some tickets for guests from the UK and perhaps Germany.  Jason & Jason can provide valuable info on the quality of the scotch the Empress is about to pour into any Singapore player who needs to be revived after trying to tackle some 16 stone of flying Scot etc and putting his head in the wrong place!  Sounds like one of my Agema plans......what good go wrong:cfn:

Ref the bit about Savoy still being considered to be part of the Holy Roman Empire in 1700 what baffles me is:

- Why has it not got a vote in the Imperial Diet when micro German states like the Imperial Free City of Stade has got one?

- Just because the Holy Roman Emperor agrees to your title may make it more "proper" in diplomatic papers but it does not mean you are in the Empire.  The HRE agreed to makes various Polish Nobles Princes and to the Duke of Prussia getting bumped up to King in Prussia but Prussia and Poland are not in the Holy Roman Empire.

- Ok so when the Pope Crowned the First Holy Roman Emperor in 800 AD his Empire included France, Germany, part of Spain, the UDP and most Italy and the Crown worn by the Holy Roman Emperor is still called the Iron Crown of Lombardy so I am fairly sure you can pull something out of the Imperial Records to prove an Imperial claim to say the County of Barcelona if you want (Bit like the English claim to France) but what about the Lombard League in the 1200's?  And if the Emperor Charles believed Italy was part of the Empire why did he give his lands in Italy to his son the King of Spain and not his brother the Emperor?

- Personally do not see how anyone can claim the far west of Lombardy is part of the HRE without also claiming the same for the middle, east and points south as well.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 pm

I think on the forums there is a risk for people, including myself, to mistake historical accuracy with the position that we might want to take in a game. So, I have no problem with in game the Austrian Hapsburgs claiming Savoy is part of the HRE, but with a sense of historical accuracy, if you had said to a resident of Savoy in 1700 that they were part of the HRE and the emperor had any claim of authority it would have just had been ridiculed and not given a further moments thought.

I have always thought that the forum is where we speak as modern real people rather than the in game personas we play. I enjoy the historical side of what we do as much as the gaming side. So, my comments are just a historical accuracy opinion rather than a in game persona position opinion.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Nice stadium.........a touch more modern than the Rec in Bath.

Looking at the list of sports the "Medical Team" like it would seem that 7 a side Rugby would seem to be a bit too nice and gentile for their taste. Jason Flower has the same opinion.......clearly I am the soft, cluddy, sensitive one around here. Bet they and Jason enyoyed watching the South African pack today.

As they do not seem very keen on Japan either assume 2020 Olympic games 7 a-aside will not include a Singapore team backed up by the medical team.

But will see if I can follow the advise on Chinese Warlords........as south as possibe and no deals with the Japanese. But what is the view on dealing with the party and the Kuomintang?

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 pm

On the basis that a Scotland loss to Japan = Half a bottle of Scotch to get over the victory of Singapore over Scotland in the cricket = How many bottles to get over?

Read somewhere that the later Stuart Kings of England and Scotland were keen on yachting and horse racing and the rules include fox tossing but have many players tried sports as an alternative to the court staple diet of Balls & Banquests?

in the C18 what is the main sport in your country/position? And what happens if you try anything new?

Of course in Scabble its a lot easier.......true gentlemen are marked out by their love of cricket and the march of civilization by the spread of cricket grounds across the map!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 pm

What with all my recent early starts to watch just about every game in the world cup, perhaps I need to introduce rugby into G10. Of course, couldn't call it rugby but there is the Ba game, a proto-rugby, popular in quite a lot of Scotland at various times...a slight gentrification of that could produce a rugby game.

Don't worry Stuart, no need to recover from a Scottish defeat in cricket, nasty horrible game only played by people who are really English, no true Scot would ever play it Wink

As people will soon discover, I have just opened a golf course in Edinburgh. Perhaps I should add a course to every Scottish embassy? Well, if the Dutch ambassadors can run around trying to catch butterflies, why can't mine hit small balls?
    I am tempted to open a few real tennis courts-on my commute home I used to go pass the Bristol Real Tennis Club while there is a Bath museum that is in an old real tennis court
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Will have be known the Dutch Ambassador to Spain is conducting important scientific field work, the migratory patterns of butterflies is a little known phenomenon.

He has asked for an assignment to the Far East to study the White Tatter wing Storm butterfly , which is though to cause major variations in the weather patterns of the region. thi sis of course only a theory & Van Pfanne needs to carry out a proper field study.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:34 pm

@ Stuart. Guanxi Clique. General advice (based on my & Cantonese Clique deputies perspective), if you are playing to form of the time, pledge public allegiance to the Kuomintang, but give private allegiance to the Party.

Try to be useful, constantly, never indispensable though. Useful men remain useful, the graveyards are filled with indispensable men.

Face is everything (even now, a massive factor in Chinese culture, back then, it was paramount). Any loss of temper is a huge loss of face. Provoking someone to lose their temper (subtlety), while maintaining your own calm is a huge gain of face for you. Open aggression is a sign of weakness. Making things happen without aggression is a sign of true power & influence. Which also leads to a massive gain of face.

Be fluid, and when the time is right, join one allegiance fully, but as a leader, not a follower. Do it when they really need you, and not when you need them. Even if you lack strength, always show strength. Drive a hard bargain.

Finally, do not underestimate the clan ties. Use the triads. & if you fail, suicide with poisoned tea, at a formal tea ceremony, is a classy way to fold your hand.

On sports, yes, they are on the sharper end, but linked to their hobbies. Nurse #2 is into Muay Thai and the leader of the Cantonese Clique is a Karate Black Belt. On the boxing, they just get dragged out to see me & some of my cohorts fight. & the Deputy of the Cantonese Clique captains a mixed Dragon Boat team, which sounds more civilised, until you watch her telling a large chap she will stick the paddle where it hurts, unless he paddles harder in the next race.

On G10 sports, I could investigate, but I fear the Doge’s interests are more on the boudoir olympics. I will arrange a mission to identify a suitably whimsical game for G10 Genoa/Naples.

@ Jayson, you could also try to exporting Golf to Asia earlier, given the price per game in Singapore & Shanghai, it could be a high value investment...

Or, for more serious cash, found Jardine Matheson 100+ years early. One of the original Hongs. Still controlled by descendants of the origin Jardine family (now the Keswicks). Fingers in more pies than an industrial sized pie factory contains. Logo is a thistle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardine_Matheson

@ JFlowers. The Far East has always been an enthralling place for butterfly collectors. Both of the Day & Night varieties.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Kerensky wrote:

@ Jayson, you could also try to exporting Golf to Asia earlier, given the price per game in Singapore & Shanghai, it could be a high value investment...

Or, for more serious cash, found Jardine Matheson 100+ years early. One of the original Hongs. Still controlled by descendants of the origin Jardine family (now the Keswicks). Fingers in more pies than an industrial sized pie factory contains. Logo is a thistle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardine_Matheson

I have considered forming the company if and when G10 Scotland foes into the Far East Trade Smile Know their history quite well due to their employment of Thomas Blake Glover Smile Also couple of years back helped a museum get a reasonable sized grant from the family charitable trust
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Odd how so many of the early London quoted trade companies were full of Scots - Hudson Bay Company, HSBC, HEIC, various Hongs and Miners etc. On reading Jason 2 post found it very interesting to note that Jardines partly developed out of the Trieste Company (Austrian East India Company). Which only has just been founded in G7......a few decades early. Wonder if exiled Scots are involved?

Did not think Dragoon Boat racing was very civilized.......thought it had something to do with Triads trying to drown each other?

Ref 1920/1930's China game.....not at all sure about posioned tea! What about fleeing to the USA instead with a lot of loot and reforming the Triads on the West Coast? Or Vancouver seems quite nice.

Mind you I think I should object to the opinion seeing held not only in the UK that all the characters I play are morally flexable have no principals. In historic games I like to think I stick fairly close to the historic position without any rapid changes of policy and only had the one Runequest Character who actually turned to the powers of Chaos......but it has to be admitted that last weekend I got roped into playing a Magagame in Bristol set in 1950's/1960's Cuba........and got appointed to the Mob!

People will be pleased to hear that by the end of game Las Vagas still had a major rival in Havana and other Cuban resort locations. And while things got very nasty in parts of Havanna and other parts of the Island the Havana Chamber of Commerce kept all Holiday Makers safe from harm and people kept their nasty fights away from the strip.

Not sure what the un American activities committee will make of the amount of money the State Department paid to Mayer Lansky or of the fact that the Havana Chamber of Commerce ended up backing Castro.......well his taxes were lower than the prior sake down artist and he was not an anarchist like those others! But on the positive side the Gambinoes (my lot) and Lansky were in agreement - the third mob boss had gone rogue from about turn 1 and we had evidence of him dealing with the Russians. Can not think of a better man to throw under a bus back in Washington.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Kerensky wrote:@ Stuart & Jason2
    Yes, the role of the Scots in the Far Eastern trades was huge. You can add Standard Chartered to the list, as both Standard and Chartered Banks were founded by Scotsmen. Yes, Keswick’s are a generous (charitable) and very smart family. I met Adam Keswick back in 05, in Shanghai. I was a cadet back then, acting as an ‘batman’ for one of our MD’s at an evening function. He was with Jardines Treasury, entering his 4 or 5th year on their team. He had an understated, yet totally commanding presence. Mind like a razor, high EQ and witty with it. I was in absolute awe of the man. 5th generation, and you could tell he was still the ‘right stuff’. F**k knows what they were putting in the porridge in that family, but it worked a treat.

That's quite impressive and he sounds an amazing guy to have actually met Smile As sure you've picked up on, my knowledge of Scots Trade in the Far East is more limited to China and Japan.

As to the porridge, I think it is a mix of good single malt and first rate haggis Wink

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:10 am

@ Stuart
    If she could dispense with the life jackets, she would, but given this race is on the Singapore Marina, there is no appetite for the fines... (illegal to race without them in SG).

Yep, pretty much use the other factions to tear up the Japanese, & then take control of what is left of the victorious Chinese. Extra bonus for assassinating Class A war criminals, before they get a chance to enter the history books.
    Iwane Matsui, the architect of the Nanking Massacre, is a priority target.

Use the round eyes for weapons & any other supplies (British, Germans & Americans). Offer concessions & talk big about liberal democracy to the Americans, admiration of the Empire to the British and the need for strong centralised government to the Germans. They fell for those lines historically. Use a Wife/ Mistress for you embassies. Historically, Madame Chang Kai Shek played the American’s like a Class A Orchestra (Soong Mei-Ling. Phenomenal woman, life spanned 19th - 21st Century - 1898-2003).

PS Yep, she is the drummer. Intense, but also one of the brightness and sharpest associates I have worked in 18 years.

PPS If I remember correctly, there was a Scottish Eurasian Consigliere in the Noble House trilogy (which is based on Jardine’s), who was descended from the original Tai Pan. I don’t play scrabble, but it sounds like a good character to play out.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 pm

@ Kerensky

Pity you are not playing in Scabble - Think an old China hand would find it funny as the game seems to be on a eastern drift and the influence of the Hongs like the HEIC, the Tea Cartel and the Opium Corporation seem be growing by the month. Ditto Triads, Boxers and Female Characters.

The Russians wiped out the Korean Army, killed the King and generally stamped Korea into the ground but the Queen got away and may have joined Dr Fu-Manchu. Currently trying to work out if the Oxford educated and cricket loving Queen of Transoxia is a catspaw for the HEIC or has a bunch of snobbish old duffers wrapped round her little finger. But feel that the Chin Imperial Concubines should be taking a more active role.

Help! Sharp, intense and a drummer sounds like a tough mixture to hold business talks with.

Wonder if G10 and other games of Glori would benefit from having more influence from French Royal Mistresses, The Ottoman Harem and would also like to see a English player follow history and have good Queen Ann on the throne. So far we have had King Williams who live for ages, Republics, Jacobite restorations, Georges but can anyone re-call a long running Queen Ann with Sarah Churchill etc
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 pm

I think Queen Anne has been on the throne for a fair few years in G8 though no idea if Sarah Churchill has any role.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Game 10 has arrived and the following for players and non players alike, probably has a Russian bias somewhere in there, but more likely my cynicism not being kept totally in check or my humour being too dry.

First off, the Franco -Savoyard naval blockade has been broken up by an ill wind.  Part of this wind must have carried over to the cities besiegers as disease has broken out. Is this Divine Providence? – we might never know. Rather than hiding behind rhetoric Victor Amadeus showed courage as he took to the field of battle against an Austrian sally from Genoa – wait, does that even sound right?

Further military manoeuvrings occurred to try to get a local upper hand across north Italy, with lots of uninvited guests on all sides being kept out in the rain.
    The Dutch put on a spectacular display for His Most Christian Majesty, in Calais. Shame he was not there to enjoy it, although a prominent Jacobite <can’t call him Scottish apparently> got to see the whole show instead.

Lots of people haggling over hiring mercenary troops, though one supplier showed some morals by asking who they were hiring them to.

A good month for Protestant nations with a golf course opened. Not sure how hitting a ball with a stick can be called healthy especially with the antics at the 19th hole.  A River was unblocked, now to call in the infamous Scottish lawyers over fishing boat rights or something.

In a move to upset the French, Spain suspended their postal coach service and closed their bank until the issue of French preying on Spanish merchant shipping is resolved.  However, someone forgot to notify the Spanish Bank’s PR department first.

Lots of food movements as the year begins to close out and haggling for recruits intensifies along with some closed for business reactions.

An Imperial betrothal was given and accepted, and true to form the groom to be rushes off to deal with the next pressing matter. Probably should have stopped to ask how best to arrange an imperial wedding. Still if he can get Tulips in a cosmopolitan city like Vienna perhaps there’s no stopping this monarch. Russia will not tolerate (bot)any spies in or around the new Manor house.

The Iberian Peninsula has legal issues ranging from murder to inheritance, coming out of its ears, though more lawyers probably won’t help progress any of these matters internally or externally.

That Jolly Roger Rene Trouin, Sieur du Gue has been at it again, not only had he been taking from the rich, he’s now giving to the poor. I wonder if that Wizzard has found a way to turn lead into gold?

More diplomatic tooing and froing, including Dutch concerns for prisoners of notable rank being held, presumably against their will.

Four pages of the paper taken up by discussing how to categorise books that a Catholic is allowed to read or not. While it is important to some people 8 out of 10 Russians think Tsar Peter would, had he been present, have left the meeting early on and come back for the summary at the end. As a player I did find it interesting though.

Events in Perugia with their night soil men attempting to convince people to join them on their way to church, went as well as my attempt in a previous game to use ex labourers as customs duty officers dealing with nobles crossing from England to Scotland. They made better sailors on ice breakers in the end.  Maybe the night soil men needed a bath before trying to persuade people to join them?

Reports from Africa, highlight some Traditional Religious practices that were not immediately obvious to their foreign guests and a desire to unite the continent hinterland.

Meanwhile China and Japan appear to be starting a naval arms race, but given their previous cooperation over rice shipments it might appear that the race is not against each other. Is this perhaps why His Celestial Majesty is getting impatient?

Maybe it’s getting late but the next section of the paper is full of statements, announcements, news and offers which all sound dubious in origin to my ears.  The Spanish Declaration seems most likely to be authentic out of all of them.  The Regency Council appears to be taking things into its own hands claiming a right to self determination and that all lands should revert back to how they were in 1700.

More legal advice from one of your favourite law firms who may or may not have been libelled. This time determining who could be considered a pirate. Is this another example of A SHOCKING, YET INCREDIBLY RELIABLE  TRUTH?  Maybe not as determined earlier in the paper OVER CAPITALISATION to bad arguments does not make them any more valid.

More antics from the Association. I swear this is my favourite soap, where can I get the book rights?

The Russians have failed to keep a clean sheet this year by losing a ship this month.  Note to self, ice breakers are for ice not rocks, next year I won’t make such a rookie mistake.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 am

@ Marshal Bombast. I have to give it to you Blue, that was a sharp (& amusing summary). The best satire sends up both sides, so well done! I just read this over a slow breakfast, & I was laughing rather loudly (to the chagrin of the table next to me).

@ Stuart Bailey. Why thank you for you believing in my appropriateness for Scabble. I have indeed thought about (& am thinking about) it. I am weighing it up, between existing commitment to 3 LGDR’s & a forward play in Rome, vs. ‘how much I enjoy this sh*t’. I am blessed (cursed?) with a mind that never really switches it down, so the only way for me to relax is to focus intently on something else. These games fit the bill, in so many ways. If you (or others) can think of a position that is smallish, long role play and short strategic importance, give me a shout. Maybe join in December, once I have cleared the decks on the year end ‘final dash’.

I saw you mention someone needing something on the Kingdom of Siam, in another thread. I am up in City of Angels (translation of original Thai name for Bangkok) for a long weekend reunion with my old ‘05 outfit. As the only one who has quit drinking, I am up @ 7am, while the rest surface around 3pm. So I have six plus hours to find stuff out/ take photos/ etc. You can do a lot with those Apps that convert photos to paintings (used it myself, the G9 Infanta portrait was my 5 year old daughter in Malay/ Minangkabau formal dress). I am here till Monday night, so that person can shout me, if my offer of use...

& I await the China Game outcome with patient enthusiasm.

@ All, I had a double laugh this morning, at the paper & then Marshal’s summary this morning. Clever moves & wit aplenty (along with the full montage of ‘that’s not what I/ they planned’, courtesy of El Riccardo!).

Still processing turn, but for all those interested (positively or negatively) in the Doge of Genoa, please rest assured, that ‘The Doge Abides’...

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:50 am

Think I have a problem with navies in LGDR,

G2 Prussian Yacht club, sailed out of the Baltic & Sank

G7 Russian Sailing Club Tried sailing to America & Sank.

G10 Dutch Dingy Club tried to honour King Louis & Sank.- Not sure if this was an industrial accident & may lead to a tightening of health & safety at work, I wonder if no -smoking signs are a tech breakthrough? I guess at least they sank with style.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm