Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they!

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! Empty my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they!

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Anybody got any good ideas on how to raise the lad's spirits?

I could pay them double wages, throw them a party and generally make a big fuss about them. But. That might just upset the rest of the army, since the chaps who are feeling sorry for themselves did just get their backside's kicked by the enemy.

Best case of MORALE LOW I've experienced so far, is when I had a squadron of light cavalry work on their horsemanship at a stud farm. They developed a Sick List like it was going out of fashion and then their morale dropped. Sick List was accumulating at one point a month and it didn't look good for the squadron, so I cancelled the horse obedience training 2 months before completion and then the troops became Morale Low. Perhaps would have been interesting to have allowed the obedience training to complete and see how high a Sick List score was reached.

my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! 235px-Goodbyeee_Melchett_and_Blackadder

my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! Empty Re: my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they!

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Some troops can be so ungrateful...

I find there are two approaches

1) threaten to execute 1 in 10 if they don't cheer up...and if that doesn't work, execute 1 in 10 of the rest...and repeat until they cheer up or all are dead...

2) Money. I always find money does wonders for morale. I have had troops with low morale, given them all £1 each and they have high morale the following month.

I'll let you decide which approach you want to try
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! Empty Re: my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they!

Post by The Revenant Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

I've also found (in a European context) that awarding medals (and pensions!), special recognition of any kind, really, seems to help.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

An order to "Rape, loot and pillage" and allowing the lads a three day sack always seemed to improve Ottoman Morale.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 am

Cheers for the ideas.

I could assign the Rozwi equivalent to medals and monetary reward to the cavalry on campaign (once the war is over) as they did do a sterling job in the invasion and people-herding phase of the campaign. Fault is probably my own in them being trounced by the enemy, as I got sick of waiting and sort of made them go looking for a fight ... which they did manage to do, but got ambushed in tall grass. Bugger.

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:40 pm

The "Tall Grass Memorial Scar" ? (assuming scarification is in, rather than tattooing)  Serves the purpose of both punishment and recognition!

Well, if a thing is worth saying once, it's worth saying 4 or 5 times! (Actually I got caught up in a loop of "flood control" when submitting). Anyone know how to Delete, rather than Edit, our own messages?

Last edited by The Revenant on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm

The "Tall Grass Memorial Scar" ? (assuming scarification is in, rather than tattooing) Serves the purpose of both punishment and recognition!
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm

The "Tall Grass Memorial Scar" ? (assuming scarification is in, rather than tattooing)  Serves the purpose of both punishment and recognition!
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Merit in all of the above. I have seen the application of additional rum rations do the trick!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:20 pm

The Revenant wrote:The "Tall Grass Memorial Scar" ? (assuming scarification is in, rather than tattooing)  Serves the purpose of both punishment and recognition!

Well, if a thing is worth saying once, it's worth saying 4 or 5 times!  (Actually I got caught up in a loop of "flood control" when submitting).  Anyone know how to Delete, rather than Edit, our own messages?

That's odd, I logged on to say you can delete via the "edit post" option...but when I went to double-check that was the right way, though when you hover a cursor over the 'edit' option 'edit/delete' appears, when you go into the 'edit' option, the 'delete' button seems to have disappeared confused
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Its normally just a moderator or the forum owner who can delete posts or topics. But I've never moderated a forum using this template, so I could be wrong.

I'll get creative with the Shikra Regiment, 2nd Squadron and see if I can shift the low morale status (they're the guys who were horse obedience training). They're currently at Inhambane, so I'll see if the friendly Scottish chap, there, brought and knows how to play the bagpipes my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! 2962972013 my troops have only gone and become MORALE LOW. how dare they! 313066936

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 pm

As in "cheer up you lot...or he'll play those things at you"? Wink
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Ooh, just think Jason, if your chap does have his bagpipes he could inspire the creation of the vuvuzela!  Razz (quickly finds a Youtube video off Google...)

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:07 pm

I thought the vuvuzela had been declared a crime against humanity and it's use in warfare banned by the Geneva Convention? Wink

If you don't mind me asking, which method did you try to improve morale and did it work?
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Well I've split my nation to six parts each will have standing troops where they can get to know the locals well, move their families to be closer and I hope not traveling around too much will improve their morale long term.

Also my Emperor plans to meet them on tour and show how important he sees the armed forces and since they are a defensive and police force they won't see combat unless invaded and well they will be protecting their loved ones in their home zone. I wouldn't want to be an invader.

So did you have your leader meet his troops and maybe dine with them and do some training to show he gives damn?
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 pm

One unit of low morale I've made inactive (read to save money) and am interested to see if they're still low morale after a year.

Other units are a military formation on the march and haven't made it back to camp, so haven't had chance to do anything yet as battle preparations are the priority.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:57 pm

One idea the warriors are fighting a rival nation for land, did you consider giving the soldiers some land and let them and retire some units placing them in the new territory it would show you give back to your armies for their risk and it will add friendly people to the new land who would support your nation tossing out an idea that worked for Rome in ancient times.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:39 pm