Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

New EU paying laws.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

New EU paying laws. Empty New EU paying laws.

Post by J Flower Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:46 am

Just a quick question,

Many of us I take it use Credit Cards to pay for turns, or PAy pal or whatever other means.

I've seen in the News recently that New EU laws are coming into force in September I think, that regulate on-line sales.

Just wondering what, if any impact this will be having on our gaming community?

Sorry if this seems a touch serious, but I hope someone out there has a clue about it.

Mike
    Mike
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 83
    Registration date : 2018-09-08

New EU paying laws. Empty Re: New EU paying laws.

Post by Mike Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Not heard anything about it . In what way do they intend to regulate it . Not all regulation is bad .
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm

I hadn't heard anything about this, but reading the link I don't think it will make any difference.

Whichever payment method you use, the provider (Paypal, credit card provider etc) might introduce different authentication, but the rule does specify exemptions for "beneficiaries classed as trustworthy by the payer" (i.e. Agema), "low value transactions" (up to €30), and "transaction risk analysis of the payment service provider results in low risk" (which I think means that if a criminal was to try to use Agema for fraud, it would be logged on a list and tougher authentication would be required, but until this happens, Agema would be classed as low risk so not affected).

As a somewhat technologically backward luddite, it won't surprise you that I don't have a smartphone and it seems rather odd to me if a law would be passed which means I couldn't pay my game turn fee without confirming it by fingerprint or voice-ID.

Not all new regulations are good, indeed many are not. If you have not had the opportunity, I strongly recommend listening to this year's Reith Lectures by Lord Sumption about the role of politics and law. Among the many thought-provoking points he makes is one that where politicians fail (either to address a situation or to draft a comprehensive legal solution to a problem), power does not simply disappear, but is transferred to judges. Judges reduce complex decisions to binary outcomes (guilty or not guilty, a particular law applies or does not apply, thereby creating precedents). This, he argues, often creates bad law. As a recently retired Supreme Court Judge, he has a lifetime experience of the subject. He also has some rather interesting observations on sovereignty and democracy.

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 pm

I agree with Papa and doubt it will make much difference other than might introduce different authentication - though with the categories the payment providers listed will likely need to make some changes. I agree too about making Agema a trustworthy beneficiary.

Some payment providers have already introduced this technology. My bank uses my fingerprint on smart phone app and my online rpg account uses an authenticator app for certain transactions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content