Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+13
Goldstar
Jason2
Papa Clement
Ardagor
count-de-monet
jamesbond007
one grain of grain
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Rozwi_Game10
revvaughan
17 posters

Game 8

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Game 8 - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by revvaughan Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    On subject of counter int in games do players prefer agents or watch units?

Paying well to be well informed! Any combination that works. The main thing is that it will cost money to have good sources in every corner of the globe. It also takes time before they are reliable and don't get caught.

king
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

Have to admit to being a bit in the doldrums with this game. It was fun dragging La Belle France up to what it ought to be from five year's of mouldering unattended, but then what am I to do with it? The Economy is fixed, Honour is high, we have whatnots of this and that and everything I could think of invented and distributed. Poking the English in the Press is fun, but barely makes up for the tedium of moving-around grain and bayonets and up-dating drill-practices. What might I be missing? (Answers not on a postcard, please, to this address.)
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

From my perspective, I agree with the above. There comes a time when the above is mundane.

I prefer war and takeovers. Or to put it another way. Growth. If I played France. I would look to rule the entire Americas or wage war with either Spain or England.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

From my reading of the forums, that's how a lot of French players have gotten into trouble. France is a big, powerful position. But invincible it isn't. I think a lot of players have overplayed the position and the coordinated response has been more than France could handle. Add to that my own experience is that even things that ought to be silly easy, aren't.

I'm sure those who have played in more games than I will have a better perspective on it.

Taking that lesson, I've had more limited goals for Hispania in game 8. I have found that Richard throws stuff at you as a large position, and I'm not sure I want the problems that conquering more stuff would bring to just the logistics of organizing a large position. I'm still thinking about it... Twisted Evil

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Maybe the French problem is the same for some of the other "Big positions" On the one side players see they have a large powerful position & are prepared to throw their weight around a bit,afterall, why have a huge military force unless you are going to commit it . Some do it well, some over do it & bite off more than they can chew.

Viewed from the other side of the fence, other players know that the big positions like France are powerful & that makes alliances to counter them easier to form.

Historically we have all read the books about French expansion & react accordingly
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

I think the bit about alliances is probably important. I think a lot of the things I've read suggest that when France tries to do it all solo they often end up in trouble.

My Hispania turns are quite expensive. I'm sure it would get much worse if I was trying to fight a war against multiple other players who were coordinating against me.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 am

My experience (and throw into the mix my in-game paranoia!) is that France is the hardest position to play in terms of diplomacy. It does start as the largest and most powerful single nation, well in Europe anyway, and as a result it tends to be targeted. I think it is natural for humans to aspire to be "the best" and so France begins with the big target on its chest. Nations will aspire, rightly, to be better than France and that can means alliances to counter it, actions to reduce its power and resource.

I agree, France is not invincible and any French ruler trying it alone will make life tougher for themselves but my over-riding sense is that France is THE nation to be challenged from day 1.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

France starts off as the strongest power without doubt. But I think in game 8, two nations in particular have just about caught them.

I get the impression the French player wishes to bring La Glorie days back to France.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am

I have definitely seen other nations, in game, clearly over-take the power of France and dis-lodge them from being the single biggest power. It is achievable.

French rulers need to understand and accept that too, otherwise they are heading for a big head-ache !
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am

In game 8. I would place France third on my list of strongest powers.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am

The Real Louis wrote:Have to admit to being a bit in the doldrums with this game. ... but then what am I to do with it?

I know you've not asked for answers on a postcard, but ... if it was me, and using my experience playing Rozwi, I'd go for a bit of colonial adventure in Africa. The continent is huge, with vast swathes of land and whole npc countries for you to mix it up with without involving any other real-world players. No doubt there'd be diplomatic storms in tea cups over the action, with various allegations thrown at Louis no matter how you justify the decision. But if you pick the correct African location to mess with, you'll have the fun of fighting a war against Richard and if you're successful the rewards will only be lots of Black African heathens and not much else - no gold, no diamonds, not much in the way of ivory, yes some zebra skins and Big Cats, but nothing else. It'd be something to do, though. And if France already has treaties in place with Portugal, not to attack each other's properties or territories, then West coast or East coast of south of the Equator Africa, I'm sure you'd have no European issues to deal with while you have a bit of fun in Game 8.

[edit: the Black African heathens bit should be best viewed in the historical context of the game. it isn't me being racist]
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Lots of very thoughtful responses there, much appreciated, which have helped to clarify my (slight!) discontent. The (or a) "problem" with France is that no player-king is likely to attack it unprovoked, but if France actively inveigles herself into a war with another player, all the rest are likely to join in against her - making any such aggression inadvisable (especially for a cautious player). So, I can attack non-player realms with (relative) impunity - but as pointed out, like Spain, I really don't want an even bigger territory to rule - it's cumbersome enough already. Or I could indeed aim for some small tribal wars in Africa,but I know from past experience that is not a particularly easy or satisfying option (Richard is too tricky, and European armies are a poor match for guerrilla forces). I'm looking for interest, not frustration. But your answers have certainly set me thinking along some new lines, and I'll see what I can come up with for my own continuing entertainment. Thanks all again.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

The Real Louis wrote:...European armies are a poor match for guerrilla forces...

I very much hope so Twisted Evil I'm trying my best to not have to fight any other players...but if some gun-wielding Whites do turn up, then Rozwi will be resorting to the methods of asymmetric warfare.

Still haven't decided what I'm doing, next turn, in Game 8.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 am

Game 8 has dropped.

The Hispanic wedding has finally happened. damn the weather and wind for all the delays.

Apparently I'm so conniving I don't even know my own plots since apparently my ambassador has offended the Elector of Brandenburg and been ejected. I am not sure whether I should be amused, or declare war. At least it gives me something to contemplate after the exhaustion of getting the wedding done! Though perhaps my ambassador was spending too much time with young Prussian officers or something. All that cadence marching and men in fancy uniforms does lead to a fair bit of vice.

Matters between Sweden and Russia seem to be heating up a bit. I think the new Tsar is justifiably annoyed that he had to pay so much to get Tsar Peter killed when there were so many who would have been willing to cut him quite a deal on that.

Russia is working hard to bring together all the Orthodox. I wish him luck with that since my experience from Game 3 was that for every 2 orthodox there were 3 opinions on a subject.

William Kidd seems to be loose in the Caribbean and seems to have a sizeable fleet of 11 cruisers.

The Danes have claimed the Nicobar islands. A lot of disease there historically, but Richard always keeps us guessing so we'll see if it ends as badly as it did the first time...
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 am

Somewhat shocked at the Prussians kicking out your Ambassador as well.

One more Royal wedding come up and hope that we can make it through the winter without gun smoke filling the air. We shall see.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 am

There is a certain protocol to it all, isn't there? You make a public accusation, mention the ambassador's habit of beating up widows and doing anatomically improbable things with livestock, that sort of thing.

Or at least write a letter telling me how much I smell of elderberries.

But one thing I've learned with Richard is to not to leap to conclusions. The elector of brandenburg could have said he wanted to move us into a bigger embassy and that got translated into "move them out." Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Deacon wrote:
    There is a certain protocol to it all, isn't there? You make a public accusation, mention the ambassador's habit of beating up widows and doing anatomically improbable things with livestock, that sort of thing.

Or at least write a letter telling me how much I smell of elderberries.

But one thing I've learned with Richard is to not to leap to conclusions. The elector of brandenburg could have said he wanted to move us into a bigger embassy and that got translated into "move them out." Very Happy

Did you forget to send a Wedding invite to the Elector? Or did the bride and groom not send a thank you note for the Wedding gift sent by the Elector?

Damn have never charged a Envoy with beating up widows and sheep worrying........clearly need to up my game.

Think the worst I have done to a proper envoy was as Spain in G7 I threw out a Jacobite Envoy (former player not current Jacobite player who is exact in such matters) in disgrace and called him a cad and a bounder when he handed over a letter which gave James II the title of "Most Catholic Majesty". May have been a accident but it might not have been since I never got a sorry for this blatent case of title napping!

Rather more nasty to the courier who passed on order to Bey of Rumelia ordering him to execute possible rival to the new Sultan (who just happened to be the Bey's Nephew) plus transfer a lot of Rumelia land to the Sultanate. Courier's head got set up on a stake outside of Constantinople with offending message nailed to his head.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

Well, I had thought not getting invited to a wedding you just cursed the bride (sleeping beauty).

I clearly need to pick up an ottoman position or something like it. All these traditional European powers are far too effete to properly dismember an annoying courier.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 am

This thread seems to have died a bit of a death.

Did ask Richard if Austria was available in this game, as it apparently isn't I have done the next best thing & taken Bavaria, a bastion of Germaness, Would welcome any updates either here or in game letters.

Will be good to play in the HRR again.

Look forward to making new friends & meeting old comrades.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Welcome.

Spain and Portugal are united under one player. France is active. Moghul India controls the whole of India bar about four towns. Those are the big boys.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Welcome, the more the merrier.

You have probably read the latest newsletter. Russia is looking for a fight with France for some reason.

Austria want to go on a crusade against the Ottomans, while the Ottomans is grabbing some territory along the Persian border.

The Great Moghul have conquered most of India but have suffered huge losses.

Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:11 pm

J Flower wrote:Did ask Richard if Austria was available in this game, as it apparently isn't.

Just in case anyone was wondering, I have not taken on Austria in G8 - the twin barriers of lack of a navy and playing a Hapsburg proved insurmountable.

I hope you enjoy Bavaria, JFlower - a very Catholic country, should be a change from Russia and UDP.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm

It does sound like G8 is livening up. I have to say the success of Moghul India is quite outstanding
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:48 am

jamesbond007 wrote:In game 8. I would place France third on my list of strongest powers.

What are the rankings based on your ideas? I believe that the world stage is about to get rather interesting in Game 8.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 am

Glad to see some new faces (not new but you get my point)... The British Government looks forward to corresponding with the new arrivals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:49 am