Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+6
Regor
Nexus06
Deacon
Kingmaker
Jason2
SteelCityTyke
10 posters

Turn 1.....Exciting times

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Turn 1.....Exciting times - Page 2 Empty Re: Turn 1.....Exciting times

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:23 pm

sammon wrote:Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply, i am feeling in over my head at the moment, but looking forward to finding my way through this new venture.

I did play GOK as Portugal a few years back so hope this will give me some pointers and how to play.

This game does seem to be vastly different, so I will dip my toes in and make a start.

Thank you for all your help and advice,

all the best

Danny Lodge (sammon).

Next Consular election is in May 821 so time may be a bit short to finish the invasion of Britannia and win Election as a victorious General. You might therefore just want to get members of your faction to stand for a more minior treasury position while your chap celebrates his victory with a "Triumph" and a nice set of games.  Then stand for Consular election in 822.

Too further improve chances for your faction to sweep too victory in 822 you probably want to sweep the former Empress of Nero off her feet with your manly Roman charms.  Then with your lackey No2 consul find a crisis which needs the two consuls to agree that a "Dictator" is required and then another crisis which changes position to "Dictator for Life" or Emperor.  SIMPLES I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Well actually what could go wrong might include:-

1) The natives failing to understand that you command the invincible Roman Army and your political career needs a "Triumph" over the Barbarians on your CV.  Lost Eagles and Legions do not look good on your record.

2) Troops betting so happy about your victory that they declare you Emperor early in effort to short cut the correct process.  Might work but last couple to try it have been drowned in Red tape and legal challenges by Roman Traditionalists.  

3) You are on an island - getting off involves risk of drowning.

4) The other three major parts of the Army (Rhine, Danube and East) may not agree with the obvious fact that you are the best man for the top job.

5) You could get knifed in the Senate or under some statue.

However I am sure that beating up the "Blue" boy in the north will soon help to calm a lot of possible doubts.  And Druidic curses in RIB hardly even result in fleets sinking and generals being hit by lightning......honest. Very Happy

Regor likes this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi Sammon, (and Stuart - of course) good to have you on board. Let me know if I can help?

I’ve been AWOL for a couple of weeks so I’m catching up - and still have a lot to work through.

in addition to what you know already - just take it steady at first. It’s not the same as LGDR and it’s this amazing set of rules first outing. Anything can happen. And does.

I would say that players need to build up their positon carefully and be VERY careful with the SL. The rebel scum formally known as the Imperial Guard have proven VERY tough and have now been resting for months as the forces of law an order have raced about getting knackered and having lumps knocked off them.

Morale is very important.

Don’t forget to invest in games/statutory and the like….

Inventing things seems to go wrong.

Ordering other players units seems to go wrong.

Weird stuff hapens. One of my Units just up and left a northern province and has joined a NPC (?) .

Enjoy the ride… and write to Geminus..

Jason2 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:37 am

On the subject of the "weird stuff" mentioned by Regor I would place RIB somewhere between Glori and Scrabble - the later a game played by some people with really odd immaginations who are probably also fans of Lovecroft and Steam Punks in real life.

Probably the major element of "weird stuff" which has a major effect on the game is "Omens". So far two major troop movements have done a 180 degree turn ro returned to base at high speed after getting really bad omens.

Players seem to fall into three camps I) Those who believe the Gods (Agema) give them warnings about stupid and reckless actions via Omens. Basically their "Advisors" in Glori are replaced by their sacred chickens in RIB. Probably should be noted that chickens tend to dislike boat rides and it puts them off their food so the Governor of Germany is now convinced that he should never cross water or go near the stuff unless crossing it on a proper stone bridge.

II) Those who think "Omens" are a random factor which can effect troop morale for good or ill. As such really bad Omens probably need to be followed as really poor morale can wreck even the best plans. Such players also tend to believe that Druids and even the High Priest of Rome are looking at ways to shave the dice which is a lie and a slander at least in so far as the High Priest is concerned! Druids different story.

III) Those who just ignore such "weird stuff" and never call for an Omen before a battle etc. Then get baffled when their troops get battered by large Germanic types zonked out of their mind on herbal potions and howling at the moon who now believe themselves taken over by the power of Odin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:49 am