Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

Very Important Question

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Very Important Question Empty Very Important Question

Post by Nexus06 Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Esq. Gents

I'll be turning 47 next mont... well, in a couple of weeks.

As we all know, 47 years for a man marks the end of adolescences (i know in some countries a man of 47 years is considered old, but i have decided that i have not his to do with those cultures).

Gettin older means more troubles on my poor back, but also getting older means getting wiser, and i'm already experiencing an increased wisdom!

To demonstrate that, i have decide to gift me a nice bottle of whisky.

BUT

I want to acquire an extremely good Whisky! As far as i know, Whisky and engineers all come from one place and one only

SCOTLAND

Is there here a son of that noble land who could kindly enlighten me about the argument?

regards

Luca
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Very Important Question Empty Re: Very Important Question

Post by Regor Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:38 am

Well not from Scotland but I have a brother near Perugia: Frankly whiskey's pleasures depends on your tastes. Do you like it "peaty"? Do you add ice, a mixer or just a drop of water?

Before spending a lot of money - do your research... You can find a set of miniatures on line and do a home tasting.

Then follow your enjoyment ... let me know how you get on.

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 am

Ohhh, this could be a long answer Nexus Smile

I'll start by saying there's not really such a thing as a good or bad single malt, just there's a different one for everyone. To give an example, I love Laphroaig https://www.laphroaig.com/en/ It has an incredible taste and that includes it tasting very peat-y. Now a lot of people I know hate it, describing it as being like drinking mud because of the taste. I wouldn't recommend it for the novice whisky drinker (at least, not a whole bottle!).

From what you've said, not sure how much experience you have of whisky, but here are a few options, have included links to the distillery websites, hope they work ok

1) There is Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt https://www.glenfiddich.com/uk/collection/core-range/12-year-old/ It is a nice middle of the road whisky, don't think I know of anyone who objects to it but that is partly because it is a bit bland compared to most single malts. I would say if you're the sort of person who likes a "nice whisky" at Christmas, then its the one for you. The distillery does do a lot of other single malts
    2) There is Oban Whisky https://www.obanwhisky.com/ and Talisker https://www.malts.com/en-row/distilleries/talisker/ Both distilleries do a range of single malts and both are popular, with more distinctive flavours than Glenfiddich
    3) another range of good whisky with distinctive flavours is the products of the Glen Nevis Distillery https://www.bennevisdistillery.com/ It is a smaller independent distillery and its prodcust harder to track down
    4) Ardberg Distillery does excellent whisky https://www.ardbeg.com/en-gb and for some reason it's become a lot easier to get hold of in the last year or so
    5) Jura is another excellent one and also popular www.jurawhisky.com
    6) I don't want to say "go for this whisky" but if I were to push you towards any single distillery, it would have to be Highland Park, in Orkney https://www.highlandparkwhisky.com/en It does an excellent range of whiskies, and trades on the Orcadian Viking heritage, both in the bottle artwork and names it gives to many of its products.

To be honest, could list another 20 I suspect but hopefully that gives you a feel.

A possibility could be (if budget permits) to perhaps get some miniatures, try them out and that might help you find a full bottle? There is an excellent whisky shop in Edinburgh, on the Royal Mile, called "Royal Mile Whiskies" https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/ who do mail order.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:54 am

Top advice
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks Jason! Excellent suggestions, I’ll give them a try!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Just glad I could help Smile Please feel free to ask again, but not around much so might be a delay before I reply Smile

If I can give one additional piece of advice, it's worth considering getting some good cheese (and nice appropriate biscuits) to have with the whisky. There is little more pleasureable than a good single malt and the cheese of your choice
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:45 pm

I have friends at my cricket club who hold it as holy writ that there is a perfect whisky for everyone......you just have to find it.

They believe this so strongly that that they are now loyal and paid up members of a body called the Scottish Whisky Society which I believe may be linked to the Whisky Museum in Edinburgh (Jason can probably advise if its worth a visit).

And every year they can not play cricket for two weeks in the season because they have gone walking in Scotland with the route based on visiting various distillers as they each look for their perfect whisky.

It should be pointed out they have now been doing this for twenty years and are all still looking for their individual perfect "one".  I suspect that stories about Nessie, Hagi and a perfect whisky for everyone may be something put out by Scots Inn Keepers.

Personally I do not like the like most whisky and would be in the group which says Jason favourite highland tipple tastes like mud.  As said group leader tried to prove their point that everyone could find a whisky they like I managed to dislike most of the Higlands, The Great Glen, Spayside and various other sides as well.  But I was finally forced to admitt a 20 year old single malt from Islay drunk 50/50 with water (with water in seperate glass) was actually not unpleasant and had a really nice smell.  I find most whisky really harsh, or muddy, or both but this was very mellow.

Sorry I am unable to advise which distillery on Islay this one was from.  Jason may me able to confirm how the Islay and other Island whisky compares to the Scots Highland whisky.  He may not even consider it a proper Scots whisky since you are half way to Ireland.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 am