Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
count-de-monet
Kingmaker
jamesbond007
revvaughan
8 posters

Playing by E-mail

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Playing by E-mail - Page 2 Empty Re: Playing by E-mail

Post by Kingmaker Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Well I believe that MC would kill off the battle side of things. Smaler nations may benefit. BUT in this time the bigger nations ruled the roost the armies eithe took what they wanted from the land the entered or crossed. As for munitions surely a baggage trayne would suffice? or captured magazines?

It would mena I could not move too far from home as Russia and as Spain my over seas ventures /colonies would collapse!
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm

I would have to agree with Kingmaker... We have to be careful that we don't place too many restrictions on the powers ins the game. From my point of view the larger powers are already too limited in the MC arena, but I understand and appreciate the reason that it is being done. I believe that more than a change in the logistics area of the other games would be required in order to make the intended change playable.
    Richard D. Watts
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Richard D. Watts Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Ok thanks for all the feedback, the way forward (if there is one!) appears to be keep it simple and not restrictive. Dare I say reading this I sometimes think players would prefer if we just dumped all reference to logistics completely(!), since there is a small degree of hysteria in the replies, probably induced by a fear of Agema wrecking the game for you all!

However, some of the comments appear unfounded - for example under existing L7 rules provision already exists for troops living off the ground, and magazines already supply gunpowder and the like in the L7 rules.

The mc's were introduced precisely because what was happening was looking way too unrealistic in the games - a study of 18th century military campaigns as opposed to thinking 'I can do anything, why not?' reveals stringent restrictions on how armies and navies worked. There has to be some way of reflecting this in the game, some mechanism needs to be at work.

Also, there is an assumption that all fleets and armies should always be supplied otherwise they can't move. This again is not the case in the game - the attrition losses reflect real life losses which even well stocked armies could suffer, again I point to attrition suffered during Marlborough's march to the Danube. However I can understand players finding such losses to be annoying and just because they happened in real life is perhaps not justification enough to grind away at players in this manner.

Ahem, this is turning into a rant so I'll end with this! Despite my own objections to player objections you guys are the players so we'll go away and figure out what to do, if anything. To conclude, I hear that players want a simple system, easy to comprehend, with not much by way of restrictions. The counterbalance to this, in order to have an historically based game, is to have a system rewarding clever play and to bring a reflection of real historical choices and restrictions into play. That will be Agema's future objective in this area: to develop something which matches both criteria, if that proves possible.

Thanks to everyone for taking part - Agema will end the discussion here, but thanks for the feedback, it's invaluable.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:09 pm

I would like to thank Richard for the discussion on the proposed rule changes. Great to hear everybodys views.
    Perhaps, we are at the stage where this great game, cannot be improved upon, without creating more problems if we do tinker with it?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 pm

I am thinking of going down the email route any tips on how Richard runs it?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:10 pm

I think the email route is so much better, and ends reliance on a Postal Service that strikes !

You normally get three emails per turn. The first is what I call the "nation sheet", where all information such as military, diplomats, family and treasury are listed. The second and third tend to be PDF files, one is the newspaper the other letters written to you.

You may get a fourth file at December and April turns to cover income and expenditure.

Files sent to Richard have to be in Rich Text Format (easy to do on word software) with orders and letters being sent in two separate files.

It really is easy. I'd be happy to help out in any way I can if you go down this route.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 am

thanks will be in touch soon
    noticen24
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-06-24

Post by noticen24 Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks for that, whne I was told what I was told, I was a bit surprised but the player in question (in game 6) was quite sure this was the case.

Weight Loss Pills Review
    Eye surgery
    vatansever223
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by vatansever223 Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:08 pm

some games hae slightly different rules regarding troops and supplies/movements Richard can clarify this if he reads this post...

business opportunity
    aircard for laptop

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:59 pm